LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi all ,does anybody know if a driver of an rv above 7.5 tonnes,or come to that even over 3.5 tonnes, needs a driver cpc to drive there motor for pleasure use ,or does it only apply to commercial use ,any advice on the rules or simply where to find a true answer would me much appreciated. many thanks .steve.:thumb:

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
CPC only applies to professional drivers i.e. those driving for hire or reward. I passed my Cat C last September and did not need to do the CPC element.

Hope this helps.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi JJ its "Certificate of Professional Competence" as already said only applies to professional drivers. At the moment its a 35 hour course every 5 years, its Europe wide so if your driving in Portugal over 3.5t you need it.

Olley

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
only needed if you drive for a liveing ie you geting paid to deliver goods in this or any other eu country but if you are teaching the cpc you dont need to hold one how crazy is this country getting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
The only exemption I can see is in artcle 2 of the Drivers CPC Directive and is as follows;

(f) Vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for
personal use;

I presume this covers RV/Motorhomes over 7500kgs!

Regards Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
only needed if you drive for a liveing ie you geting paid to deliver goods in this or any other eu country but if you are teaching the cpc you dont need to hold one how crazy is this country getting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Its mainly so the person holding the CPC can be held personally responsible for breaking the law in a company when everyone is trying to pass the buck. When they first introduced the exam those who were already working in the transport business could get one free. I know of bent transport company owners who never applied for one even though they could have had one free. They would rather employ a muggins who holds a CPC so he can carry the can if the company is found breaking the law.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Its mainly so the person holding the CPC can be held personally responsible for breaking the law in a company when everyone is trying to pass the buck. When they first introduced the exam those who were already working in the transport business could get one free. I know of bent transport company owners who never applied for one even though they could have had one free. They would rather employ a muggins who holds a CPC so he can carry the can if the company is found breaking the law.

Hi Peter,
Don't confuse CPC (for operators' licensing purposes) with the driver CPC.
They are two different things, its just that the driver CPC is badly named, hence the confusion.
Anyone holding a vocational or LGV entitlement on 10 Sept 09 has 5 years in which to do the required 35 hours training.

Whether vehicles are driven on C1 / C licence for pleasure or not, the disciplinary body is the Traffic Commissioners. They can remove these entitlements for any offence as they see fit, without recourse to a court. The only criteria is that they believe you are (not you personally) no longer a fit and proper person to hold these entielements. It can be contested, but a waste of time.

The CPC (not the driver one).
There are proposed for changes to the CPC as such: The EU has a provision for CPC holders to undertake a refresher course every 10years, and also a propision for CPC holders who have not been actively involved in transport management within the previous 5 years may have to undertake a refresher course.
These provisions already exist, but are a matter for each EU nation to decide upon.
Not implemented in the UK.
It is not yet clear whether the DfT will or will not implement these provisions.
They aren't making noises.

I stress that these are provisions or proposals, and not yet either agreed or in force. Please folks, don't go off on one with supposed "definites".

Cheers
John

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Hi Peter,
Don't confuse CPC (for operators' licensing purposes) with the driver CPC.
They are two different things, its just that the driver CPC is badly named, hence the confusion.
Anyone holding a vocational or LGV entitlement on 10 Sept 09 has 5 years in which to do the required 35 hours training.

Whether vehicles are driven on C1 / C licence for pleasure or not, the disciplinary body is the Traffic Commissioners. They can remove these entitlements for any offence as they see fit, without recourse to a court. The only criteria is that they believe you are (not you personally) no longer a fit and proper person to hold these entielements. It can be contested, but a waste of time.

The CPC (not the driver one).
There are proposed for changes to the CPC as such: The EU has a provision for CPC holders to undertake a refresher course every 10years, and also a propision for CPC holders who have not been actively involved in transport management within the previous 5 years may have to undertake a refresher course.
These provisions already exist, but are a matter for each EU nation to decide upon.
Not implemented in the UK.
It is not yet clear whether the DfT will or will not implement these provisions.
They aren't making noises.

I stress that these are provisions or proposals, and not yet either agreed or in force. Please folks, don't go off on one with supposed "definites".

Cheers
John

Thanks for the update John.

I have been out of the industry for a while and hadn't heard of this one - I only knew about the old operator's cpc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi Peter,
Got a CPC course on this week. Can be hard work to teach, remains to be seen.
ADR much easier and more enjoyable.

With regard to the Driver CPC:
New drivers undertaking C1, C or C+E categories must take a four module test.
Module four is the drivers' cpc case study exam.
All four must be passed before a new driver can drive commercially.

New "pleasure" drivers (MH, private horse box, etc) will not take the module four exam. The licence issued will carry the appropriate category restriction. Probably 101, "not for hire or reward".
This will still give the relevant licence category, but does not include vehicles driven for hire and reward, so no, drivers of C1 cat motorhomes will not have to satisfy the driver cpc training regime.

Most large MH drivers are "existing holders". They will probably need to get the licence endorsed "101" or whatever is generated for the purpose.
Don't worry, you have 4.5 years to go before you need to do anything (by Sept 2014).
Hope this is useful.

Cheers
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back