Do we have many full timers on the forum at the moment? (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jest a wee tip on you scooter restraints
Be careful of putting too much tension on those handlebars and avoid having the brake levers pulled on, the bars have been known to bend and snap and if the levers pulled constantly on it does damage
You can buy an actual handlebar restraint strap that does better

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Well scoot sorted

View attachment 179208

Only four months to go, ferry is booked, Spain here we come.
We may be over in Spain around December January February time so we may bump in to you ...not literally lol . We are on east cost U.K. At the moment but as the weather drops we are crossing the pond . It's been 4months now full timing and we love it we are spending around £150 a week . So it's very doable

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Jest a wee tip on you scooter restraints
Be careful of putting too much tension on those handlebars and avoid having the brake levers pulled on, the bars have been known to bend and snap and if the levers pulled constantly on it does damage
You can buy an actual handlebar restraint strap that does better
Thanks for the tip @Northernraider but it's just the leftover strap that's round the brake levers, there's no tension on them.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We may be over in Spain around December January February time so we may bump in to you ...not literally lol . We are on east cost U.K. At the moment but as the weather drops we are crossing the pond . It's been 4months now full timing and we love it we are spending around £150 a week . So it's very doable
We're on the ferry late Dec to Santander @BONZO then straight down to the Med for Christmas. We're stopping on a site for a month with friends while @Mrs Badknee chills after her retirement and then who knows (y)

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Hi jac , we have just returned to the UK after eleven months touring around Europe. We have lived in our camper full time for three and a half years. We are only back for the service and mot, and then we will be off to the algarve for the winter. We drove up to Barcelona from portugal and took a ferry to Rome and then on to Greece. We then went to macadonia, serbia and on to Prague, and then north to Norway. If you need any info we can recommend a few camp sites if this helps you. . Kelso and Margit.

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Hi jac , we have just returned to the UK after eleven months touring around Europe. We have lived in our camper full time for three and a half years. We are only back for the service and mot, and then we will be off to the algarve for the winter. We drove up to Barcelona from portugal and took a ferry to Rome and then on to Greece. We then went to macadonia, serbia and on to Prague, and then north to Norway. If you need any info we can recommend a few camp sites if this helps you. . Kelso and Margit.
What site do you use in the Algarve?

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Hi David,

We stay in Armacao de Pera campsite. Just off the N125. But beware, there are two campsites there. We stay in the 2nd one from the n125 nearest the beach.
Last year it was 11 euros a night incl. electricity. They have a bar/restaurant/pool and a good social scene.
If you need anymore info just ask.

Linda18

Free Member
Jan 8, 2018
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2003
I rent a house and I am giving it up at the end of January next year. I am putting important stuff into storage in case I need a home when I get older or if I need treatment (I have a long term illness). So looking forward to winter in Spain and slowly making my way back to England for a coupe of months in the summer.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
we (wife and I) are just in the process of selling up in the UK and commencing FT'ing hopefully mid July departure from these shores. Had enough of full time working for a living and as much as it sounds like a cliche we are only here once , no second chances at life so go out and enjoy. Wife and I are very early 50's with two dogs some experience of camping, caravanning and campervanning so not complete virgins at this. Selling furniture and all and reckon we can manage 10 years on money without working but as in posts above if we find somewhere we like ( and they like us) we will stay and work for a while. Cant wait....understand that we must return for MOT etc each year but thats a small price to pay. Jason & Nic plus Alfie & Louie

Awayoflife

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Neismann birscoff flair
Exp
On and of for many years now permantley
I wondered who in the forum is travelling without much of an agenda and an open ended time frame?
We've been on the move since end of Feb with short visits back in the uk for our sons wedding and Martin's mum's 90th birthday.
We have no plans now and only booked our return Eurotunnel in April to put a date on the return ticket. We can change the date!
We adore moving around as the whim takes us and are slowly working through Eastern Europe and have just reached Prague.
It would be lovely to meet up with other full timers or even to just chat on here.
I am full timer usually in uk most of summer and down south in winter.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Scotland is a different matter as the law allows "wild camping" in large areas of the country.

Sorry, but this is incorrect..

The laws in Scotland for off-site camping or 'wilding' in a motorhome are the same as England and Wales..

If you are referring to the Land Reform Act (Scotland) wild camping is under canvas in small groups for one or two nights and there are conditions attached.. It does Not allow the use of a caravan or motorised vehicle ..

Access rights do not extend to any motorised activities.

While you may find 'wild spots by the road side, lay bus etc and beauty spots there is no legal right to camp on them and you can be moved on..

The access legislation, including the sections on ‘wild camping’ are for people travelling on foot, on bike or on horseback. Also, the Outdoor Access Code suggests that wild camping should be carried out “well away from buildings, roads or historic structures.”

Last edited:

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
Hi Jac, I was interested to read this thread, I don't know how I missed it before!

We have been full-time motorhomers since March. We have let our house in order to pay our way. We wild park, use aires and campsites and our accommodation costs are under a fiver a night on average so far - and we've been to Norway which bumped it up a bit! Spending more time in the cheaper countries is probably one of the easiest ways to control costs.

I was interested to read that full-timers tend to stay put a little longer in each place as the years go by. We haven't stayed longer than 4 days anywhere since we started and usually move daily. We want to slow down but I think we're always looking for somewhere a bit better and we have so much that we want to see. Why is it taking us so long to chill out? Must have been too long in the rat race!

On the social life front, I have previously travelled solo as a back-packer and found I met more people than I do now as part of a couple in a van. We have dogs and they help as it gives people a reason to come and speak to us. We have met some very nice people and have met new people (as opposed t old friends) more frequently than we did before. But I think that missing close friends and family is the biggest downside to my new lifestyle. It will be that or the health of the dogs which might make us take a break for a bit, but I can't see us being properly settled again as we were before. We might just need to find a different blend, where we are not striving to do and see the whole of Europe and go back to the UK a little more often. We have visited 12 countries in the last 7 months - that's too much!

Currently on a vineyard in Slovenia and staying for another night.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi Jac, I was interested to read this thread, I don't know how I missed it before!

We have been full-time motorhomers since March. We have let our house in order to pay our way. We wild park, use aires and campsites and our accommodation costs are under a fiver a night on average so far - and we've been to Norway which bumped it up a bit! Spending more time in the cheaper countries is probably one of the easiest ways to control costs.

I was interested to read that full-timers tend to stay put a little longer in each place as the years go by. We haven't stayed longer than 4 days anywhere since we started and usually move daily. We want to slow down but I think we're always looking for somewhere a bit better and we have so much that we want to see. Why is it taking us so long to chill out? Must have been too long in the rat race!

On the social life front, I have previously travelled solo as a back-packer and found I met more people than I do now as part of a couple in a van. We have dogs and they help as it gives people a reason to come and speak to us. We have met some very nice people and have met new people (as opposed t old friends) more frequently than we did before. But I think that missing close friends and family is the biggest downside to my new lifestyle. It will be that or the health of the dogs which might make us take a break for a bit, but I can't see us being properly settled again as we were before. We might just need to find a different blend, where we are not striving to do and see the whole of Europe and go back to the UK a little more often. We have visited 12 countries in the last 7 months - that's too much!

Currently on a vineyard in Slovenia and staying for another night.
Hi I think what you are looking for is not out there but within you . And the dream of traveling is different for us all of us but the freedom of it all is what makes it so appealing. Good luck with your travels.

Cameron Carter

Free Member
Aug 10, 2018
Funster No
Hello, thanks for starting this thread, it's been very interesting to read as a beginner - we're on a year's tour of Britain, never had a motorhome before, and I also thought we'd make more contact with other Motorhomers than we have so far. I sometimes potter around the motorhome humming to encourage neighbours to engage but all but one of our visitors has been prearranged too. This is OK because we have each other and the dog, but it's just one of the things that has been a bit different than I expected. Perhaps my humming is a bit creepy...

Merlin33

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Apache 700SE
Exp
Hi,

I’m looking to go full time. I’m single and have a 6 berth. Can anyone guide me as to where they stay - ideally I’m looking staying 3 months in one spot at a time so need 4 locations. Are there plenty of long stay sites about?

Cheers
Chris

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
We're full time, we use 2 sites, the first is a small CL, we stay on that for 6 months during the winter as its got hard standing and I can cycle to work. The second is a ccc site , we stay there from April to July, they have the 28 day rule, so we have to leave for 24 hours every 4 weeks. That's no big deal, we usually use a local pub stop, its a nice 24 hour change of scenery actually. July and August we're abroad on aires.

Merlin33

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Apache 700SE
Exp
Thanks guys,

That’s really helpful.

Regards
Chris

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have been living fulltime in our van for two years now. Last year was very quiet as regards foreign trips but the rest of 2019 is looking very busy.

Paul

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Ive been out of touch with the the forum but i wonder how many full timers have come back to the UK to see out Brexit and how you imagine your full timing future will be.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Hello, thanks for starting this thread, it's been very interesting to read as a beginner - we're on a year's tour of Britain, never had a motorhome before, and I also thought we'd make more contact with other Motorhomers than we have so far. I sometimes potter around the motorhome humming to encourage neighbours to engage but all but one of our visitors has been prearranged too. This is OK because we have each other and the dog, but it's just one of the things that has been a bit different than I expected. Perhaps my humming is a bit creepy...

Just picked this up. Its not your humming, its because you are in England, English reserve and all that twaddle.
Dont know what you are up to now but you need to get yourselves abroad. We have met loads of people and made some good friends as well.
Stayed on a camp site in Spain for the winter, full of English, pain in the backside with their cliques.
If you are still on here do not give up.. and..... keep humming.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ive been out of touch with the the forum but i wonder how many full timers have come back to the UK to see out Brexit and how you imagine your full timing future will be.
We came back 23rd March to see what happened and nothing did :(:(
Can't wait to get back to Spain in May (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back