Habitation check etc (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Our van will be 12mths old in june (a way off I know) questions as follows......

how much is a habitation check
what exactly do they check
presumably your warranty is void if you dont
how many of you bother having one
how many of you do it yourself

NOTE
I have a point to this and that is that if the only reason to have one is that you dont look after your van well enough to notice a problem and need someone to tell you its knackered otherwise your warrantys void, then its prob worth it.
In my experience warrantys from dealers incl car dealers arent acctually worth that much anyway and if you want a job doing properly do it yourself because if you let someone else then theres a good chance of getting the van, caravan or car back with damage and or faults that werent there before. I cant even get my MH dealer or indeed the manufacturers to supply me with a 50p peice of plastic for the extending table which was missing from day one. (dont even ask about the hand over experience) so not much chance of getting a result from anything this so called "habitation check" could uncover. And as for cars well my 12mth old Ford Kuga is still waiting for a dashboard trim that was damaged by the dealer and a new elec seat base due to manufacturing fault. I am even considering doing the ford cab service myself cos I cant see what they do at 12mnth old and about 4k on the clock anyway and the warranty I suspect is worthless.
As you can tell I am somewhat miffed about tha lack of after customer care and consider that warrantys and habitation checks are "probably" a money making exercise or for people who cant or dont look after there van. Of course I am open to oppinions that prove me wrong.
Any thoughts on any points above or related topics.
ips

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
There are loads of posts on this. Some people think its a must, and some people dont, so its a personal choice. I woudnt have one.

When you look at the Habitation Service Check List there isnt anything on it that you wouldnt normally look at yourself at some point through the year.

The one exception is a gas check. That for me needs to be carried out by somebody proven proficient. Your right, a lot of people have them done to maintain the warranty.

Jim
:Smile:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
In some ways I share your sceptisism about dealers etc, and I have been less than impressed with the Peugeot dealers determined attempts to do as little as possible. eg they refused to replace windscreen washer jets under warranty. They had failed and so that I could continue my journey I had temporarily repaired them. Because I had temporarily repaired them the dealer refused to touch them under warranty. There have other cases where I had to complain to peugeot service as well.

But the habitation check, in my view, is different. My van has a 5 year guarantee against water ingress, and a condition of this is that it has an annual check, which costs about £110. My van has now had 2 of these. In my opinion it is highly unlikely that even a very aware technical owner would spot the early stages of any damp, these checks use damp mearuring equipment and take any action to correct any potential fault. In my case some minor improvements to the sealing were made in both cases even though there were no unacceptable levels of damp inside. Mind you, in this case I have total confidence in the motorhome dealer (Hayes) who have provided excellent service.

Personally I would not miss the habitation check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
When you look at the Habitation Service Check List there isnt anything on it that you wouldnt normally look at yourself at some point through the year.

My point exacty. :thumb:

Ps- With regards to gas .........My company is gas safe reg and I am a registered gas engineer so no probs there me thinks.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
In my opinion it is highly unlikely that even a very aware technical owner would spot the early stages of any damp, these checks use damp mearuring equipment and take any action to correct any potential fault. .

Good point, but how much is it to buy a damp meter ? it cant be rocket science to use one either.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
See this post originally posted by Don Madge

Recommended Annual Habitation Service Check

INTRODUCTION

There is much confusion over the annual habitation service or check for motorhomes, with widely varying prices and standards of work. However a 'standard checklist' is used by many dealers when carrying out this work, but it seems that many owners are not aware of this, or of what checks should be included. We suggest that owners should ask for the 'SMMT Annual Habitation Service Check' to be carried out. Competent owners may wish to use the published checklist when carrying out their own maintenance.

The following guidelines for the checking and servicing of a motorhome's habitation area are taken from the guidance booklet published by the Motorhome Section of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) and the Motorhome Division of The National Caravan Council (NCC). They are © SMMT & NCC and reproduced here with their kind permission. We would like to thank them for providing this information and also thank The Motorhome Information Service for their assistance.

The checks do not cover any part of the base vehicle, although there may be minor overlapping (such as tyre pressures, cab seats, internal lights, battery and windows) in a van conversion. The base vehicle must be serviced in accordance with the chassis manufacturer's instructions.

Reference should also be made to:

1. Any owner's manual or equivalent supplied with the vehicle by the motorhome manufacturer.

2 Appliance manufacturers' leaflets.

3. Driver s handbook or equivalent supplied by the chassis manufacturer.

A vehicle is accepted for service at the dealer's discretion.
Any defects, repairs, adjustments, cleaning or lubrication required will be noted on the check list.
The customer's approval will be obtained before any work is done.

Not all of the equipment mentioned in this manual is fitted as standard to every motorhome

Any work carried out following the check, and the sufficiency of the work in the check itself, is subject to the contract between the customer and the dealer. The National Caravan Council (NCC) & SMMT and their member companies are not part of this contract, and accept no liability in contract, tort or otherwise, other than death or personal injury due to negligence on their part.

SECTION 1
BODY MOUNTING

1.1 BODY TO CHASSIS
Examine all fixings retaining the body to the chassis - this may be direct or through a sub-frame.
Where practical, all fittings should be checked to ensure they are all present and correctly secured.

1.2 BODY TO CAB
Examine joint between body and cab for signs of movement and soundness of sealing media.

1 .3 BODY RETENTION (Dismountables)
Check serviceability and tightness of body retaining gear.
Check serviceability of body support struts and mountings.
(Note - whether it will be necessary to demount the body to check the
body supports must be agreed between dealer and customer).

SECTION 2
WINDOWS

2.1 WINDOWS
Check window glazing rubber or sealing for cracks and general condition.
Check for satisfactory opening and closing.
Check fixing of top hinge rail on top hung windows.
Check for good weather seal when window is closed and latched.
Check catches and stays for satisfactory operation.

SECTION 3
DOORS

3.1 EXTERNAL DOORS
Not including base vehicle doors.

3.1.1 SECURITY
Check that hinges and catches are satisfactory and that, when latched, doors are held securely shut.
Check that keys or internal latches lock the doors correctly.
Check that any device fitted to hold a door in the open position is satisfactory.

3.1.2 SEALING
Check all door seals for cracking and general condition. Check correct closing to give a weather-tight seal.

3.1.3 CHILDPROOF LOCK
Where a door is fitted with a childproof lock, check that an appropriate warning notice is fixed adjacent to the door.
Appropriate warning notices are available from motorhome manufacturers.

3.2 INTERNAL DOORS

3.2.1 SECURITY
Check that hinges and catches are satisfactory and that, when latched, the door is held securely shut.

3.2.2 SAFETY
Check that any device fitted to hold a door in the closed position can be operated from both sides to open the door in an emergency.

SECTION 4
ATTACHMENTS TO CHASSIS OR UNDERBODY

4.1 CORNER STEADIES
Check that attachments to chassis are secure. Ensure steadies work freely and satisfactorily.
Lubricate screw to ensure correct operation.

4.2 FOLDING/RETRACTABLE STEPS
Check that step pivots are satisfactory and not worn. Check that, when closed, the retaining mechanism holds the step securely. If fitted, check warning device is working.

4.3 UNDERFLOOR WATER TANK MOUNTINGS
Check mounting frames are secure to body. Any fastenings that require releasing to remove the tank should be free of rust and operate freely. (Removal, flushing, cleaning and replacing of tanks will be carried out at the prior request of the customer or will be done subsequently with other work).

4.4 SPARE WHEEL
Remove spare wheel. Check for damage. Check tyre pressure.
Check mounting frame for security to body and for secure retention of
spare wheel.

4.5 WHEELBOXES
Check for damage, corrosion, water seepage, signs of tyre rubbing.

SECTION 5
ATTACHMENT TO BODY EXTERIOR

5 1 ROOF LIGHTS
Check security, general condition, and that sealing has not deteriorated.

5.2 ROOF RACKS AND LADDERS
Check security to body and general condition.
Check roof for damage adjacent to rack.

5.3 MOULDINGS, TRIMS
Check security. Check sealing has not deteriorated (see section 6).

5.4 FLUE TERMINALS, AIR VENTS
Check security. Check sealing has not deteriorated.
Check that these are not blocked.

SECTION 6
INTERNAL

6.1 BODY SEEPAGE CHECK
Examine for moisture/water staining of areas under windows, at side of roof and at corners which could indicate water seepage problems.
A moisture meter should be used where appropriate.

6.2 FURNITURE
Check furniture is securely fixed.
Check door hinges, catches and stays for satisfactory operation.

6.3 DINETTE SEAT/BEDS
Check seat bases for security of fixings and for damage.
Make up beds according to manufacturer's instructions and check for
rigidity and safety.

6.4 UPPER BUNKS
Check there is a secure means of access to upper bunks and that, where applicable, protection against falling out and entrapment is provided.

6.5 CURTAINS/BLINDS/NETS
Check track is secure and curtains draw freely without snagging.
Check blinds and/or nets for correct operation.
Check flyscreens in roof lights and air vents.

6.6 CAB SEATS
Where cab seats form part of the living area and/or bed layout they should be checked for security of attachment, smooth and easy operation of seat slides, swivels and seat back operation.

6.7 FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
Check condition and expiry date. If an extinguisher is not fitted, inform the customer of the advisability of such equipment.

6.8 FIRE BLANKET
Check position (should be near cooker).
If one is not present, inform the customer of the advisability of such equipment.

6.9 ADVICE TO OCCUPIERS WARNING NOTICE
Check presence and condition and advise accordingly
The wording and the layout of the notice should be set out as follows:

ADVICE TO USERS

VENTILATION
NO NOT OBSTRUCT THE VENTILATORS WHICH ARE FITTED; YOUR SAFETY DEPENDS ON THEM

IN CASE OF FIRE
1. GET EVERYONE OUT
2. TURN OFF OUTSIDE GAS VALVE OR OIL VALVE (IF FITTED)
3. DISCONNECT THE MAINS ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
4. RAISE THE ALARM AND CALL THE FIRE BRIGADE
5. TACKLE THE FIRE IF SAFE TO DO SO

FIRE PRECAUTIONS

CHILDREN: DO NOT LEAVE THEM ALONE

MEANS OF ESCAPE: MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE LOCATION AND OPERATION OF THE EMERGENCY EXITS, KEEP ALL ESCAPE ROUTES CLEAR

COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS: KEEP THEM CLEAR OF ALL HEATING AND COOKING APPLIANCES

FIRE FIGHTING: PROVIDE, AT LEAST, A 1 KG POWDER FIRE EXTINGUISHER, THAT COMPLIES WITH BS 5423 BY THE MAIN EXIT DOOR, AND A FIRE BLANKET NEXT TO THE COOKER. MAKE YOURSELF FAMILIAR WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS ON YOUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER AND THE FIRE PRECAUTION ARRANGEMENTS ON THE CARAVAN PARK.

6.10 PORTABLE OR OPEN FLAME HEATING EQUIPMENT
Check for its presence. The customer must be advised against its use.

SECTION 7

ELEVATING ROOFS

7.1 LIFTING MECHANISM
Gas struts or spring struts should be checked for corrosion (particularly on the piston rods of gas struts), smooth operation when operating roof up and down and to ensure that they support the roof when fully up. Check attachment points of struts to body and roof.

7.2 CANVAS SIDE WALLS
Check for satisfactory attachment to body and roof.
Check for splits or holes, particularly at fold lines.
Check that the canvas stows satisfactorily when roof is lowered.
(A waterproofing check will be done at the prior request of the
customer).

7.3 SOLID SIDE WALL
Check sides and end panels fold up and down correctly, that they seal against each other where appropriate and that retaining mechanisms are satisfactory.
Check all hinges for security and freedom from strain.

7.4 LOCKING OF ROOF
It is important to ensure that when the roof is in the travelling position, it is safely and positively locked down. Any locking retaining mechanism should be carefully examined.

SECTION 8
GAS SYSTEMS

8.1 CYLINDERS AND REGULATORS
Establish that the cylinders and regulators are compatible. Butane (blue) cylinders should have a regulator stamped with the pressure 11" WG (28 m bar) and propane (red) cylinders should be stamped 14" WG (37 m bar). Check that the regulator is controlling the gas to the correct pressure for the type of cylinder fitted.
Check cylinder compartment vents and gas drop hole in the floor are free from obstruction.
Check seals on internal doors.

8.2 HOSE AND PIPING
Check any flexible hose is of an approved type. Check its condition and for any evidence of cracking.
Check piping for condition, damage and correct support.
Carry out an overall leak test.

8.3 APPLIANCES
In general, the checking of gas appliances can be divided into the following:

1. Cleaning 4. Flues
2. Operation of controls 5. Flame failure device
3. Correct flame structure 6. Security

8.3.1 CLEANING
Where appropriate, remove cover(s) to gain access to heat exchanger.
Clean away any fluff or foreign matter. Reassemble and test.
Clean flame viewing window.

8.3.2 CONTROLS
Check that all knobs etc. work smoothly and are secure on their spindles.
If gas taps require greasing to ease stiffness, use only approved LPG grease.
Check that appliances can be brought into service using the normal controls.

8.3.3 CORRECT FLAME STRUCTURE
Check that all pilot flames burn quietly and clearly.

Refrigerator: With the refrigerator gas control turned to maximum, the colour of the flame should be predominantly blue.
Instantaneous Water Heating: The main burner flame should be of even height and blue in colour. A flame burning yellow will allow sooting to occur.

Ovens: The oven flame should burn quietly and be of even height, mainly blue/green in colour. If the gas is propane, the flame will normally develop yellow tips as the burner heats up. If the gas is butane, a small amount of yellow tipping will be seen immediately after lighting, increasing as the burner heats up.

Grill Burners: It is normal for the flames on this type of burner to develop yellow tips as it heats up, particularly on butane.

General: A flame lifting away from the burners is an indication of too high a pressure, although it may happen with grill burners whilst the frets are heating up.
A yellow flame will cause sooting and is an indication of too low a pressure.
Providing the regulator and piping have been checked and found satisfactory the above faults should not appear.

8.3.4 FLUES
Flues should be examined for security of fixing and for correct attachment to appliances and flue terminals. They should be free from damage and corrosion.
Check for leakage of flue gases into the vehicle.

8.3.5 FLAME FAILURE DEVICE (FFD)
Where fitted, the FFD should be checked to ensure satisfactory operation. After the appliance has been successfully checked, allow time for the thermocouple to cool.
Attempt to relight the appliance by turning it on without pushing in the gas control knob. (Do not override the FFD). If appliance does not light, FFD is satisfactory.

8.3.6 SECURITY
Check appliance is securely fixed to the vehicle/furniture and will be free from rattles. Where applicable, check that water pipes are satisfactorily attached with no sign of leakage

8.3.7 PROTECTION OF ADJACENT SURFACES
Check that surfaces adjacent to open flame cooking appliances have adequate protection.

8.3.8 INSPECTIONS
It is recommended that inspections are carried out by a qualified fitter
trained to, for example, CORGI (Confederation of Registered Gas Installers) or Calor standards.

SECTION 9
WATER SYSTEM
Before operating the water system, a visual check of the following items may show up an obvious leak source.

9.1 FRESH WATER TANK CONTAINER
Check condition, fill tank and check for leaks.
Check the external filter and filter pipe to tank.
Check for satisfactory venting.
Check condition and presence of filter cap.

9.2 WASTE WATER TANK
Check drain tap is clear and working.
Check condition and presence of drain hose. (The water tank will be drained, flushed, cleaned and charged with a measure of toilet fluid/disinfectant at the prior request of the customer.

9.3 FILTER PUMP
When applicable, remove filter and replace.
Check the in-line pump for security and condition. Remove the
submersible pump from tank, check condition.
Check pump inlet and outlet are clear and not obstructed.
Check delivery hose and electric cable are secure and satisfactory

Operate pump. Check all piping for leaks.
Operate taps and shower. If a hot water system is fitted, it can be checked for leaks etc. using cold water.
(Note - Aerated water from tap could be due to a leak on the suction side of the pump).

With water running through the drain pipes, check for leaks and satisfactory draining of water from sinks etc.

9.6 . COUPLINGS AND FLUIDS.
Check that the appropriate markings are used - blue for fresh water, grey for waste water. Ensure a sealing off cover is supplied for each coupling. Check that filler positions are designated "petrol", "diesel", or "water" as appropriate.

9.7 TOILET WASTE TANK
Check that any fixed tank intended to receive discharge from a toilet is fitted with either a level or full indicator.

SECTION 10
ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS

10.1 EXTRA LOW VOLTAGE 12 VOLTS (excluding vehicle)

10.1.1 BATTERY/IES
Check battery/ies for condition.
Check connections, wires, fuses and relays appertaining to the habitation electrics.

10.1.2 WIRING
Examine all visible wiring.
Check all connections and joints are sound and satisfactory

10.1.3 FUSES/FUSE HOLDERS
Ensure that fuses and fuse holders used to protect the habitation electrics are satisfactory and that fuse ratings are compatible with the circuit appliances being protected.

10.1.4 APPLIANCES
Inspect all appliances for damage, signs of overheating and secure fixing
Function test all appliances.

10.2 MAINS 230 VOLT SYSTEM
It is recommended that the inspection and certification of the 230 volt system be carried out by a qualified electrician who is an approved contractor of the NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting) or in membership of the Electrical Contractors Association.

SECTION 11
VENTILATION

11.1 HIGH LEVEL
Check all high level ventilators, including roof lights, are free from obstruction and allow a free flow of air.

11.2 LOW LEVEL
Check all low level ventilators are free from obstruction and allow a free flow of air.
If the ventilator is manually adjustable then ensure mechanism is free and operating correctly

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
I totally agree with Jim I don`t bother with the hab chq once the manufacturers warranty has run out. I am fortunate to be on good terms with my dealer and usually manage to get the odd bit of materials from him if i am doing a diy job on my motorhome .the gas chq though is best carried out by a competent person.:thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
My point exacty. :thumb:

Ps- With regards to gas .........My company is gas safe reg and I am a registered gas engineer so no probs there me thinks.

I could be calling upon you then Mr Ips :winky:

Jim

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I could be calling upon you then Mr Ips :winky:

Thank you that confirms my point entirely particularily when you read checks listed like this ............................

Windows
1-Check for satisfactory opening and closing.

I rest my case theres nothing on that "service" check list that you wouldnt know about (like mrs ips is not going to tell me that the window isnt opening properly, I dont think so) apart from maybe getting under the van and checking that your waste tank is still connected or that the body of your Coach built is still on.
What a load of money making noncense.

Small print
As a reg gas installer and elec engineer etc etc etc I must emphasize that the gas check and elec check is an absolute must.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
The cheap damp meters from B & Q have to be poked into the wall covering, so damage the walls.

Intersting point as I dont want anything poking in my wall. I wonder what the "acceptable" readings of damp are ????

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Further to my previous post on this, if I have understood it correctly my dealer actually offers 2 levels of service. One is the full habitation check, which checks loads of things that I don't need checking by someone else, so I don't have this.

But they also offer the reduced service that just covers those things required to maintain the 5 year gurantee against water ingres. This is what I have done and this is what costs £110. The 5 year guarantee would be invalidated if I did it myself, with or without my own damp tesing kit. Therefore no contest, it has to be done. I actually think its good value since they checked all the seals and did do some work on some - I would have had no idea that it was required.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
i take mine here it cost me £90+vat and warranty stays intact

Did you check with the motorhome manufacturer that your warranty is intact? I asked Adria if I could get the warranty done by a suitably qualified motorhome engineer but was told the warranty is only valid if I use an Adria agent :cry: cost me about £400 :Eeek: for the habitation & the Renault service. Kicking myself as I should have negotiated getting at least the first years service free when I bought the van.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Further to my previous post on this, if I have understood it correctly my dealer actually offers 2 levels of service. One is the full habitation check, which checks loads of things that I don't need checking by someone else, so I don't have this.

But they also offer the reduced service that just covers those things required to maintain the 5 year gurantee against water ingres. This is what I have done and this is what costs £110. The 5 year guarantee would be invalidated if I did it myself, with or without my own damp tesing kit. Therefore no contest, it has to be done. I actually think its good value since they checked all the seals and did do some work on some - I would have had no idea that it was required.

Now that sounds like the best thing to do at least it keeps your "ALLEDGED" warranty :ROFLMAO: valid. Better than paying some fully qualified caravan / MH engineer to check that your windows open ok.

"Thanks that will be £300 please sir and you will be pleased to know that your windows open, your waste tank is still under your van and your door seels are still there. See you next year mr ips and thank you for your business."

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Did you check with the motorhome manufacturer that your warranty is intact? I asked Adria if I could get the warranty done by a suitably qualified motorhome engineer but was told the warranty is only valid if I use an Adria agent :cry: cost me about £400 :Eeek: for the habitation & the Renault service. Kicking myself as I should have negotiated getting at least the first years service free when I bought the van.

Oldest trick in the book this "must be carried out by our dealer or your warrnty is void" noncense. Car dealers have been doing it for years and in reality the Manufacturers can only insist that the services etc are carried out by a "qualified" and Reputable car mechanic. And anyway I would like to hear from anyone who has succesfully had any warranty work done with no fuss or bother on a car caravan or Mh I no there will be some who think there dealer is a wonderfull man but I bet there are more like me.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Oldest trick in the book this "must be carried out by our dealer or your warrnty is void" noncense. Car dealers have been doing it for years and in reality the Manufacturers can only insist that the services etc are carried out by a "qualified" and Reputable car mechanic. And anyway I would like to hear from anyone who has succesfully had any warranty work done with no fuss or bother on a car caravan or Mh I no there will be some who think there dealer is a wonderfull man but I bet there are more like me.

I think you may be incorrect here Mr Ips. The warranty hinges around whether its a manufacturers or a dealers warranty, who sold the van to who and when and under what conditions.

Peter from John Cross described this very well in a previous post. (Peter if it wasnt you, my apologies)

Jim

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I think you may be incorrect here Mr Ips. The warranty hinges around whether its a manufacturers or a dealers warranty, who sold the van to who and when and under what conditions.

Peter from John Cross described this very well in a previous post. (Peter if it wasnt you, my apologies)

Jim

Please enlighten me as to what difference it makes

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07

yes i checked, my m/h is in now getting some work done under the warranty as we speak, as for the base you can get that done at any VAT registered garage providing genuine parts are used, mine cost £100 in total so for a full service hab and chassis £200

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just read the "service check list" again and cant find anything on checking for damp with a damp meter or acceptable readings etc. So any "qualified caravan engineer" if following the list wouldnt need to do one....would he ???

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
how much is a habitation check

This year my van will be 2 years old and I have arranged to take it back to the Hymer factory in Germany for the Water Ingress Check and the Habitation Service.
The price charged in Germany is approximately half of that charged last year by Brownhills, and since we are going to Germany anyway, that seems good value.

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07

we are having work done on the habitation part now, and ford put a new power steering pump on aswell no fuss or questions

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Just read the "service check list" again and cant find anything on checking for damp with a damp meter or acceptable readings etc. So any "qualified caravan engineer" if following the list wouldnt need to do one....would he ???

See Para 6.1. I dont suppose it matters what you check it with or whether you use your left had or right hand as long as it get checked.

Jim

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
See Para 6.1. I dont suppose it matters what you check it with or whether you use your left had or right hand as long as it get checked.

Jim

My apologies I stand corrected (should look better next time) :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I would think that converters would insist on a dealership conversant with the habitation area doing the habitation check as they would have the knowledge of where to look for any areas that could be a potential problem.

A service engineer without that specialised knowledge could well miss any.

Just my thoughts.

My customers don't have that problem as we give five years habitation services with every van we supply, doesn't cost a penny apart from any consumables.

Peter

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
My customers don't have that problem as we give five years habitation services with every van we supply, doesn't cost a penny apart from any consumables.

Peter

I should have bought from you then cos my dealer cant even supply me with a 50p piece of plastic for the table that was missing from day one. :Angry:

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
habitation check

i get my swift motorhome habitation check done by mark from cls who is a funster on this site who i find to be a really nice honest straight forward guy
i would recommend him anyday
not sure if he only does swift though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back