LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I need to change my sat nav. I currently have a Mio 710 which is faulty and have seen the Garmin Nuvi 760 and 765 on special offer for £121 and £145 respectively.

Does anyone have any experience of either of these? Good or Bad

Thanks

Mastodon

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Funster No
I need to change my sat nav. I currently have a Mio 710 which is faulty and have seen the Garmin Nuvi 760 and 765 on special offer for £121 and £145 respectively.

Thanks

Been using the 760 for a couple of years. No problems and very few surprise journeys.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have the 765 (our first sat nav) and have been using it for just over a year. Love it. Have some arguments at times but on the whole so very useful. It is always in my bag, even when we are cycling so we are never 'lost'. Helped us find the elusive Tourist Info the other day when we were in the town.
There are a few differences between the 760 and the 765. Personally the lane assist being the most useful, in fact, very useful and worth the extra money. I have kept meaning to use the photo favourites as you can even download stuff from Google to it and if you did, click on the photo of say the Eiffel Tower and it would give you directions.
The other day we were out in the car trying to find somewhere nice in Spain (sorry, hate a lot of the coast) and I put in Xativa because it was underlined on the map. When we got to the town there was a castle on the hill, I would not have had a clue how to get there so I touched on Points of Interests, Attractions, there was Castell Xativa, Go.... off through the streets and back alleys, up up up the winding hill, right to the castle parking. We are going back this week to do the place justice so I saved the location in favourites..... Now if I got round to it I could upload the photo I took to the Garmin and tag it and it would always show me the location!
I am sure there are other sat navs that do this sort of thing but I was asked about this one. I was also lucky to buy another cradle with traffic receiver for mine off of Ebay so one is in the van and the other in the car, very handy.
Hope that helps. Jane :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Garmin Nuvi600

Does anyone now how to use the co-ordinates setting on garmin nuvi600, what format should it be set on?
1. h ddd mm'ss.s"
2 h ddd mm.mmm'
3 h ddd.ddddd

been trying to use this to get to places but always seem to be about a mile out, (only used in france and germany), post codes are OK but you don't always get post codes in france and germany, we have the Bord Atlas book and french aires books.

Help will be much appreciated:shout:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just been fiddling with my Garmin 865t inputting co ordinates. I set it on h ddd mm ss.s
When inputting co ordinates remember the correct amount of digits eg n50 46 59 w3 4 10
I input n50 35 44.0 w003 04 10.0
It worked with mine, try fiddling :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Thanks

Hi Go with the cheapest :thumb: The 760 is the older version to the newer 765 but they are all the same inside --- ie same chip / operating system, just different model number to justify a higher price. They all come with at least one free map update so all will have same maps :thumb:
terry
try a ebay search :thumb:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Just been fiddling with my Garmin 865t inputting co ordinates. I set it on h ddd mm ss.s
When inputting co ordinates remember the correct amount of digits eg n50 46 59 w3 4 10
I input n50 35 44.0 w003 04 10.0
It worked with mine, try fiddling :thumb:

Just tried the setting you have your's on, put the numbers in (n50 46 59 w 3 4 10) and garmin arrived at Sheppards Knap near Shute is this the correct destination?

Sorry to be a bit think with this!!

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
How well does the FM Transmitter and MP3 player on these devices work? I've read in some reviews that it is weak. Can anyone give their experience.

Thanks

Lunarman

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Does anyone now how to use the co-ordinates setting on garmin nuvi600, what format should it be set on?
1. h ddd mm'ss.s"
2 h ddd mm.mmm'
3 h ddd.ddddd

been trying to use this to get to places but always seem to be about a mile out, (only used in france and germany), post codes are OK but you don't always get post codes in france and germany, we have the Bord Atlas book and french aires books.

Help will be much appreciated:shout:

There is no 'correct' format. You can switch formats to make it easier to input destinations, depending upon the format in which they are supplied. I have mine set to DDD.DDDDD which matches the format I have set on Google Earth and is available on Camping Car Infos. But some Aires guides use DDD MM SS.SSS so it is easy to switch the Garmin when you want to use these. Just one word of warning. If you use the Camping & Caravan Club co-ordinates (either in the Big Sites book, or from the website), many of them are inaccurate. I believe they have used some postcode translator and it gives dodgy results. I usually locate the site (CS) by sight on Google Earth then read off the co-ordinates from the mouse position (they are displayed at the foot of the Google Earth window).

Philip

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
How well does the FM Transmitter and MP3 player on these devices work? I've read in some reviews that it is weak. Can anyone give their experience.

Thanks

Lunarman

They both work fine.

When in the MP3 mode the music turns off and the driving directions given and then it switches back to music.
If you are using the car radio to hear the voice directions the radio continues to play through the directions. Not a fault just the way it works.

The MP3 player is surprisingly good to my untrained ears.
The 765T also has an Audiobook feature, a city guide and translation feature.
To get the full benefit of these you have to buy the full versions.

The navigation is very good although as always with these devices a bit of common sense must prevail. OH always has an atlas on her lap for a second opinion!

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We've just bought a Garmin Nuvi 205w for £99. It seems to do the job very well and I'm pleased with it. Was that a good deal?

Ivy

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ivy if you are happy with it,then yes it is a good buy :thumb:
I got mine for £79 :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Garmin Nuvi 765

I have a 765 T and its specifications and ease of use is brilliant , when it works.

I agree with Jane it is a good piece of kit and i purchased mine on her recomendation having compared it with similar TomToms, which were also very good.

Let me clarify my first statement.

My first unit failed completely on our first big jouney to Greece when it was about 1 month old. Let us down badly.
When we got back garmin told me that they had had mass failure and it was a software problem. Annoying because they knew of this problem when i purchased / registered it but decided to wait for them to let the customer down.

They fixed it but it took about 3 weeks.

A few weeks ago I started planning my next big trip and discovered that the unit would freeze up all the time and it battery life was down to about 15 minutes.

I returned it to garmin under warranty and they sent me ( promised a new unit ) a refurbished unit ( which means one that was returned broken and fixed )

Wasn't easy to get them to do this . They had an attitude of couldn't care less about them.

This unit didn't work at all .

Garmin at first refused to replace it , and said that they would do tests on it.

There attitude was poor to say the least.

I ended up having to write to their CEO and strangly they decided to replace it, but it was reluctantly and I had to spend hours on the phone or writing almost threatening letters.

I now have another refurbished unit and so far it appears OK. ( 1 Week old )

So in essence When the 765T is working I think it is still the probably the best on the market. However Garmins aftersales service can only be described by me as poor.

Hope this helps

Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back