Hello everyone CL question (1 Viewer)

lookskyward1

Free Member
Feb 4, 2010
Funster No
Hi everyone, Ive been a caravaner for a lot of years and have a I am in the process of applying for one of my fields to become a certified site/location with one of the caravan clubs.

I bought a small croft last year with the dream of having a CL on the west coast of Scotland and made my thoughts clear to my new nearest (sparse) neighbours, there was no obvious sign of opposition.

I made my application at the end of 2009 and as part of the process earlier this month delivered letters to the neighbours. I was met by one neighbour who was very anti, she told me she had already complained to the club in question and would accept no caravans neartby at all, no matter what I do to reduce the impact they may cause. She further stated she would contact the local council to stop my application being approved.

I do not want to fall out with my neighbours but feel that outright predudice is at play here, has anyone any been in this position previously and does anyone have any positive advise for me?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hello and welcome and hope you can gets some answers re the CL::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi and :welcome:

I have a CL site in Dorset. The question is ....Does your neighbour's house overlook the field or is it close enough to be bothered by any noise ?

If the answer is yes it may be difficult as CC do not like to cause hostility between neighbours however if the answer is no...they should disregard her complaints as should the council. Unless Scotland has different rules the CC make the decision and the council basically rubber stamp it. Any local councillors reading may disagree:Doh:

good luck

Garry

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Be positive

Wellcome I think the points mentioned by the guy with experience are most relevan.however you are no doubt going to be regarded as an incomer so point out the benifits to the local community of a little tourism. your nimby neighbour may be less influential with the council than she thinks she is. good luck with it ..sounds like sort of place I would seek out.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
your nimby neighbour may be less influential with the council than she thinks she is. good luck with it ..sounds like sort of place I would seek out.

Or maybe just the opposite !

I was working in Grantown on Spey and was told a story. It was proposed that Grantown was to be made Scotland's premier ski resort. But. The local Laird, ( Grant I think of the whisky family ) just said NO and that was that. Aviemore was created instead. I think the conversation went on to say that all of Scotland is owned by a handful of families.

Of course I may have had a whee dram too many and all this is a load of bollox.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
In England CL's and CS's are exempt from planning, I have a real are$h*le of a neighbour and he complained and the council then complained, and said they would refuse permission I wrote to the Council, neighbour and Camping and Caravan Club explaining that Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only. were exempted from planning.

My site met the other requirements re; Insurance, waste and access etc and my licence was granted.

In any event you can use your land as a campsite (or anything else for that matter) for no more that 28 days a year with out Planning Permission! That is how/why some boot sales operate from fields in the summer months!

Regards Pat

Last edited:

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Hi,
I’m with the C&CC so not sure on the set up of the CC/ other organisations. But the C&CC have local branches and special interest groups who will hold weekend meets using various locations that are not CLs etc just a suitable field even used a school playing field before now.
May be worth contacting the local branch explain the ‘difficulty’ with the neighbours and your plans for the site, see if they can arrange a small meet of 5 or 6 vans (even to the point of explaining you need ambassadors for the hobby)
This way you will be able to show the neighbours / council that any fears are unfounded and in fact it is good for the local economy, examples of how much was spent in the local shops etc. May also help you to iron out any problems with your site before committing money / position the facilities.
Good luck
Colin

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Is it just the one neighbour who is anti? What are the rest of your neighbours reactions? Perhaps that is the more relevant consideration.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I thought crofts where supposed to be a type of small businesses anyway?

"Crofting is a system of landholding unique to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. A croft is not, as many people think, a house but instead a relatively small agricultural land holding which is normally held in tenancy and which may or may not have buildings or a house associated with it."

So I would think the council has a duty to encourage any initiative that makes money from the land, especially one that encourages tourism...Tell your neighbour to get stuffed::bigsmile:

I remember a TV program last year where someone set up a camping site on a Croft

Are they middle class "incomers"? Of the type who have destroyed the west country and priced out the locals, leaving whole villages dead for most of the year?:Angry:

good look with your plans!

Last edited:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I thought crofts where supposed to be a type of small businesses anyway?

"Crofting is a system of landholding unique to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. A croft is not, as many people think, a house but instead a relatively small agricultural land holding which is normally held in tenancy and which may or may not have buildings or a house associated with it."

So I would think the council has a duty to encourage any initiative that makes money from the land, especially one that encourages tourism...Tell your neighbour to get stuffed::bigsmile:

I remember a TV program last year where someone set up a camping site on a Croft

Are they middle class "incomers"? Of the type who have destroyed the west country and priced out the locals, leaving whole villages dead for most of the year?:Angry:

good look with your plans!

I bet these numpty neighbours are English. We went to Mull a few years ago and everything was owned and run by middle class English people who were quite frankly, horrible. The flipping Lakes is the same. None of the locals wanted to ban speedboats on Windermere it was all these do gooder incomers. I agree, tell em to get stuffed. Let us know where the CL is. We will come and stay for sure!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Tell your neighbour to get stuffed::bigsmile:

Excellent. Did you ever, even for one minute give any thought to the neighbour.

The neighbour has every right to complain, it may not bear any force in law, however, whilst this is a free country, he/she has the right to complain.

Imagine you own a house, out in the middle of nowhere, a place of peace and tranquility, where your business remains your business.

Then, one day, out of the blue, crash, bang wollop. Along come a legion of cars, 4X4's with Caravans and Motorhomes in tow, blaring tellys, arguing couples, screaming kids, drunken fights, churned up and muddied ground, septic tanks, da, dee da, dee da, and thats only Facts on a shortweekend :ROFLMAO:

Your neighbour who now hates you because you told her/him to "get stuffed" is going to be real pleased and will probabley end up burning your house down. Or Croft as the case may be.

Jim
::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Then, one day, out of the blue, crash, bang wollop. Along come a legion of cars, 4X4's with Caravans and Motorhomes in tow, blaring tellys, arguing couples, screaming kids, drunken fights, churned up and muddied ground, septic tanks, da, dee da, dee da, and thats only Facts on a shortweekend :ROFLMAO:

Jim
::bigsmile:

Blimey FACTS meets sound FUN
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its only one neighbour objecting then i wouldnt worry too much.

they will need a very good and valid reason to object, or carry some clout with the local council.

put your case to the council in clear words....local tourism, income to local shops/attractions, making use of the land and, of course, a source of income for you.
offer to lessen the impact on the area if needed....plant trees and hedges to hide the site etc.
above all dont embellish it with useless chit-chat...they aint bothered if your an avid motorhomer and want to invite like minded folks to stay.

their objection will probably just be noted and put aside.

just my opinion on the matter. :thumb:

PS....She further stated she would contact the local council to stop my application being approved.

its not her decision !......unless she's on the planning commitee of course !!!!!

Last edited:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Some of you have posted on this thread that the council should be approached with regard to this lady's objections.

I repeat that it is only the Caravan Club (or CC&C) that grant the certificate to operate a CL. They decide if all the necessary requirements will be met and approve or deny the application. The local council is only notified that the certificate has been granted. They would only intervene if they thought the CC had made errors in their assessment.

No formal planning permission is needed.

However the CC do consult neighbours and their views sought, as I said earlier, they would not approve if the neighbour had VALID objections.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Worried neighbour

Perhaps the 'neighbour' thinks its going to be a permenant caravan site,which is totally different to what i think your suggesting,some forward research on good sites in other areas maybe who are on conservation areas and the like ,might provide enough calming material...Is it going to be a motorhome site or everything type camping site,there's a difference,are you building ,buildings ? or just providing electric,water and waste disposal,all to be taken into account by the powers that be,and your 'worried neighbour'usually a big problem with planning etc is access and road usage,if there's narrow windy lanes,no lighting,that could cause problems for the services (ambulance/fire service) also take plenty of photo's of the site and general area,and how far is the 'worried neighbour' from this/your site....Good luck :thumb:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Some of you have posted on this thread that the council should be approached with regard to this lady's objections.

I repeat that it is only the Caravan Club (or CC&C) that grant the certificate to operate a CL.

AND OF COURSE THE MCC which as a Motorcarravanner I would have thought we would ALL belong.

Sorry for being off Thread.

Brian

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
I bought a small croft last year with the dream of having a CL on the west coast of Scotland

Where exactly are you planning to locate your CL??:thumb:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Any local councillors reading may disagree:Doh:
Garry
As a recently retired councillor, I can tell you what you are experiencing is very common indeed.
The others who have pointed out that CL & CS sites are delegated to the club are, of course quite correct. The council planning department have no interest in the application apart from looking at highways and environmental health issues. Ie. Dangerous access, inadequate drains etc. So there is little point in contacting them as your objector will discover.
I agree that doing your best to placate your neighbour is, none the less, a good thing to try and do.
All too often, objectors will just object because they see a change and imagine all sorts of problems arising. However, they seldom will vocalise their reasons because they probably haven't really worked out what they may be. This leaves you in a difficult position as regards reasoning or even being sympathetic towards them.
If all else is well and you get your permission, it is a 90% chance that your angry neighbour will forget all about their objections and be right as rain with you in future. They often feel that they have had their stomp and lost so no point in developing it into a feud! So don't be too put off by the attitude you have to deal with now.
Planning is one of the most emotive and illogical things on earth, IMHO.:winky:
Good luck
Patrick

lazydays

Free Member
May 9, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
March 2009
Why don’t you invite your all neighbours within close proximity to a barbecue or dinner? Let them know that you want to know their views and thoughts on what you are planning to do (CL). Most people associate touring caravans with gypsy’s, which as we all know is not the case and also emphasise that the last thing that you want travellers on your land. Explain to them what a CL is and how it could benefit local businesses, above all be open minded and listen to what they have to say. I think once they all understand what you’re trying to do they will all buy in to the idea.

Oh, Welcome to motorhome FUN by the way and good luck:thumb:

OP
OP
L

lookskyward1

Free Member
Feb 4, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everyone

The croft is on the Isle of Mull so it would be a first to have a CL/ SC here. The same legislation applies to Scotland as England and Wales with regards to a Certified location.

I've taken on board a lot of your advice, although I may leave the more extreme measures to a later date if things really start to go wrong.

Thanks for the help and support everyone, I will keep you up to date with progress and look forward to having a field full of happy campers.:thumb:

I've set up a photo album with a few pics for you to view

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back