Buying a Motorhome from Auction (1 Viewer)

MicraMan

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Motor Caravan
Exp
Hi all, I am new to this forum so please excuse my (lack of) motorhome knowledge. I am planning on buying a used campervan from this Friday's Motorhome auction at BCA Measham. I went to their December sale which was a bit quiet, but the auction staff said it normally is at that time of year. I have already called them and they have 14 Campervans in this sale, I am after an Autosleeper or similar, does anyone have any experience of this auction, and what to pay? I notice that campers do sell for substantially less than those on dealer forecourts at this auction, there is a 2007 Leisuredrive in the sale with a 2 berth high top and 70,000 miles on it - does anyone know what this is worth? Also there is a Holdsworth 2006 Fiat Ducato there? Any help would be appreciated, I don't really want to buy from a dealer like last time (you should see the depreciation !!! Eek). Any help would be appreciated. Ps. is anyone else from the Joe public sector going, I will feel lonely amongst all those hard faced traders!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
can i point out that most of these vans will be finance repossesions from folks who, for their own reasons, have got into repayment difficulties.
the old ones may be a part-ex that the dealer cant be bothered with but the newer ones...as above.

you may get the van cheap but the previous owner may still owe thousands of pounds on it to the finance house which still has to be paid back.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Micraman and welcome to the forum :Smile:

WOW !! That is some serious mileage !
35,000 miles a year .. given the average ( according to certain guides ) is only 6000 miles per year for campers and 4000 per year for motorhomes it is not too surprising the van is in the auction as it would be really hard to sell on the front !
I would say it is proly worth about 60% of the normal value...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
After many years in the motor trade, I would give the following advice.

DON'T BUY NOW! - WAIT until you have been to at least 5 auctions, before you try bidding! Learn your prices, she what is about and pay attention!! Get the auction list, and mark down what each one is going for. It will give an indication.

BCA auctions HPI check each vehicle - so finance should be clear, and that will be stated when they describe, along with any faults, total loss declaration - listen carefully, they will say it very fast!! - another reason to watch a few first - you will be able to understand the auctioneer better.

You can buy a warranty from various warranty companies after you have purchased - the same as what you get from a dealer - you will pay more, but always get the top package. Also consider this when buying - if something is too old, or too high a mileage, they warranty may be harder to obtain.

DON'T BE AN AMATEUR! Standing there with a parkers guide will just draw attention, and you will get slaughtered! Privates at auction are a pain to traders, and a cash cow to the auctioneer (he wont tell you that you are bidding over the odds - he earns the commission!) From the traders point of view, they may be bidding on a vehicle that is worth say, 15k - but becasue you have seen in a guide or forecourt, the same for 35k, you will be willing to bid higher. When you are bidding against him in this situation you may be psuhing his potential purchase above his limit. It will upset the trader, and he will bite you! If there is a novice in the room, that is pushing prices up over the going rate, many of the traders will bid against you to make you pay more - they are experienced and will know when to pull out - leaving you with a vehicle having paid not much less than forecourt price, if not a bit more!

Always set a limit - you will only know that limit after going to a few, prices change day to day. The more privates are there, the more you pay - traders only, you will pay alot less if you know what it is worth.

And that isn't even starting at knowing vehicle faults!! Watch and learn, you will be better off!:thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Auctions are a good place for bargains, sometimes. l have bought cars from auctions for forty years. If you know what you are looking for, you are right to buy at auctions. BCA, will not sell a vehicle, without informing the buyers, of the background of the vehicle. VAT applicable, finance, etc, So, you can buy with confidence. You have a lot of rights at auctions nowadays, unlike the places of old. One word of advice, set your limit, and stick to it. Its easy to get carried away, and pay much more that you intended, and you haven't got a bargain after all. Hope this helps.
Craig.

OP
OP
M

MicraMan

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Motor Caravan
Exp
Hi Micraman and welcome to the forum :Smile:

WOW !! That is some serious mileage !
35,000 miles a year .. given the average ( according to certain guides ) is only 6000 miles per year for campers and 4000 per year for motorhomes it is not too surprising the van is in the auction as it would be really hard to sell on the front !
I would say it is proly worth about 60% of the normal value...

yes it is mega mileage, the auction staff say it came from Granada TV, so probably ex tv /new crew van.

OP
OP
M

MicraMan

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Motor Caravan
Exp
After many years in the motor trade, I would give the following advice.

DON'T BUY NOW! - WAIT until you have been to at least 5 auctions, before you try bidding! Learn your prices, she what is about and pay attention!! Get the auction list, and mark down what each one is going for. It will give an indication.

BCA auctions HPI check each vehicle - so finance should be clear, and that will be stated when they describe, along with any faults, total loss declaration - listen carefully, they will say it very fast!! - another reason to watch a few first - you will be able to understand the auctioneer better.

You can buy a warranty from various warranty companies after you have purchased - the same as what you get from a dealer - you will pay more, but always get the top package. Also consider this when buying - if something is too old, or too high a mileage, they warranty may be harder to obtain.

DON'T BE AN AMATEUR! Standing there with a parkers guide will just draw attention, and you will get slaughtered! Privates at auction are a pain to traders, and a cash cow to the auctioneer (he wont tell you that you are bidding over the odds - he earns the commission!) From the traders point of view, they may be bidding on a vehicle that is worth say, 15k - but becasue you have seen in a guide or forecourt, the same for 35k, you will be willing to bid higher. When you are bidding against him in this situation you may be psuhing his potential purchase above his limit. It will upset the trader, and he will bite you! If there is a novice in the room, that is pushing prices up over the going rate, many of the traders will bid against you to make you pay more - they are experienced and will know when to pull out - leaving you with a vehicle having paid not much less than forecourt price, if not a bit more!

Always set a limit - you will only know that limit after going to a few, prices change day to day. The more privates are there, the more you pay - traders only, you will pay alot less if you know what it is worth.

And that isn't even starting at knowing vehicle faults!! Watch and learn, you will be better off!:thumb:

Wow - thats seriously comprehensive, I will approach with caution! As you say BCA vehicles should be finance clear so that is one less thing to worry about, most of the vehicles are from Black Horse Finance, so I presume finance reposessions. Will let you know how I get on. thanks again.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
As rainbow chasers said, its best to get a feel before you take the plunge. Don't stand out with your guide in hand, have the price, fixed in your head, and stick to it. Watch, and listen carefully. Its fast, and its fun.
Craig.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We sent some one to check on the prices, the vans were making 'blood' as we say in the trade.

A bessecarr made £1000 less than what we were selling same van for and ours was prepped, warranted, serviced.

We would not waste our time going to BCA Measham

Peter

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Good advice here from experienced traders.

I used to like Measham where there was a good selection of vehicles.

Best tip from me: Start your bidding late if the currents bids are well below your valuation.

Especially good tip from Peter - It's not worth saving £1k on a £20k deal if you have only auctionaires 'major parts warranty'. When I was buying most HP repo's were sold 'as seen' with virtually no g'tee except HPI check. On the other hand if you are saving £5k on £20k you have that much to spend on fixing it without being out of pocket

Golden rule: Set your value and KEEP TO IT.

BW:Smile:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Good advice on this thread.

May I add that some bidders seem to think that if someone else is prepared to pay £35,000 or whatever, it must be worth it so they keep on bidding. But the other bidder may be thinking the same thing. Nothing seems to amuse a hall full of traders more than 2 inexperienced private buyers bidding against each other and forcing the price up to a ludicrous level :ROFLMAO:

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Don't know much about buying M/H from auctions, but accept the advice given above as sound.

here a couple of things to consider

1 auction fee's, these can be very high especially at BCA, I think about 7% on 10k,

2 I don't know if traders payless than this, i suspect they do, but it maybe worth offering to pay them to do the buying for you

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I have been and purchased at a number of auctions over the years, and the main and most important advice I would give, is as nearly everyone else has said

Fix in your mind the price you are prepared to pay and

DON'T GO OVER IT, :thumb::thumb:

Best of luck let us know how you get on, and what prices the rest of the motorhomes self for, as it will be very interesting

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
I went to Measham quite a few times and noticed the same vans there for quite a few weeks not reaching their reserve. As they only open the vans for viewing just before the Auction starts it is a scrabble to look round. You will see many people with damp meters checking each van as if they are not a repossession I think they are traders trade ins which they don't want to handle because of structural problems.
Worth seeing as I think you can get an idea of what price to pay on a forecourt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back