Lots of morocco threads, but..... (1 Viewer)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Now, in the past I have totally discounted morocco......flies, sand, dirty, 3rd world, no beer, no security, risk, etc. It doesn't seem to have much going for it apart from the weather if you go south enough.

Missus is even more sceptical than me! ( and I worked in east London for too long......Nuff said!)

So I really really don't fancy it.........but somehow I do!

I fancy the adventure, the something different, the out of the ordinary - but I do love civilisation and a nice clean toilet and shower block, and a decent site with a pool and a bar!!!!

Will be in striking distance this winter........and have no time restraints.

So - convince me ( and her!) to go............or not????

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
..................... - but I do love civilisation and a nice clean toilet and shower block, and a decent site with a pool and a bar!!!!

That's the whole point of it! Forget it, stay in Spain:D

BUT SERIOUSLY. Read the previous threads - "Morocco 2016" was particularly good with lots of superb photos. It is an adventure and you do need to be open-minded, but many of the "stories" come from people who've never actually been there. And there are decent campsites, although the French will have beaten you to them and they can get a bit crowded.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We'd planed your visit in September, however we sold our van in the meantime.

Shan't take the new van just yet as NFU don't cover Morocco and those insurers that do don't offer the cover that we require.

Got the whole tour planned - looks a great place your visit.

Great historical and scenic places to visit

Go for it !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

It's not for you. I've emptied the cassette in places no right minded person would venture without a full bio-hazard kit on.

It's different but as a French colony very familiar too. It's changing to become more European.

If you get a spot of Moroccan water on your lips your anus will hate you for the rest of your life.

Pool and bar. I don't know but I recall only one pool. It's a Muslim country in troubled times, asking an employee to serve alcohol is political dynamite. Strangely they make good wine.

Stick to Benidorm.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
morocco does have some very nice beers and wine . the beers have won a few european beer festivals . you can get beer in most large towns no problems and have been able to for years .
not as cheap as spain . but its there . the big saddam bottles about 2 litres of wine go down nice .
mind take lots from spain saves a shilling .
many areas of morocco are better than many areas of spain and again have been for years .
its a thriving country , soon be ahead of the european countries industrial wise.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hmmmmmmm, not going so far !

I half wish I'd photographed the dump point in Mekness because I do wonder if I've had a bad dream after drinking too many bottles of wine in one night. It was officially a toilet, as so often a hole on the floor toilet, but the floor had a marbled slimy grey/brown texture, clearly the Moroccan anus aim is lacking. I edged to the hole fearing for my life in case I slipped, if I had I would never get clean again in fact I would probably be stuck to the floor to this day.

Apart from that, Mekness is a great city to visit.

And then there are the kids, their aim is good but they failed to break a single window when they stoned our convoy, but you never know, they may be getting bigger stones now. Anyway, our passenger door window wears it's chip with pride and 'er indoors has stopped shaking now.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
No wonder I can not get Rose to go. Back to Portugal.

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds great , luckily the toilet is a blue job , I'll stick to the cooking

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Now, in the past I have totally discounted morocco......

flies - I heard more about midges in Scotland than anything we encountered in Morocco
sand - on the beaches and in the desert..Wonderful
dirty - in places yes but i can take you to many s*** holes here in the UK
3rd world - Mobile phone and internet is better than UK.. Fuel stations have to be seen to believe
no beer - ??? They have their own brewery, It's not a dry county.. just expensive..
no security - plenty of cops about, usually when you dont want them like speed checks and check points but no hassle and very polite and friendly.
risk - Biggest risk I think is a major vehicle breakdown BUT old vans can be sorted and new vans you may have to wait for the parts to arrive by courier and clear customs. I found no personal or vehicle risk

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Agree with Tonka, if you want an adventure go, wildcamping on beaches still available, read the threads on here, I loved it, definitely not the same as two weeks in Benidorm though, cassette emptying can be an experience but nothing that can't be handled (if you know what I mean!)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We went for 3 winters running and Lynne wanted a change.

So we did South Africa instead of North Africa.

We stored the van for the first time in 3 years (full timers) and had 3 months of very nice apartments, trips to a couple of safari parks, an excess of excellent local wine, red, white and rose. Sparkling, port style and sweet pudding wines and local brandies (visited more wineries than I could count) and ate like a King and Queen. Constantly impressed by the high standards and reasonable prices of all eating out experiences, including breakfast, lunch and dinner. (sometimes all on the same day!) Many 'fine dining' experiences in the wineries and restaurants of Franschhoek, Stellenbosch and Constantia. We are both still trying to lose the weight we gained!

A trip of a lifetime was had, but.......

WE CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TO MAROC THIS WINTER.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We re thinking of trip number 4 this winter. Love it: The scenery, the adventure, the freedom, the wildness. Yes its a bit sh*tty in places but not as bad as India.

We did have a breakdown, Water pump failed on the road ( engine one that is) X250, it was sourced and repaired within 24 hours for about 200 euros and we stayed in it.

Having said that if you want pools and bars then one of the costa's almost certainly fits the bill better as pools are rare and the majority of bars serve tea.

Jon

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
IMG_20170413_171147.jpg
So you don't want to go here then :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Some of the road planning still needs to be sorted.. :)
But the coffee at the top was nice..

SAM_1875.JPG

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
If we weren't selling our van and giving up for health reasons we would be back for our fifth winter.
We love the place and love the people. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and they have a great sense of humour.
In What other country will the locals smile and wave at you as you drive past in your vehicle that probably has more domestic facilities than they will ever experience in their lives?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Do you know I think you would love it, so much I did not expect, the Internet is better than the uk, there are miles of new roads, there are also some very good camp sites, but that's only half the story.
We loved Mekness a wonderful city where you get excellent guardian parking by the city gates, opposite the Kings golf course, we were given water by the gardeners, and allowed in the golf course with beautiful gardens, the soukes and friendly people were our memories of Mekness, so that's the other side, then there is Essaouria such a pretty fishing port so colourful again with friendly people and very little in the way of hassle from the shop keepers.

I also really enjoyed the bussel of the markets with the fresh fruit piled high, the only people I think who would have a genuine worry would be vegetarians in the markets. The spice mixes and colours. We have been twice not sure if we will go again, we have one of our daughters getting married in March so that rules this one out, but I would certainly like to return. Don't judge Morroco by Marakesh again I loved it but it is definitely some where to keep your wits about you.

Then again there is beer o clock , when funsters meet up and party in some amazing locations the choices are there for you. :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Some of the road planning still needs to be sorted.. :)
But the coffee at the top was nice..

View attachment 176499
looks like dade,s gorge. nice quiet drive we thought . even better if you carry on right through to agoudal then come down todra gorge. mind you can cheat and turn right earlier and go across country to todra .
think thats now been smoothed out a bit .
but there really is some great drives to be had . and the heights you go incredible

Attachments

• Morocco 2008-2009 3 132.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 132.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 47
  • P3040047.jpg
    P3040047.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 52

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
View attachment 176490 So you don't want to go here then :)
Not at 7.30am on a January morning Dave no!! How I remember that, bloody freezing in January it was, nearly died of shock! Great place though, bought my first ever bottle of Guerrouane Wine here, chased with a cold Heineken and a chicken tagine if I remember rightly mate!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Ps that's the un heated pool I'm referring too:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is this road as well from izerbi to tagoujgalte . route 7081on the mitchy maps
the teardrop caravan behind my t2 had a very hard time but the vw did it several times.
lots of fun to be had if you try the out of the normal routes .
did end up having the chassis on trailer welded up in maroc but only about ten quid for an afternoons work.

Attachments

• img042.jpg
    img042.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 46
  • img027.jpg
    img027.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 45
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Le Relais, Marrakesh. Probably the best and most expensive campsite in Morocco. But still only about £12 a night including EHU.
I think this may be the most expensive at 14.50 per day. It's certainly up to European standard though. http://www.atlanticaparc.com/

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Must admit I don't fancy Morocco in the motorhome. We don't particularly want to visit towns (not often anyway). We like to be out and about walking in the mountains and biking and don't think there will be many guarded places to park in these situations. We'd be worrying too much about the motorhome to enjoy ourselves if we left it parked up alone somewhere.

We had a wonderful week's trekking in the Anti Atlas a few years ago and met some lovely people (Berbers), one of whom we keep in contact with, and we'll probably go back again. But taking the motorhome? I doubt it.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Not at 7.30am on a January morning Dave no!! How I remember that, bloody freezing in January it was, nearly died of shock!
Haha I think that was when you went for a little paddle and didn't see the step into the deeper bit.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We'd be worrying too much about the motorhome to enjoy ourselves if we left it parked up alone somewhere.
one thing you don't have to worry about in Morocco is leaving your van unattended. You are MOST unlikely to have anyone break in or steal anything. Moroccans tend to be very honest especially so out in the sticks.
You are far more likely to have your van broken into in Spain for example.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think this may be the most expensive at 14.50 per day. It's certainly up to European standard though. http://www.atlanticaparc.com/
When we went there it was too cold to swim and the pools were not open.
@SUGGY had pigeon pie.
It was so full they were parking us 2 to a pitch but no reduction!
@jumartoo these are people who leave their market stalls regularly unattended to go to prayer. Theft would be dealt with quite severely so I really don't think you have anything to worry about on that front.
As for guardians, it allows them to earn a little extra money.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries