What interval for cambelt change? (1 Viewer)

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
For a 2006 model fiat 2 Ltr JTD, what are the recommendations regarding cambelt changing?

Is it so many years or miles?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i dont know the exact mileage for a 2006 as my autodata stops at 2004 but at 4 years old it could be getting close on age....maybe at 5 years.

it may say in the owners handbook, technical section or the service handbook.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Fiat recommend inspect and change if nec every 36000 or 2 years :whatthe:
Replace at 72000 or 4 years
your on borrowed time :Eeek:look out for new post re cam belt when Ive got 5 Min's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I'm with GEO here. If you're asking the question, then you must have a bit of a worry. If you have a worry, then it's time to change.

Cam belts are no respecter of time. If they want to let go, then let go they will, and you'll pick up a bill for a thousand or so.

I had mine changed when I came back from Spain in September, and it cost just over £200 (Fiat 130 TD 4 yrs old, 23k miles). Well worth the peace of mind.

FreeSpirit

Free Member
Jun 18, 2009
Qld, Aust
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 years
Replacing 2.8 JTD cambelt

The owners manual (2.8 JTD version in OZ) we have, states - change the timing belt every 120k (& although it doesn't state this, I have been told "or every 5 years"). But I have since heard from the local Iveco dealer that Iveco with their identical engine now recommend every 80k or 3 years (originally 100K). I replaced the belt & pulleys on our motorhome last year at 6 years & 43k & could not see any problems with the old belt itelf or the two pulleys. But it is better to be safe than sorry as if it breaks the result would be costly being an interference engine.
If anybody is interested & wants to have a go at changing the Timing Belt etc yourself, I have my step by step guide & what I encounted in changing the 2.8 JTD belt & pulleys with A/C fitted posted on the fiat forum. - http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/218539-2-8-jtd-timing-belt-replacement.html
With a link to photobucket to some pics of the operation
Cheers

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
What about me.

Hello, Mine M/H is 2005 and I have only done 10,000. would that also included in the time to change?

Help please
Ivan:Eeek:

FreeSpirit

Free Member
Jun 18, 2009
Qld, Aust
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 years
Hello, Mine M/H is 2005 and I have only done 10,000. would that also included in the time to change?

Help please
Yes it is now 5 years old & should be replaced ASAP even if it has only done 10,000 (miles I assume) to be on the safe side. The 2.8JTD & also the 2.3 as well are both interference engines, meaning that if the belt breaks the valves are extremely likely to hit the top of the pistons. Ouch!! very costly.
Cheers

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Hi
don`t rely on mileage to guide you go on time. I had a cam belt snap after 35000 miles but it was 4yrs old. Ended up wrecking the motor very expensive. FIAT 2.8 IDTD

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Help please

Ours was done at 14K and 5 years. Belt looked like new but one idler roller was about to collapse :cry: Nearly was tears.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For whatever reason cam belt failure has caused a sudden increase in our work load:Smile:
so much so we tried to farm out one or two jobs to other local garages,sorry got a lot of snapped belts to do ourselves, Hey Ho we plod on:RollEyes:
get damaged heads down to our engineers, he's swamped:Eeek:
a few mins into meaningful discussions re why so many all of a sudden. and we concur
The cold snap excuse the pun, during these minus degree temps the belts are being subjected to extremes of temps those approaching change intervals are mostly effected just like tyres go hard and brittle with age so does the rubber in cam belts 90% of the failures were within a few miles of a cold start 10% were over due and were in normal service
to days engines are not cheap to repair cheapest to date from this recent run £1300:Eeek:
Cost of replacement average £250-------take yer pick:cry::cry::cry:
Get it done:thumb:
Geo

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
well bloody marvellous.

there I am packing the van ready for me ski trip when I come accross this thread.

Not quite 5 years old but unwilling to take the gamble, I have managed to get an emergency appointment at my local garage to have the belt and pulleys changed. A wise move I hope. But I would not of bothered if not for this thread,.,, however since reading it I have now got all in a tizz, and will only be thinking that when I am on my way to the alps the belt will snap.
:shout::shout::shout::shout::shout:

£240 + vodka and tonic,, sounds reasonable to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back