Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi All

Just hoping somebody could assist me with a problem that I Have?

I have a GMC Sierra 2500HD Pick Up with 5th wheel attachment as we are buying a 5th wheel.

Due to a short delay we are waiting to pick up the 5th wheel trailer, so in the mean time we brought a small 2 berth caravan just to see us though.

The GMC Already had a normal tow bar on and I have just purchased a reciever with a UK Ball to be able to tow the UK caravan.

Now comes the good bit on the pick up I have a USA 7 Blade Socket and on the UK caravan I have the normal UK plug. I dont really want to cut the caravan plug off as i want to sell the caravan when we take delively of the 5vr any advice greatly received.

Many Thanks

Ant & Debs

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know if its posible but could you make/have made a short convertion cable...uk socket and us plug.

if not then just disconnect the plug off the van and when you sell it put the plug back on...simple to fit if you note the original wire colour configuration.

otherwise you'll have to fit a full wiring setup to the pickup with split charge relay etc and if the pickups quite new it may be on a canbus system which means a special wiring harness.

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
What i am going to do with my truck when it gets here is ,splice in a UK socket and keep the US one just for the 5er.

I wont be bothering with a split charge for the caravan as it will be for sale in 3 weeks time,(back in our static then) way before our truck and 5th wheel gets here.

Ian & Doreen

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Personnaly, wire up a new UK socket on the truck AND watch the stop wiring. The standard US plug will very likely give you flashing stop lights when indicating even if the trucks been UK converted for it's own lights.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as i said in my earlier post...if its a new truck it will be on a canbus system and getting a dedicated wiring loom (us to uk) could be a problem.

not something you can do at home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
as i said in my earlier post...if its a new truck it will be on a canbus system and getting a dedicated wiring loom (us to uk) could be a problem.

not something you can do at home.

Thanks pappajohn its a 2005

Ant & Debs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back