Motorhome Documents (1 Viewer)

Dave34m

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Funster No
I'm a New Zealander who will be travelling in Europe this year in a motorhome that will be legally owned by a friend (as I'm not a UK or euporean resident). The motorhome will be in his name but I will have insurance to include me. I have seen in other threads that documents for vehicles are checked from time to time, what documents are you required to show? Do I need a letter from the legal owner saying I am using (renting) his motorhome so they are not concerned it has been stolen.

I will be doing the normal western, central and some eastern european countries.

Regards
Dave

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Dave.

I believe you will need to carry the original documents for the vehicle and insurance plus a letter from the owner giving you permission to use the vehicle within UK and other countries.

Mike.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mike is correct except one point...
in the uk you dont legally need to carry any documents, and its advisable not to as the risk of theft is always possible.
if you get stopped you will be given a '7 day wonder'..
this is a ticket to produce the requested documents to a police station of your choice.
probably worth carrying your driving licence though as that wont be on the PNC.

the police can, and do, check at the roadside on the police national computer (PNC) to see if a vehicle is MOT tested, road taxed, insured and not stolen.

europe is a different ballgame altogether....as Mike said, ALL documents MUST BE CARRIED BY LAW.
they must be the originals and if the van isnt yours then an addressed and signed letter stating that will be advisable.
it may be worth carrying this in the uk as an aid but isnt a legality.

the van owner will need insurance with you as a named driver or for any driver.
as a foriegn national you wont get insurance in your own right.

if, for ANY reason, the van doesnt show as insured on the PNC the police now have the power to confiscate the van on the spot and it will cost approx £130 plus £12 per day storage charges to retrieve it plus you must provide proof of insurance.
errors can and do happen on the insurance database.
otherwise the vehicle is destroyed without compensation after, i believe, 14 days.

this also applies to roadworthiness..ie..bald tyres etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I would not have any letter saying you are HIRING it, a normal letter saying you have permission to use it is enough.

Peter

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your letter, Ie consent to use the vehicle should not say anything about renting or hireing unless the proper type of hire for reward insurance is in place
If its a normal private insurance with you as named driver then hireing to you for a fee would invalidate the insurance:Doh:
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would not have any letter saying you are HIRING it, a normal letter saying you have permission to use it is enough.

Peter

Your letter, Ie consent to use the vehicle should not say anything about renting or hireing unless the proper type of hire for reward insurance is in place
If its a normal private insurance with you as named driver then hireing to you for a fee would invalidate the insurance:Doh:
Geo

Ooops...forgot to mention that :Doh:

something along the line of...

I (name) authorize (name) to use this vehicle (reg No) free of charge for an indefinate period. (signed and address)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back