Gas Attacks in Spain (1 Viewer)

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Have been discussing the matter of safty on another forum so would just like to add my bit...When abroad 90% of breakins are scum from the eastern block countrys who put sleeping gas into your van...therefore a deterant before they get to the m/h would in my opinion be a better solution...maybe this company has the answer.....Dave.

http://www.sleeptightuk.com/

PS...Not cheap but nor is life

OP
OP
dave jm

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Who told you that? The alarm company?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No Jim..My Son who is in the Guardia Civil attached to highway crimes, including drug prevention coming in from North Africa...Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No Jim..My Son who is in the Guardia Civil attached to highway crimes, including drug prevention coming in from North Africa...Dave

I would love to see some of the evidence that Guardia Civil have to back their gassing claims. So would the Royal College of Anaesthetists:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would love to see some of the evidence that Guardia Civil have to back their gassing claims. So would the Royal College of Anaesthetists:ROFLMAO:

me too, plus the other 10,000 Fun members

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

And there are people on here who criticise our Police !

You keep mentioning that system, are you connected with them in any way ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Am I right to assume that you are just having a bit of fun and winding us up Dave JM?

If not then thank goodness for my New Year's resolution...

JJ

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Would you have less chance of being gassed if you used solar panels instead of a generator, drove a Merc based motorhome rather than a Fiat and belonged to the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club.
Think that covered most of the contentious subjects .:Smile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Would you have less chance of being gassed if you used solar panels instead of a generator, drove a Merc based motorhome rather than a Fiat and belonged to the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club.
Think that covered most of the contentious subjects .:Smile:

What about A Frames:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
For goodness sake give the OP a break. He hasnt committed a crime has he ?

Jim
:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
after a good night on the pi$$, the only thing that would wake me is fire licking my ass...then it would be the pain, not the heat.

anyone could break in and i wouldnt know but in spain i could tell the gardia it was a gas attack and they'd believe me ?

and you could say i am affected by gas in the van but not the type you refer to :ROFLMAO:

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
Sleeptight seem to use gas attacks as a scare tactic to promote sales. In my mind this shows how unprofessional they are. :Eeek::Eeek::RollEyes::RollEyes: At a show last year the salesperson (security professional :laugh:) :whatthe: talked to me about about gas attacks in the first 30 seconds of his blurb.:Doh: There website has a page dedicated to dodgy reports about gas attacks. :Doh::Doh: Its pathetic. :Angry::Angry: I would not buy one for this tactic alone. This might be a good product, but marketing it this way to people who are, in the main, older couples (like us) and selling on the back of a frightening myth is despicable. If this is a lie what else in their blurb can you believe. :Eeek:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sorry Dave but this subject has been done to death, gas sinks to the lowest level, it takes a different amount of gass to make everyone sleep (due to different body mass - differing amounts are needed to induce sleep too much and you dont wake up), yet so far out of all the reports of someones third cousins brother that have been gassed there have been no fatilities (of which im glad) but how can the theives get the amount of gas right unless you allowed them to weigh you all including the dog then agreed to be put asleep individually.

Amore likely senario is that being on holiday and relaxing one lets ones normal guard down, you will have probably driven more miles than normal for you,you stop have a nice meal, a drink or three and with the help of all that fresh air you have enjoyed whilst driving with the window open you sleep really well. (after all you are on holiday and relaxing), then some very quiet people who know how to break in rob you without disturbing you.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For goodness sake give the OP a break. He hasnt committed a crime has he ?
Jim
:RollEyes:

Well you know how many times gas has reared it's fictitious head on the forums, there comes a time when it gets intolerable. People are being frightened unnecessarily or even being pressured into parting with a lot of money for no good reason.

The OP would do far better to buy Jim's book than waste money on this much "security".

You can't buy security, you have to learn it.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Sorry Dave but this subject has been done to death, gas sinks to the lowest level, it takes a different amount of gass to make everyone sleep (due to different body mass - differing amounts are needed to induce sleep too much and you dont wake up), yet so far out of all the reports of someones third cousins brother that have been gassed there have been no fatilities (of which im glad) but how can the theives get the amount of gas right unless you allowed them to weigh you all including the dog then agreed to be put asleep individually.

Amore likely senario is that being on holiday and relaxing one lets ones normal guard down, has a drink or three and with the help of all that fresh air you have enjoyed you sleep really well. (after all you are on holiday and relaxing), then some very quiet people who know how to break in rob you without disturbing you.

Now surley thats a better response to the OP than the barrage of Pi?? taking abuse he's been getting from the know alls all afternoon.

Jim
:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
And as for the armed forces there were a lot of charcheable offences went on there that will never see the light of day.

Jim
:Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sorry forgot to add that motohomes and caravans all have low placed vents either in the floor or low on the side of the van which are there to allow air to circulate and stop the natural build up of unburnt gas particals from the appliances we use in the van - one of the reasons you are told not to cover or block them up.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Another point I find amazing leaving aside the ridiculous gassing saga, no matter what country this type of crime is reported in, It is always done by other people never by the indigenous population, are there no Spanish or French or German or British in the jails in Spain, France, Germany, Britain.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Gassing

Isn't it about time that someone i.e. Caravan Club did a controlled experiment to sort his myth/fact out once and for all.
I don't really believe in the gassing stories myself but they MAY be true, and as I do lot of continental travel, I for one would like the definitive answer.

I don't lie awake worrying about it but I dare say some people do:Eeek:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
but how can the theives get the amount of gas right unless you allowed them to weigh you all including the dog then agreed to be put asleep individually.

Chatter - you make a very good point, I can't comment as I am not a doctor or nurse but your logic is good.

I can comment on the technology which appears to be untrasonic motion detection based. This is very old technology and subject to many forms of false alarm, for example any small mammals (cats, mice, squirrels etc.) roaming around the MH will trigger the alarm, strong winds can trigger ultrasonic detectors, and even certain machinery which might emmit an ultrasonic noise.

Ultrasonic is a generic term for frequencies just above human hearing I've forgotten the exact upper and lower limits but some can cause distress to dogs since they (dogs) can hear higher frequencies than humans.

Coupled with your point about the gas thing I feel that this product is not worth fitting and definately not at the price advertised.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
It seems this old chestnut rears its head every few months when sales must drop of gas detectors etc.
I notice the very first post on this subject actualy carries an advert for the latest deterant, wonder why !!!!!

In the past it has been said that the robbers were using easy start squirted through the vents, have you ever accidently squirted the stuff in a confined space ?
The smell will linger for weeks, but nobody has ever said there has been a smell they have just assumed it has been gas and not the red wine or whisky they drank the night before.
Besides that if any form of gas like that was used the chances of an explosion or even suffocation would be very very high.

I met a couple who had been robbed in Southern France and were convinced at first that they had been gassed but after thinking it through realised that they had been enticed into a heavy drinking session the night before by another couple and that couple despite telling them they were not moving for a couple of days had actualy gone very early.
They are now convinced it was that couple who had spiked thier drinks and robbed them, actualy a very easy thing to do it seems.
That couple were also English.

RD

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
I too have met a couple whose van was cleared whilst they were deep in a drug induced like sleep in their vehicle in a motorway carpark in Spain.

Their vehicle was parked next to the cafe where they had just stopped for a soft drink.

They suspected that their soft drinks were spiked in the cafe, in a way very similar to Funnymunny's comment.

Since then whenever I stop off for a coffee in a cafe in Europe I always ensure I change in to my most soiled underwear. You just can't be too sure about Johnny Foreignor these days !

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On BBC1 tonight "Cars, Cops and Criminals" had an in-depth look at truck crime. Lorries, with extremely valuable loads were slashed, stolen, hijacked and sleeping drivers attacked with cattle prods. Clearly British criminals have not discovered how easy their job could be for the price of a can of Damp-Start:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I too have met a couple whose van was cleared whilst they were deep in a drug induced like sleep in their vehicle in a motorway carpark in Spain.

Their vehicle was parked next to the cafe where they had just stopped for a soft drink.

They suspected that their soft drinks were spiked in the cafe, in a way very similar to Funnymunny's comment.

Since then whenever I stop off for a coffee in a cafe in Europe I always ensure I change in to my most soiled underwear. You just can't be too sure about Johnny Foreignor these days !

now that is a far more logical explaination of all the robberies on foriegn soil.

it takes nothing to spike a drink and it will put you out for hours...with no serious side effects, unless you are overdosed of course.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Have you read their ad for this 'Brand New Product' although it mentions about being gassed it sets off the alarm & lights when anybody 'approaches the van' :RollEyes: can see the battery soon getting flat if you leave it on when on a car park. :RollEyes: Doesn't actually say it is a gas alarm.

If you look at their website at the SHOWS PAGE they look like a real bunch of cowboys. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back