Thunderbird Email Client Virus Protection (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I have just changed over to Thunderbird 3 as my email client as I can't get on with Outlook 2003, and i use the free version of Avast for virus protection, but it doesn't appear to be working with Thunderbird or if it is its doing it very quietly :ROFLMAO:

Is there anyway to check if Avast is working I know its running in the background but it doesn't show any signs its checking the mail in or out,

This has all come about from upgrading to Windows bloody 7 ultimate what a wast of time, my old version of Vista Home Premium and Outlook Express was better.

Hope that makes sense

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
I'm using Thunderbird and the lastest (5 I think) Avast.

If I open up Avast it confirms that my mail shield is working and the boxes are ticked that say its scanning inbound and outgoing emails.

Hope this helps :Smile:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A good anti-virus won't be intrusive, almost invisible in fact.

I use McAfee, its almost £50 p.a. and it just gets on with the job. The only time I know its there is the daily virus update which I choose to be notified by.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
A good anti-virus won't be intrusive, almost invisible in fact.

Yes, unless you get a virus warning you probably won't know if it's working. Anybody want to send one to Braunston? :winky:

I'm running Avast! 4.8 (paid version...business use) on an XP machine that used to run Thunderbird and if I look at the "Warning" log I see a number of lines saying "Signs of <virus name> found in message....". These correspond to the times I got the big warning klaxon and "Panic!" message. I can find no other logs that tell me when the emails were being scanned but nothing was found.

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your inputs, I have just found that if I open Avast and click on the "Internet Mail" under Installed providers and then go to the "Customise button" which is found to the right-hand side under "Provider Configuration" then under the POP tag if you click on "Insert note into clean messages", and then send yourself a message/email it stamps the bottom stating that Avast has scanned the incoming mail.

hope that makes sense

Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back