MH Snobishness - does it exist? (1 Viewer)

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I have a silly question. We are too new to motor homing to be aware of inner circles, where owning a specific type, age, model, year of MH shoots one up in the rankings, or down. Is there such a thing as MH snobbery, one-upmanship, or MHs that raise eyebrows everywhere because such a banger is still on the road?
I have finally got my UK stamp (kind neighbour brought it over for me), so we can at last send off for our Funster smiley sticker..... we may have French plates, mais on parle anglais aussi! So remember to give us a wave in our ten-year-old, second-hand, but bliss for us, Challenger.
Bonne route à tous.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
I've never experienced any snobbery
It's what works for you at that time
We had a 10 yr mh to start out with
Thought the layout suited but after 6 months realised that we wanted a fixed bed.
The mh also needed 5 new tyres a cambelt change and a few other cosmetics doing
So instead of putting 2 to 3 grand into a 10 yr old mh which didn't suit our needs we decided to buy new
We got 4 grand more than we paid as a px so it seamed a no brainer
The only thing I'd change
The cab I'd love to have either
The really old Talbot express like max and paddy or a really old 80s hymer
As long as you enjoy it who cares what anyone thinks
Enjoy you funster sticker

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a silly question. We are too new to motor homing to be aware of inner circles, where owning a specific type, age, model, year of MH shoots one up in the rankings, or down. Is there such a thing as MH snobbery, one-upmanship, or MHs that raise eyebrows everywhere because such a banger is still on the road?
I have finally got my UK stamp (kind neighbour brought it over for me), so we can at last send off for our Funster smiley sticker..... we may have French plates, mais on parle anglais aussi! So remember to give us a wave in our ten-year-old, second-hand, but bliss for us, Challenger.
Bonne route à tous.
Yep it exists in every element of British society why would motorhoming be any different..:)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
When on the road, I only wave to A class MH's, but havent found any type of snobbishness on my travels:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Is there such a thing as MH snobbery,

It certainly does with me...

The Aristocrats of the Motorhoming World, the Creme de la Creme, the sophisticated, classy vanners have pre 1990 Mercedes based, Hymers.

The King of them all is the 660S.

Anything else just lacks that certain "something". ;)

JJ :cool:

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Yes it exists .. .. (but not with us)

We cant all afford to buy a brand new MH, someone has to drive the "D Reg" Talbot, but I would still say hello to you (if thats you) if I drive past you.

We all congregate here for the same love of MH'ing, but there will always be a bad smell under someones nose :D2 Guaranteed.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Congrats, and don't worry about the age, 10 is nothing, it's still new! :)

No real fear of snobbery with motorhomefun, our first ever rally 10 years ago saw us with a mixture of large American RVs, a caravan, motorhomes of all shapes sizes and ages and a trailer tent! Here its always been more about the people than rather than what they are driving. (y)

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
to me it does not matter whether you have a new expensive model or an old home build as long as you are having fun that is the most important thing. We were once parked in France between two UK vans, we were in a panel van transit Motorhome, self build but very tidy. On one side we had a very expensive Hymer and on the other side an old scruffy Talbot Coachbuilt. Both couples were sitting out but not in front of their vans we wandered over to speak to them both as to us we are all equal and enjoying the same pass time. One couple very extremely friendly and one definitely gave us the cold shoulder, it turned out the friendly couple owned the Hymer

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Tesco/Morissons/Waitrose/Asda/Sainsbury's Van drivers don't wave, snobs :p

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We downsized from a motorhome to a pvc last month and find motorhomes no longer wave when we pass on the road:notworthy:
Is that snobbery? Are we not worthy anymore? Are we bothered :moon2: maybe its a size thing although the wife assures me its not important:wink:
Old or new big or small just enjoy the van you have(y). Ill still wave

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Bonne route à tous.
Nah!!! who,s told you that ,no snobs on ,ere ,just a right load a rabble:LOL::LOL:
Brian & Jo

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
It does exist - my neighbour around the corner has on several occassions told me to " get a real motorohme" , "oh its plastic surfaces not real wood then " and one day I was fitting a few extras with a screwdriver in my hand and got " oh has it broken already - you should get a real one !" Bumped into them on a site once and they found fault with the door handle as it didnt have a pull cord to yank it in " :cry::ROFLMAO::eek::p

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
to me it does not matter whether you have a new expensive model or an old home build as long as you are having fun that is the most important thing.
Yeah right....You wouldn't be saying that if you owned a brand new twin axle Frankia and @JJ parked his mobile Propagator next to you...:LOL:

Last edited:

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
We sat in our van a few weeks back and it was lashing down with rain, When the couple next to us in there VW van got the BBQ out, after about 10 mins we both looked at each other and I said should we invite him to do it under our canopy, he gratefully accepted. Although I don't think he would have been so grateful if George (puppy) had his way, I had to let him out and thought he was on his short leash, to my horror he almost had the steak!!!
No snobbery here!!!!!!:)

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We downsized from a motorhome to a pvc last month and find motorhomes no longer wave when we pass on the road:notworthy:
Is that snobbery? Are we not worthy anymore? Are we bothered :moon2: maybe its a size thing although the wife assures me its not important:wink:
Old or new big or small just enjoy the van you have(y). Ill still wave

Apologies if I don't wave. It's not snobbery, it's purely that by the time I've realised the 'van' on the opposite carriageway is a Moho, they've gone past. Saying that however, I did wave to 2 pvcs on the way to Jasmin Camping today, so I must be getting better at spotting them!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I suppose it occurs somewhere, but, we have not come across it. I feel we all like a similar thing, travelling, being outdoors, generally enjoying life, different places and scenery. I can't abide the 'I'm better than you brigade". Live and let live, I say.

Craig

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
No snobbery from us. We started with a trailer tent, worked through the caravans looking at the freedom of MHs. Took my first one ( Autohomes Wanderer) all around Europe. Drove like a dog, underpowered but we loved it.
Traded up to a almost new Chausson. Still wave like a mad man at every camper, MH and the occasional Super market van.
Doesn't matter when you start as long as you are meeting people and having fun.

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
No snobbery from us. We started with a trailer tent, worked through the caravans looking at the freedom of MHs. Took my first one ( Autohomes Wanderer) all around Europe. Drove like a dog, underpowered but we loved it.
Traded up to a almost new Chausson. Still wave like a mad man at every camper, MH and the occasional Super market van.
Doesn't matter when you start as long as you are meeting people and having fun.
Yep, Ocado, Sainsbury, Tesco and Asda driver's must think we are either mad or very friendly! We have followed the same route to our second MoHo as you, and despite being heard several times saying "there's no point towing a car, might as well buy a big car and a caravan" we have just added a Smart car on an A Frame, so showing how our tastes change. I'm starting to think about buying an old coach and making a big self build, but don't tell Alice!

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
We bought our PVC brand spanker in 2015, never had one before, a lot of money was paid, and apart from hiring a few years ago we thought we were ready to do it, if snobbery abounds in the motorhome world in relation too age and style of motorhome, we are going to be right on the bottom level of life, as it's our intention to keep this one for as long as we can, as it really does suit us. We want the van and us to have a history that we can enjoy in future years to look back on, that's why I can suggest the usefulness of the record book for journeys and places stayed through @Jim shop. Having met quite a few people with older vans, it's interesting to hear about the choice of van, and their adventures wherever they've been, and there's always something to learn. It's amazing the pets we've seen on sites, apart from dogs and cats, we've seen cockatiels, budgies, tortoise, rabbits, after all pets need a holiday. 2015 visited the CC site at Barnard Castle when we returned from the town someone had pitched up with their caravan, and there was a large metal cage with the biggest cat I've ever seen, when it stared at us, it
didn't look very happy, but the stare was, "If I get out of here I'm gonna sort you out pal".
Just enjoy every time you can get away.

Edit: forgot to mention as it's only a 6metre PVC we don't always have room to store the butler and chambermaid, snobs, us never

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bonne route à tous.
Yep ours is ten as well, not planning on ever having another one(y):)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Traded up to a almost new Chausson. Still wave like a mad man at every camper

We were pretty much the same. Started with a small ridge tent, got a slightly larger one, then a trailer tent followed by a folding caravan, a used motorhome and now a new one. Our camping gear may have changed but apart from being older (and wiser?) I don't think we have changed as people. Always remember that, if you look down with contempt on someone with a battered old PVC, he/she may be looking down on you in a few years from the lofty heights of a Niesman & Bischoff!

Snobbery is an unappealing trait:

IMG_0838.JPG

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back