Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
See what you get for aimlessly surfing the web :whatthe:

Spain to outlaw use of GPS navigation devices while driving.

Spain's Congress of Deputies last Wednesday gave approval to a measure that makes it a crime to use a GPS device while behind the wheel. The provision appeared as part of a broader measure designed to update the traffic code with measures that encourage motorists to pay fines without challenge.

Radar detectors are already illegal in Spain, but because satellite navigation devices come as factory options on most modern vehicles, officials could not easily outlaw their ownership. Instead, government ministers proposed to restrict GPS use since the devices are increasingly being loaded with maps that warn motorists of locations where speed cameras are in use.

"Driving using helmets, headsets or other devices that reduce the emphasis on driving or manually using mobile phones, navigation devices or any other communication system," earns three points and a 200 euro (US $275) fine, according to the legislation.

On the table of offenses, using a GPS is now more serious than driving 30 MPH over the speed limit which merits just two points. To encourage prompt payment of speeding tickets, the legislation also removes points altogether for driving less than 19 MPH over the limit on a freeway. The 100 euro (US $140) fine is discounted by half as long as it is paid immediately.

The most serious punishment of all goes to anyone convicted of attempting to thwart a speed camera with a laser or radar jamming device or a radar detector. This represents more points than is awarded for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) and is equal to the number of points for an aggravated DUI.

"Driving vehicles with mechanical equipment or systems installed that are designed to evade traffic monitoring, or with devices that have the same intention, as well as use of radar detection systems," earns six points according to the legislation.

The Ministry of the Interior will be responsible for developing regulations to implement the legislation within six months of becoming law.:RollEyes:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2009/spain-gps.pdf

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
See what you get for aimlessly surfing the web :whatthe:

Spain to outlaw use of GPS navigation devices while driving.

Spain's Congress of Deputies last Wednesday gave approval to a measure that makes it a crime to use a GPS device while behind the wheel. The provision appeared as part of a broader measure designed to update the traffic code with measures that encourage motorists to pay fines without challenge.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2009/spain-gps.pdf

I came across this proposal a year ago and asked the question on the forum regarding the legalities of using GPS devices in Spain?

There was a varied and unsure response.

I consider it no more distracting than using a rear-view mirror and found it a real boon to safe travel over there,when "off the beaten track".

Does anyone know if this also applies in Portugal?

I. like quite a few, rely on the sat nav when traveling through these countries as we like exploring the lesser traveled parts...:ROFLMAO:

Surely these cameras are "safety" devices and not designed as a revenue-making tool to top up the countries coffers....:RollEyes:

If that is so, what is the harm of being aware of them and travelling accordingly?:Doh:

Last edited:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Surely these cameras are "safety" devices and not designed as a revenue-making tool to top up the countries coffers....:RollEyes:

If that is so, what is the harm of being aware of them and travelling accordingly?:Doh:

You are not supposed to ask questions like that, no matter how rational they may be. You are a member of the public, therefore dim witted and sheep like. just shut up and pay the bonus ( sorry, fine )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Gps

Can't see a problem with GPS. The girl tells you where to turn and to me that better than trying to see it on a small screen.
Ivan:winky:

chas

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
32 long years !
Well done Spain :Doh: Well we will just have to try to read an atlas on our laps again.
Come the revolution, these idiot rule makers will be the first put up against the wall. :Angry:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi from what I understand it is the facility to access the GPS while moving as this could cause a accident, all new devices cannot be accessed while moving as are new GPS fitted to vehicles. They have had some very bad accidents caused by changing the address on their GPS while moving.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This sentence needs clarification ...

that makes it a crime to use a GPS device while behind the wheel.

In particular the word USE .. ie .. operate

It is also an offence to use or operate or USE a GPS unit in the UK while driving, listening isn't an offence

Just as it would an offence to USE an electric toothbrush while driving, but not to have one in the car.

So, if the GPS unit was in front of the navigator, out of reach and sight of the driver, it couldn't be used .. could it ?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
:, all new devices cannot be accessed while moving as are new GPS fitted to vehicles. :

Can you explain this please? In car GPS seems to be fitted in the central cd/radio space and would be accessible. Portable GPS can be positioned anywhere.
thanks
Violet

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This is another case that highlights the lunacy of the European Union, we have 28 countries that will always be poles apart and a bunch of power hungry , greedy politicians trying to make us the same. A Frames, vignettes etc. Confusion reigns :Doh::Doh:

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
"The most serious punishment of all goes to anyone convicted of attempting to thwart a speed camera with a laser or radar jamming device or a radar detector. This represents more points than is awarded for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) and is equal to the number of points for an aggravated DUI.

"Driving vehicles with mechanical equipment or systems installed that are designed to evade traffic monitoring, or with devices that have the same intention, as well as use of radar detection systems," earns six points according to the legislation."

So even if the GPS was with the navigator, you could still get done :Eeek: if you had speed camera POIs on your unit.:Angry:

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Just before christmas we had one of the trafficos many campaigns against, ie drinking and driving,seat belts,and GPS. The GPS campaign was clarified at the time as operating (touching screen) the actuall use of was fine as long as not in a position to obstruct drivers veiw. As far as i know satnavs have the abililty to disconnect the speed camera warning facility therefore unless checked and found to be in operation there should not be any problem. I say this to the best of my knowledge but having lived here six years now i have learned ANYTHING is possible:Eeek:
trevor

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Can you explain this please? In car GPS seems to be fitted in the central cd/radio space and would be accessible. Portable GPS can be positioned anywhere.
thanks
Violet

Hi what is is as you are moving the GPS ie my TOMTOM will not let me access the memory to change the address I am traveling to, untill I stop then I can access it in order to change my destination in fixed one's it is the same or should be.
It has caused a few accidents in Spain when I was there in March I asked if mine was ok as I could not access when moving, he said that type were ok it's the other one's they were looking at but you should check. I am of tonight to Spain with our camper and will be using our Tomtom and I will check again and put it on here.
please excuse the spelling and grammer :thumb:
forgot this is not the Darkside

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
thanks
Violet

I think you will find the menus and function are not available while traverling.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We spend a lot of time at our home in Spain and have also come across these other "driving rules":
You will be fined for driving whilst wearing flip flops or shoes that do not have a heel strap.
If you travel with a dog then it must be secured to the seat or you will be fined.
If you wear glasses you must have a spare pair in the vehicle.
I'm sure there must be a little man somewhere whose job it is to dream up more of these rules!!!!
As you say you do not have to pay the on the spot fine, you can appeal but it's very expensive and time consuming I have never known someone do it.
My son got fined 200E by the French police for not wearing a seatbelt - he was at the tolls, had to get out to pay as the steering wheel was on the wrong side and when he got back in he pulled away whilst fastening his seatbelt instead of doing it before he pulled away. They were there just waiting for a GB car to come along and pounced - easy pickings!!!

JeffersonCampervan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2008
Toronto
Funster No
MH
semi-integral & Integral
Exp
Since 1990
as long as not in a position to obstruct drivers view.

I use a Garmin 770 on a suction cup windshield mount - would I be liable for fines merely due to its location on the window?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back