Aldi parking charge (1 Viewer)

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I have just received a parking charge from Parking eye for parking in a Aldi store.
I have had one before but had the receipt. So it was disregarded. This time I can't find receipt.
Can they legally do anything. Thanks John.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
what have you actually done wrong?

I presume exceeded their time limit?

The receipt would only prove you stopped there not why you stopped so long

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Just contact Aldi direct. You can email them either a copy of your receipt for the day in question or a couple of receipts from other days or a copy of a bank statement showing you did shop in Aldi. They just want to know that you are a customer and not just using the car park.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We were given a similar ticket at an ALDI store in Ayr, we hadn't been anywhere else, just having a leisurely stroll round the new shop & chatting with friends. The allocated time is 90mins. By the time we got the notification which came by post with a lovely photo of our moho, we'd lost the receipt. ALDI head office were unhelpful, so we told them to stick their ticket where the monkey sticks its nuts! The advice I was given is that ALDI cannot enforce the fine & we've never heard any more about it. That was about a year ago.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Parking eye clock you in and out . By taking a pic of your reg .
It doesn't matter if you've shopped there. So you don't need a receipt.
If you've been longer than the time allowed 1 or 2 hours your ticketed . Let's face it it doesn't take long to do a shop in aldi or Lidl but they get people leaving cars , and going on elsewhere. Usually taking them over the 1 or 2 hours.

I work for Sainsbury's and Tesco and s lot of the stores do the same thing but it's 4 hours . They do have cafes and clothing departments though so you can end up sending some time in them if you want to .

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
This is the same company that operate the Red Jet Parking in Southampton on the Quay, i am pretty sure there were others that didnt think they could enforce it but then lost in court. If they couldn't do anything i dont think they would be in a lot of the Aldi stores and others as well. Of course if you are prepared to dispute it and go to court let us know how you get on as I have been caught by them at the Red Jet but after doing some research online i just paid it. That said perhaps they wont enforce it if someone disputes it either way it would be good to let others know how you get on.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We got one for being over the marked bay first £60 then it kept going up to £360 then they threatened with debt collection company funny thing was it was all from the same address in Liverpool or Manchester.
Never did pay it

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Used to be unenforceable - but now it is.
So don't ignore.
  • Try to get Aldi to intervene as a gesture of goodwill
  • Challenge the parking company on a technicality or if they haven't followed the code of conduct.
  • Appeal to POPLA
  • Pay it & move on

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Depends how brave you are and if you don't mind bailiff's at your door. I would pay it and know better next time....

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Depends how brave you are and if you don't mind bailiff's at your door. I would pay it and know better next time....
You won't get bailiffs unless it goes to court. You will get debt collectors though.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
The bailiffs will not be knocking on your door unless you lost a court case and refuse to pay the fine. They wont take you to court because of the legal costs, you have no contract with the parking company and there fore not obliged to pay. But the sneaky parking charge is valid for 7 years and therefore some shyte companies are taking the claim to court in 6.5 years. you have moved on and the first you know about it is a n o court attendance and an ccj. So be careful.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can they legally do anything.
Yes, our local Aldi employ PARKING EYE to manage their Car park and if you can't prove you were shopping PARKING EYE WILL persue it.... .Eventually through the courts.
Ours has camera entry and the latest touch screen monitors where you enter your registration number after shopping to show your departure time.
Forget to enter your number and you get an invoice (parking fine) for exceeding your parking limit.
Of course, the store manager can cancel it on sight of your receipt or other date and time stamped proof of purchase.

OP
OP
Chocy boy
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
The time that I was there 28 min. I did not enter my reg number. Will check card statements. If it was a small amount I would have paid cash

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Yes, our local Aldi employ PARKING EYE to manage their Car park and if you can't prove you were shopping PARKING EYE WILL persue it.... .Eventually through the courts.
Ours has camera entry and the latest touch screen monitors where you enter your registration number after shopping to show your departure time.
Forget to enter your number and you get an invoice (parking fine) for exceeding your parking limit.
Of course, the store manager can cancel it on sight of your receipt or other date and time stamped proof of purchase.
There is no contract with parking eye. they will pursue you with all sorts of threats but they rely on scare tactics. To have a contract you need an offer. The Parking Eye have not made an offer of parking so they will loose in court.
You should search parking eye in 'WWW.pepipoo'.. its up to you how brave you are !

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
The time that I was there 28 min. I did not enter my reg number. Will check card statements. If it was a small amount I would have paid cash
28 mins will be laughed out of court. Especially if you were allowed longer to shop

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As you didn't enter your registration they assume you exceeded your 1.5hrs limit regardless of actual stay time.
Though how anyone needs 1.5hrs to shop in Aldi beats me.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
As you didn't enter your registration they assume you exceeded your 1.5hrs limit regardless of actual stay time.
Though how anyone needs 1.5hrs to shop in Aldi beats me.
You can not go to court on an assumption. parking Eye will need to prove you over stayed the time limit.. And then they are on dodgy grounds as you have not entered a contract to park with them.

My advice would be to contact Aldi Manger at the store and get the PCN cancelled. If that fails, be prepared to receive all sorts of threats and demands from a debt recovery company.. Remember, they can not recover more than the parking charge notice plus the court cost should it reach court, so all the increases they threaten you with are just part of the scare mongering to get you to pay.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You entered into a contract the moment you entered the Car park.
There is no assumption, you passed a camera on entry which recorded your number but didn't enter, what is basically an exit code, your reg number.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Surely if they take your picture on entrance they should take your picture on exit?
If it operates solely on tapping in your reg you could park, go into store and enter your reg and then bug*** off shopping round the town?
They must have a means of checking you on the way out so could you get this under some "freedom of info" request?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
There is no contract with parking eye. they will pursue you with all sorts of threats but they rely on scare tactics. To have a contract you need an offer. The Parking Eye have not made an offer of parking so they will loose in court.
You should search parking eye in 'WWW.pepipoo'.. its up to you how brave you are !

There has recently been a court case where the parking company won...

This changes the just ignore it stance as you could end up with quite a bill.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

You won't get bailiffs on your door step unless its gone to Court and the judgement is against you.
You will get a Court summons so know what is happening.

The parking company cant fine you either that is down to the Court :)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you can remember what you bought and approx amount go into the store with a copy of the parking charge and they can find your transaction in their system .happened to us a while back and also found my transaction
,Gave me a copy which we sent off to Parking eye.they dropped the charge.i just said I definitely. entered the correct reg number
Give it a try

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I think this being a civil matter the defendant i.e. Chock boy can choose where the hearing is held,
This happened to us some years ago when we took someone to county court but things may have changed over the last 15 years.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
You entered into a contract the moment you entered the Car park.
There is no assumption, you passed a camera on entry which recorded your number but didn't enter, what is basically an exit code, your reg number.
To have a contract you need an offer for you to consider. There is no offer of parking via the parking company, no method of making a payment to the parking charge company therefore no contract exists.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I just refuse to park at any store that charges for parking or even this sort of controlled free parking unless I justhave no other choice, Asda in uttoxeter charge a pound but fair enough give it you back at the till but will always go the extra half mile to Tesco just because of this, maybe I'm a silly old bugger and the difference in price might come to more than the pound but it's just ingrained in.
You don't get any of this hassle in France at any store so what's different here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back