What is VPN? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Been told about a thing called "VPN (virtual private network) which makes more secure and helps with watchin /streaming films etc .Anyone used it?

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
we have one at work and when working remotely have to turn it on before attempting access the server.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Handy if you're abroad and want to hide your location. Some UK sites won't let you in if they know you're overseas, NS&I and the National Lottery are just two which won't let you in if you want to check "winning" emails.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
National Lottery .......... won't let you in if you want to check "winning" emails.

That's because the lottery website allows you to purchase tickets and according to their rules you have to be physically present in the UK when you do this.

If you mask your IP to get into their website, buy a ticket, win and they find out you were abroad when you bought the ticket then you won't get the prize.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Virtual Private Network.

Simply, you route your net connection through their server and so are allocated an IP address that hides your's.

Additional security includes firewalls and trace-back protection, your physical location is also hidden, as far as the rest of the internet is concerned you are at the server.

If you want to watch USA tv / Netflix then use a US based VPN service; if you are overseas and want to watch UK TV (eg Sky Go), then use a UK VPN service.

I'm lucky because I can use my work VPN to access TV while overseas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Using a VPN will help you to use certain websites while you are abroad but it doesn't increase security, in fact it can be a weak link. never use a VPN for online banking

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Imagine this analogy, you need to plug in you computer to your home network, but you are many 100's of miles away. You could lay a very long cat5 cable, or you could use this thing called the internet. That's all it is really, it is a virtual link to your own network.

Reactions: Pia

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Imagine this analogy, you need to plug in you computer to your home network, but you are many 100's of miles away. You could lay a very long cat5 cable, or you could use this thing called the internet. That's all it is really, it is a virtual link to your own network.
While it can certainly be just that, for secure remote to head office connections, in general use these days it is more for anonymity and location spoofing

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
The below link gives a good introduction to what a VPN is and what it does.

https://www.bestvpn.com/vpns-beginners-need-know/

I have used a few and settled on Nord VPN mainly for P2P.

nordicvpn%202_1.jpg

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That's because the lottery website allows you to purchase tickets and according to their rules you have to be physically present in the UK when you do this. If you mask your IP to get into their website, buy a ticket, win and they find out you were abroad when you bought the ticket then you won't get the prize.

I realise that Nick but as said if you get an " exciting news" email you may have to wait weeks before you get back to the UK to log in and find out you've won £2.74.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I realise that Nick but as said if you get an " exciting news" email you may have to wait weeks before you get back to the UK to log in and find out you've won £2.74.

Just adds to the suspense (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That's because the lottery website allows you to purchase tickets and according to their rules you have to be physically present in the UK when you do this.

If you mask your IP to get into their website, buy a ticket, win and they find out you were abroad when you bought the ticket then you won't get the prize.
Odd rule as you could buy tickets for weeks ahead then be out of the UK for the draw and be OK someone else might buy a ticket on the net out of the UK be back for the draw but disqualified !!!. I suspect as long as you are a UK resident they are unlikely to find out and given my winnings it won't matter anyway!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I sometimes use TunnelBear because it adds encryption to public wifi sites. It is also user friendly with a fun element, the bear digs tunnels to your chosen location.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Odd rule as you could buy tickets for weeks ahead then be out of the UK for the draw and be OK someone else might buy a ticket on the net out of the UK be back for the draw but disqualified !!!. I suspect as long as you are a UK resident they are unlikely to find out and given my winnings it won't matter anyway!
You can win on the lottery if you are outside the UK only if you bought the ticket when in the UK. You are also allowed to be outside the UK if you are paying by standing order or direct debit.
It is buying tickets online while outside the UK which is not allowed. The logic is the lottery is only for people in the UK and is not open to people in other countries - unless they come to the UK to buy a ticket. Whether they would check if you were a UK citizen is a different matter, but set up a direct debit when in the UK you should be fine but check the fine print if you are not a UK resident. :)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Which is why I buy a ticket for up to eight weeks when I know I'm going to be away, it's not difficult to stay within the rules.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back