At last... a proper BBQ which is portable and cleans iteslf (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Think a few have got them, saw one being used at Falkirk Wheel meet...

Not sure it was up & running quite within 10 minutes...

I have a Lidl "Special" Florabest BBQ...
$_86.JPG

Also claims 10mins but more like 15-20 in real use... Uses a tiny amount (cupfull) of charcoal (y).

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For me a BBQ needs a dome/lid so I can roast a whole joint or chicken as opposed to just having the ablilty to grill. The Webber Go Anywhere of Smokey Joe does the trick.
A certainly agree about the lid
Our first BBQ was a Webber and it cooked a treat, however it was quite slow to light and messy to empty
Hoping that this one will be cleaner

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
For me a BBQ needs a dome/lid so I can roast a whole joint or chicken as opposed to just having the ablilty to grill. The Webber Go Anywhere of Smokey Joe does the trick.
IIRC - I'm sure I read about somebody using a upturned wok as a dome quite successfully on the Florabest/Lotus

Edited:
Apparently Lotus do official (...and no doubt excessively priced) accessories including

Lid
how-the-hood-looks-on-the-lotusgrill-bbq1.jpg

or a glass one

As well as a Pizza Stone & Teppanyaki Plate...

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Apparently its quick easy to light, ready to cook in under 10 minutes.
Could this be a viable alternative to the Cadac?

Bought my Son of Hibachi when working in the Middle East during the 90's.

Brilliant bit of kit. Quick to heat up the charcoal in the vertical position (acts like a chimney). Fold it out and it's ready to cook. When finished, fold it back up and all the ash falls into the bottom tray. Remove ashes and place the whole thing in the snuffout bag or leave overnight to cool down safely with top damper closed.

After extensive use, the cast iron grills eventually fractured. Must buy another one, as much prefer cooking over charcoal. You can also adjust the cooking height. Defo good for 2 persons.

Well, that's my supposition based on fact this time - take it or leave it :LOL:

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Can sell you one for £20,,had it years,,,BUSBY.. Used it about 4 times,,
I ordered one already but thanks for your offer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Love the look of this, we have a Cobb, but it's not brilliant for a BBQ, may have to invest in one (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'll have it providing you can post it to me. I'll pay postage. PM me to discuss. Thanks in anticipation :D
PM d you,,

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've got a Son of Hibachi, it's very good indeed. 2 independent grills that you can raise and lower are very handy. I find I can *just* get enough out of it in one session to do a barbeque for 2 adults and 3 kids - but it wouldn't be overkill if used just to cook for 2.

Ready to cook in 10 minutes? Maybe a little optimistic, but not much. It easy to get going with a couple of small firelighters. I always use charcoal briquettes, I don't think lumpwood would work as well on one of these.

Self-cleaning? Hmm, to a point - the fat burns off it's true but don't expect it to come out sparkling!

It uses hardly any charcoal, as when you've finished you close it up and put it inside the snuff-out pouch and that kills the fire. I find about half of the charcoal that you had it full with at the start survives until next time!

The snuff-out pouch is good, but always leave it outside overnight after using it - obvious I know. I finish my barbeque, put it in the pouch well away from the van, put it under the van when I go to bed (by which point it's well & truly out and just warm) but I only put it in the garage the following day when it's stone cold.

Downside? It's quite heavy for it's size - but it's also well made, you can't have it all! It's made from cast not pressed parts, it should last for years and years.

I really like mine, best portable charcoal barbeque I've used - I'd buy another with no hesitation.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I use a chimney starter with my Webber Go Anywhere which speeds things up a bit and if you shut the vents when you're finished, it snuffs out the coals and you can reuse them, but realistically, if you're in that much of a hurry, you maybe shoudn't be barbecuing ?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We always carry an empty Quality Street tin , tip in hot charcoal when BBQ finished, lid on and it's cold and re usable in the morning.

ForeignGadger

Free Member
Feb 29, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
T5 Reimo / Wildax Aurora
Exp
since 1977
try the camping Gaz BBQs. best for all purposes. We have the 400 and it's great. the lid can also be a wok, as well as making it an oven, you have a griddle/skillet, a grill, a ribbed meat griddle and a regular gas stove.The body has a sort of doughnut water filled fat catcher which is so easy to clean.
My 2p.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The Flora/Lotus ones look ok up to a point, but I reckon you have to have some flame/meat/smoke interaction to get a proper bbq taste, gas with lava coals would be my second choice after charcoal.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I ordered one already but thanks for your offer.
From where, Robert? I can't find anywhere in the UK. And is the one you've ordered cast iron or pressed steel? They seem to have changed to the latter at some point.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
From where, Robert? I can't find anywhere in the UK. And is the one you've ordered cast iron or pressed steel? They seem to have changed to the latter at some point.
I ordered it from Amazon using the link in my first post.
I understand that the grill appears to be made from a cast metal

71C-5v2shqL._SL1024_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We've had a son of hibachi fir over a year now. As above takes a little over 10 mins to be ready.. but you have the advantage of the chimney effect to help it. Briquettes are best as lump wood doesn't fit well. Adjustable height positions are good and putting it away is simple.I know some people have had issues with the zip on the snuff out pouch but I think if you're carefully it's fine.
Great bit of kit .. but heavy (because it's quality)

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
..problem is charcoal BBQs are often banned in Europe because of the fire risk...we therefore prefer gas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back