Reverse Gear (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Guys
Should we not try to move on from this As i posted some days ago i have the 3lt Model and to date no problems.But for my own peace of mind i contacted Fiat within a hour of my e/mail there response was no problems with the 3lt model but have arranged within, the same week to have a dealer check my M/Home out this Sat to assure me (Not bad service) Also looking through most of the posts i find that the maj of posts are from people who dont have a Fiat/Base model (very strange) i also think that the more we blow this up it wiil have a knock on with re sales,Most of the Emergency response Vech are based on this model and clock up a heavy milage.When i speak to other users on sites they agree some have had the problem some are looking for the problem some havent got a problem

Bill

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You don't work for Toyota do you
They have been covering up for a while now, but thanks to forums they have had to come clean and a national re call is in place
you have a head in sand approach
and seem to be suggesting that if only a third have a problem it doesn't exist:Doh:
I may have taken your post out of context but thats how it reads to me
I might add
Any effect on resale value and perceived reliability problems is Fiats fault not the moaners and groaners

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
You don't work for Toyota do you
They have been covering up for a while now, but thanks to forums they have had to come clean and a national re call is in place
you have a head in sand approach
and seem to be suggesting that if only a third have a problem it doesn't exist:Doh:
I may have taken your post out of context but thats how it reads to me
I might add
Any effect on resale value and perceived reliability problems is Fiats fault not the moaners and groaners

Its not a case of head in the sand Fiat have agreed that there is a problem and my exp with them and other users is that they are addresing the problem what else do you want them to do

Bill:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Guys
Should we not try to move on from this
Bill

I admire your technique, a brilliant way to bury a thread, create another one the same and it gets to the top front page.

Don't go easy on Fiat, they are scumbags who wanted US to pay for their design flaws, and they'd have got away with it but for the internet.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I admire your technique, a brilliant way to bury a thread, create another one the same and it gets to the top front page.

Don't go easy on Fiat, they are scumbags who wanted US to pay for their design flaws, and they'd have got away with it but for the internet.

For a start i treat people with respect,the way i would like to be treated as i said my exp with Fiat to date is first class and i can only comment on that. Just maybe because i havent refered to them as scumbags

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its not a case of head in the sand Fiat have agreed that there is a problem and my exp with them and other users is that they are addresing the problem what else do you want them to do

You seem to forget it was thanks to the complaints aired on here and other forums that got fiat to admit there was a fault in the first place

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
You seem to forget it was thanks to the complaints aired on here and other forums that got fiat to admit there was a fault in the first place

Again this is my exp and opinion my Bessacarr i purchasded new Sp 07 on March/April 08 i was contacted by my Swift Dealer and said that there could be problems with this judder, and they will be in contact me. July 08 i was contacted by my local Fiat DEALER to bring it in and they would check it out i declined due to work commitments working abroad, they gave me a case no in case it happens in the future to date no problems but for my peace of mind again they are going to check it this week As i said it is only my opinion i thought you can express that in this Forum

:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For a start i treat people with respect,the way i would like to be treated as i said my exp with Fiat to date is first class and i can only comment on that. Just maybe because i havent refered to them as scumbags

The only reason you are being treated well by Fiat is because fellow MHers kicked them into submission.

Obviously you don't say scumbag to their face, honest though it is. But can you think of a better adjective to describe a big multinational who turned out a flawed design then say there is nothing wrong except the customer's incompetent driving and if a gearbox explodes and needs a £3000 repair then tough.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
The only reason you are being treated well by Fiat is because fellow MHers kicked them into submission.

Obviously you don't say scumbag to their face, honest though it is. But can you think of a better adjective to describe a big multinational who turned out a flawed design then say there is nothing wrong except the customer's incompetent driving and if a gearbox explodes and needs a £3000 repair then tough.

Maybe im wrong but did the new Model not come out Sep 07 as you can see from my last post i was contacted by Fiat June/ July 08.So they must have been aware of it then

Bill:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As i said it is only my opinion i thought you can express that in this Forum
:thumb:

Damned right you can and in fact your treatment is great news for MHers.

I think the problem is that anyone who watched juddergate develop and the heroic efforts of one guy on the UK forums to get Fiat to admit they had cocked up the design, this sticks hard in the mind and we're always ready to post an opposing view on Fiat whenever someone sings their praises. Similar fights were going on right across Europe.

Nothing personal. We may be doing you a favour.

I'm a happy Fiat owner. But I do count myself very lucky, I could easily have ended up with an X250 but luck had us fall in love with a Burstner on the older chassis. It's a first rate chassis.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Maybe im wrong but did the new Model not come out Sep 07 as you can see from my last post i was contacted by Fiat June/ July 08.So they must have been aware of it then Bill:thumb:

Sorry, not sure about exact dates. Because of build time it's sometimes difficult to guess what chassis is on a MH by year registered.

Whatever the dates, stage one in their campaign was to tell everyone there is nothing wrong but your driving and you need to slip the clutch at 1400 rpm to reverse these. Result, burned out clutches which "Sorry Sir, clutches are not covered by our warranty because they can be destroyed quickly by unsympathetic drivers".

You know, now you bring back these memories I may have been generous in calling them scumbags.

And of course it's not only Fiat. Watchdog ( who never took on Fiat ) showed similar contempt by other manufacturers. There were the Fords always pulling one way or another, the Renault bonnets flying open, Renault paint that could not tolerate bird crap, Saab electronic dashboards failing at the same age, MG with it's useless cylinder head gasket.

Then recently, the two RAF pilots branded as killers when they died in their Chinook in the crash in Scotland. Finally someone has come clean and said flaky software was the most likely cause. A small relief to the parents of the pilots.

What a deceitful world we live in.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Just trying to see it from Fiat's point of view. I imagine the overwhelming majority of Ducatos having no problem because they don't do enough reversing up steep hills with full loads to overheat the clutch. So they don't want to encourage all those owners to bring them in for a new gearbox unnecessarily - would you in their position?

Even now I am not sure the fix is a good idea if you don't need it. The software update to increase torque at low revs may have a negative effect on other things like fuel economy. The gearbox strip to fit a new gear still leaves the reverse gear fairly high because they can't get a much bigger gear wheel in that gearbox casing. And will the average garage be able to strip and rebuild the gearbox to original factory standards?

Since I don't think I will be doing enough reversing up steep hills to overheat the clutch I think I will leave it as is.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Just trying to see it from Fiat's point of view. I imagine the overwhelming majority of Ducatos having no problem because they don't do enough reversing up steep hills with full loads to overheat the clutch. So they don't want to encourage all those owners to bring them in for a new gearbox unnecessarily - would you in their position?

Even now I am not sure the fix is a good idea if you don't need it. The software update to increase torque at low revs may have a negative effect on other things like fuel economy. The gearbox strip to fit a new gear still leaves the reverse gear fairly high because they can't get a much bigger gear wheel in that gearbox casing. And will the average garage be able to strip and rebuild the gearbox to original factory standards?

Since I don't think I will be doing enough reversing up steep hills to overheat the clutch I think I will leave it as is.

Got to agree im not Mech minded i have the 3 lt model 6 gears because of what i have herd i have went out of my way to find steep hills on several ocassions (No Problems) perhaps im LUCKY.:thumb:

Bill

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
There were the Fords always pulling one way or another, the Renault bonnets flying open, ....... the two RAF pilots branded as killers when they died in their Chinook in the crash in Scotland. Finally someone has come clean and said flaky software was the most likely cause. A small relief to the parents of the pilots.

What a deceitful world we live in.

A high reverse gear is not really a safety item so I don't think its fair to put Fiat in the same bin as those who caused fatal accidents.
Only fair to point out too that, although motorhomes are expensive Fiat won't see much of that as the Ducato is a cheap van.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi bill,

you are saying move on from this topic as the majority of posters dont even own fiats !

well thats like saying mover on from the A frame and gassing topics.....

to date, on this forum at least, no-one has been gassed and large proportion of A frame threads are either started by or contributed to by folks who dont use them but both topics produce good debates and responses.

without these threads the forum would be a dark and lonely place to be.

OMG !!!! i'v done it again :Eeek::Doh:...i feel an A frame/ gassing thread coming on. :ROFLMAO:

and heres my bit....the vast majority of fiat ducato's are in the business market, a builders employee is given one to transport his tools and materials from site to site....do you think he's bothered if the van judders in reverse...no, because he'll rev the bo**ocks off it and slip the cluth 'til it doesnt judder.
ok, it then needs a new clutch....is he footing the bill...no, so he isnt bothered if it judders.

we, on the other hand, have to pay for a new clutch and due to the kind of stuff we carry anything not nailed down will inevitably end up on the floor or broken or both.

if the folks who are concerned by it dont tell fiat then who will......bob the builder....i dont think so.

Last edited:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
I still think my original posting on the now defunct previous thread regarding a carefully worded survey of all X-250 owners past/present would be of some value , out of the 10000 Funsters there must be approx 200-300 who have this model , INFORMATION not opinion is POWER and to any of the current owners would be of use B.T.W. mine did not need a hill to judder it managed that even on level ground and Gingerly applying the clutch . Al ps early models came out end 2006/early 2007

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back