Free Member
May 19, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
16yrs previously 25years caravaning
Just joined Motorhome fun, we are travelling down to Portugal next month for the 1st time and will be hoping to meet up with other motorhomers, will be taking my laptop can anyone recommend best ISP for mobile internet connection I had dongle with 3, but a bit hit & miss connection in UK :Doh:

Happy Motorhoming

:Smile: Jazz

PS
Apparently we 1st joined in May 2008 but work got in the way of that,
both retired now so we try again..................

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Welcome back to the fun Jazz. It may be wise of you to start a new thread on what dongle you use.
It may get lost in this post.

Jim
:Smile:

Last edited:

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
On the move Internet

Hello, Have a look in Posts. I asked the same question 2 days ago and got some worrying replies. Someone ran up a £500 bill in Europe. Check it out.
Ivan:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had dongle with 3, but a bit hit & miss connection in UK :Doh:

I unlocked mine this week to swap to Vodafone. 3's coverage was, how shall I put this, female. Whenever I wanted it there was no signal, when I did not want it, rock solid signal.

But abroad - arm and leg rip off. Use WiFi ( free or less rip off ). Or if there a long time try and buy a local SIM, and still get ripped off.

Vodafone once advertised UK tariffs on Vodafone Italy, now that seems to have vanished.

It's all take take take from the mugs.

PS: If you are going to hang around pop a few details of yourself in your profile, it's nice to know a van and an area then we are more in tune with any questions you ask.

Last edited:

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Wifi

Forgive my ignorance,but i am useless with internet,so on the move you can use WIFI if near a Mcburgers or similar ??? Dont you have to have an network or i.p provider or someone you pay money too ??If this is so,if you are travelling many countries,how does this work if you have taken out a 'provider' in UK or Germany etc..... ?
Please say i dont need to pay anyone,as in Bulgaria i had a Vodaphone dongle,but only good for BG ? and at £30 a month a tad expensive with 5 gb download,so would i need another in Turkey/Italy/Spain etc ???see no idea,please put me straight in normal language and slow ...........

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Jazz and welcome to the site.:Smile:

Re mobile internet, I have 3 mobile in UK 5 gig/month for £11.25, never use that amount, nor do I use it in Europe, way to expensive.:cry:

As others have said, Mcdonalds offer "free" wifi, assuming your laptop is wifi enabled, you can park up at Mcds. carpark (50 metres of front door one friend told me) and log on to an unsecured network.:RollEyes:

Currently, we are in Spain, and I intended to unlock my spare dongle, but was advised by a fellow camper from UK, that the simm would cost €65/months service, and capped at 3 gig.:whatthe:

The site wifi here costs €29.90 for 30 days service. This is provided by www.delfynet.es, other shorter contract options are available, but soon become very expensive. Looking on delfynet's site, they provide to about every campsite in Spain, so if we move on to another site before this expires, we can still use it, had I been aware of this, I would have contacted them before leaving UK, to see if a better deal could be obtained from them direct rather than through the site.:Cool:

It may be worth searching for wifi providers in Portugal, or find which supplier provides one campsite, then look at that wifi providers website, for coverage and location of hot spots, and then if they are were you are intending to go, contact them, and see whats available. At the current exchange rate €1/day (about 87p) or less is not a bad rate, for the conveinance it provides.:RollEyes:

I hope this helps.

Good luck and have a good trip:thumb:

Nomadic

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
In Portugal, with your unocked dongle, go to any vodafone shop, buy a payg sim card, put it in the dongle, alter the settings in your dongle software and away you go. I used this all the time whilst there and it was quite cheap.

ken

lazydays

Free Member
May 9, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
March 2009
Hello & Welcome hope you have a great time in Portugal

Happy Travels:thumb:

OP
OP
J

jazz

Free Member
May 19, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
16yrs previously 25years caravaning
Thank you

Thank you to everyone for their welcoming posts, the advice was very much appreciated, still feeling my way around the site :thumb:

:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back