Uprating Payload (1 Viewer)

mattb

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Funster No
This propabably has already been discussed but i can't find the thread.

We have an Adria Coral 660 with a maximum laden mass of 3500kg. this is on a ducato chassis. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to uprate the van without fitting air suspension?

THe van drives well as it is and I do want to go to the expense of air suspension usless its required to uprate.

::bigsmile:riving2:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi

Contact these people and they will tell you if it can be upgraded

Link Removed

:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattb

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Funster No
Rang S V Tech this afternoon.

They've advised me that I can go up to 3700kg without any mods at all. I just need to send them a form, and a cheque of course. Air ride would only allow me to go to 3850kg anyway. Does seem to be worth the extra expense.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

They've advised me that I can go up to 3700kg without any mods at all. I just need to send them a form, and a cheque of course. Air ride would only allow me to go to 3850kg anyway. Does seem to be worth the extra expense.:thumb:

should also bring your road tax down to ÂŁ165 :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Many vans are plated at the 3500 kgs because anybody with a full license can drive them, if you passed your test before 1997 can drive up to 7.5 tonnes so you are not limited to the 3.5 tonnes. To me there are few disadvantages in not having your van plated at the maximum weight, but on the plus side your payload increases & the road tax is ÂŁ165.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
This is the new ducato then Mat.

Personally I would go with the air ride suspension as well. It gives a far better ride and much more stability. Then you can go up to the 3850 as well.

As a little warning, my van is more than 3.8t loaded with everything. Those girls of yours are not going ot remain small forever. And when they want to take friends it will soon add up.:cry:

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year

Hi all,
Bit thick here so bear with me :Blush:, Hows the above firm do it.
We have a hymer plate says 3100, my V5 says unladen 3100?? already have air ride fitted so can i uprate could do with bit more payload.

Cheers Min :thumb:

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
Hi all,
We have a hymer plate says 3100, my V5 says unladen 3100?? already have air ride fitted so can i uprate could do with bit more payload.

Quite possibly, Matt only rang SVTECH this afternoon and they told him we could go up to 3700 from 3500 without fitting Air Ride. If you give them a call they should be able to tell you over the phone [avoid ringing between 1pm and 2pm, lunchtime]. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all,

your V5 should have three weights on it...if it has them at all, mine doesnt have any:Sad:.....

the revenue weight...thats what decides the road tax band,

max permissible mass...that should be the gross

the mass in service...that should be the unladen weight.

the plate should always give the gross weight(top line) the train weight (second line)and the two axle weights (third and fourth lines and fifth if its a tag axle)

DavidRapido

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Funster No
Licence

I know that a vehicle replated from 3500 to 3700 can we driven in the UK on a pre 1997 standard licence.

Are there any additional requirements in any other European countries?

Thanks all

suenmike

Free Member
Dec 17, 2009
Sleaford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Does this mean the train weight goes up?

As we are 100Kg to much to tow a trailer and toad:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does this mean the train weight goes up?

As we are 100Kg to much to tow a trailer and toad:Doh:

No !

the train weight remains constant.
if you increase the gross weight by 200kg then the towed weight reduces by the same amount.

but....your trailer will weigh much more than 100kg (trailer could be anywhere between 200kg and 400kg alone) so sell the trailer and buy an A frame.

that will enable you to tow the car.

Last edited:

suenmike

Free Member
Dec 17, 2009
Sleaford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No !

the train weight remains constant.
if you increase the gross weight by 200kg then the towed weight reduces by the same amount.

but....your trailer will weigh much more than 100kg (trailer could be anywhere between 200kg and 400kg alone) so sell the trailer and buy an A frame.

that will enable you to tow the car.

I have a peugeot 107 - does anyone know if an A frame can be fitted to one of these:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a peugeot 107 - does anyone know if an A frame can be fitted to one of these:Doh:

sure can....

just one of the makers websites...and in my opinion the best.

click the link below then enter your car details.

Link Removed

not cheap but they can be transfered between cars as you change them.

DoriM

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
Exp
Nearly!!
Hi all,

Min,

Generally your V5 shows the revenue weight which should equate to the vehicle gross weight. Uprating capability is largely dependent on chassis and other vehicle components, particularly suspension and tyres. We have recently up-rated our mh fitting air assist which allowed gross of 3750 or 3500 with no Air assist.
SvTech have some useful articles on their webite Link Removed the "Watching your weight" article gives some examples of what is possible with common chasis models.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back