LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When this was discussed recently there seemed to be some interest in a thread on fitting this kit so here goes.

I bought the CBE kit from the Netherlands for Euro 54.50 inc delivery, it was a lot more from UK sites and the Dometic kit is around £80.

So in the kit you get two fans in a frame complete with temperature sensor, a control box with adjustable switch point relative to temperature and Auto and Manual settings.

IMG_0693.JPG

The temperature sensing bit is in the middle of the fans in the picture below.

IMG_0694.JPG

The fan assembly is pre wired to over a metre of cable with a small computer type plug on the end and this has to plug into the control module which just has a +ve and _ve lead about 0.5 metre long.

IMG_0697.JPG

There are a couple of block connectors in the back of the fridge accessible from the lower vent so I decided that one of these would be OK for the power supply to the control module, this had to be extended as the wires on the module are only 0.5 metres, any other power supply would have been OK but this seemed to be handy.

The black diode that goes between the red wire (from Votronic AES) and the D+ in the above picture is the connection from the Votronic AES controller to switch to 12 volts when there is spare solar power, the diode stops the Votronic AES signal going to ground via the alternator windings which is the grey wire onto the D+. the switching wire to the fridge controls is the thin white one out of the block with the red wire and diode in.

IMG_0698.JPG

I took the extension lead up to the top of the fridge and mounted the Block to connect the control module into. When I get some more Aluminium closure tape I will cover the wire as its quite warm up there.

I have drilled through the top of the Fridge enclosure for the cables and will mount the control module inside next to the microwave it will then be sealed with silicone. Next job is just to mount the fans and plug in but its dark and I dont trust myself up the ladders after a couple of glasses of wine or three.

So on a slightly "off topic" note some people believe that the fridge runs from the engine battery which I am sure it does in some vans BUT not all, the photo below is the battery voltages at 10pm so no solar and the fridge is on gas.

IMG_0700.JPG

And then with the fridge switched to 12 volts and turned down to make it kick in.

IMG_0701.JPG

This now shows 15 amps going from the leisure batteries and the voltage has dropped, the eagle eyed amongst you will notice that rather confusingly the engine (car) battery goes up either because the gas valve runs off the car battery or something completely different and even more confusing.

And YES I do think the volt readings on the panel are slightly optimistic(y)

To be continued.

Martin

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The car battery has gone up because your duel solar regulator has kicked in due to the 15A going out of the Leisure battery

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The car battery has gone up because your duel solar regulator has kicked in due to the 15A going out of the Leisure battery
Its 10pm dark and anyway the solar only connects to the leisure batteries and charging the car battery is controlled via the CBE CSB2 or eddie vanbitz battery master, but any more suggestions gratefully accepted.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK part 2

I made some brackets about 50mm long to drop the fan assembly off the roof of the fridge space and then fitted it in place, wires in plugged in the controller and switched it on, fan on full speed.

IMG_0706.JPG

A bit of tidying up to do and wait for the weather to warm up to see it working on automatic.

IMG_0705.JPG

oops need two more screws and then put the bezel on.

IMG_0707.JPG

The system runs the fan on two speeds depending on temperature but I believe the lowest you can get it to start is 28deg and then full speed comes in at 50deg.

Now I will just wait to see how it performs, but to be fair the fridge usually works very well and I put this down to the double size top vent.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
img_0701-jpg.173859

Whats the button for on the control panel, the one below the water pump switch (just being nosey)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
img_0701-jpg.173859

Whats the button for on the control panel, the one below the water pump switch (just being nosey)
Ask me another Robert I might know the answer:LOL: I know it's something optional that we don't have, will get the book out later(y) I think it's to do with gas possibly heating the regulators when it's -40 outside.

Martin

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Martin, I had better results by mounting the fans at the top vent sucking the air out. That way cold air was being pulled in at the bottom and the fans at the top draw out the hot air at the top. As for your power drain.... not sure without looking at my setup.

May 9, 2011
Cheshire / Vale De Parra
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55
Exp
Since 2011
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin, I had better results by mounting the fans at the top vent sucking the air out. That way cold air was being pulled in at the bottom and the fans at the top draw out the hot air at the top. As for your power drain.... not sure without looking at my setup.
Hi John

This is in the top vent(y)

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Robert Clark To answer your question, you need a manual like this.

IMG_0708.JPG

And it says its a remote gas shut off valve (optional) we don't have it:cry: but we do have the ice-Ex gas regulator heating so we will be OK camping at -40 degC.

IMG_0709.JPG

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Now that what you call a user manual.
It is a thing of beauty, every fuse location, all equipment optional and standard, all drain down points, Alde air bleed etc etc, everything(y) and in English.

I wonder what the new ones get.

Martin

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for this Martin this much appreciated. One question for you as I am not too keen on hole cutting - how deep was the control panel? I know CBE also do a surface mounted version which may be more suitable for me. Very envious of your manual!

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for this Martin this much appreciated. One question for you as I am not too keen on hole cutting - how deep was the control panel? I know CBE also do a surface mounted version which may be more suitable for me. Very envious of your manual!
Hi

You could surface mount the control box that comes in the kit but I put a small hole behind it for the cables.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It is a thing of beauty, every fuse location, all equipment optional and standard, all drain down points, Alde air bleed etc etc, everything(y) and in English.

I wonder what the new ones get.

Martin
Same thing, A5 size and with a CD with the full manual as a PDF, 800 pages, which I had printed in A4 with ring binder from Docex for about £70 if I remember. So I have one at home and one on the van plus the PDF on the laptop, which is useful to search. As you say Martin a thing of beauty... albeit not as the Yankee I had which also had every single wire numbered and spreadsheet listed to task, wire gauge and position, which I thought was a standard in the MH industry. Krauts were in shock when I asked where it was on my Flair?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Martin,
I have had my Brunner setup for 2 years now and this week it gave up the ghost. 12vdc at the fans but no turning! I think the washing of the van the other day with a pressure hose was a mistake, but the aire had a Gantry too so you could do the roof. Anyway I shall have to get a new one when I get back and I quite like the CBE control panel, more versatile than the Brunner so may put your solution in. How is it surviving?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Michael

Its only been in a month or so really but seems to perform well, most of the time if its a warm but not "hot" day it will just run the fans on the first speed but when we were in Dusseldorf we had a couple of "hot" ones and I came back to the van and the red light was on which is full speed.

What can I say "it works" yes the control panel is nice, typical CBE and it matches the rest of our CBE stuff;)

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@funflair
Hi Martin. Can you tell me what colour your controller is please. One of your photos show it light grey and the other shows it almost black. I am trying to match with what I have so needs it almost black!
Hi Peter
I would say it is darker grey than it looks in the first photo, if you are planning on having it visible be aware that the led's are quite bright and go from Green for on through Orange for low speed and Red for high speed.

If you are at Shrewsbury Bonfire you are welcome to have a look for your self.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter
I would say it is darker grey than it looks in the first photo, if you are planning on having it visible be aware that the led's are quite bright and go from Green for on through Orange for low speed and Red for high speed.

If you are at Shrewsbury Bonfire you are welcome to have a look for your self.

Martin
Hi Martin
Thanks. I will take you up on that offer to have a look next weekend. If I get the same control unit as you I will want to get the correct surround to match my other switches and plugs. Presumably there is no light on at all if it is switched off?

Peter

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin
Thanks. I will take you up on that offer to have a look next weekend. If I get the same control unit as you I will want to get the correct surround to match my other switches and plugs. Presumably there is no light on at all if it is switched off?

Peter

Hi Peter

I run it from a 12v supply at the fridge so the Green light is always on, it's in a cupboard at the back of the microwave so it doesn't bother us but, you would have to put an inline switch to actually isolate it to turn the light off.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter

I run it from a 12v supply at the fridge so the Green light is always on, it's in a cupboard at the back of the microwave so it doesn't bother us but, you would have to put an inline switch to actually isolate it to turn the light off.

Martin
So the middle position of the sliding switch, which I understand is "off" for the fans, does not turn the light off? I think it does with the other control panel.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
So the middle position of the sliding switch, which I understand is "off" for the fans, does not turn the light off? I think it does with the other control panel.
Yes the off position on the oblong control panel does turn all the lights off.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Anyone know how this compares to the Brunner vento fan?

Also this appears to be the MCV version. CBE do a tornado 292 version. Anyone know the difference?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oops sorry yes I am sure it does, I just never think of switching it off as I just leave it in "auto" thinking about it I guess I could turn it right off during the winter and then on in the summer.

It would still have bright lights when it was on and running though.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Anyone know how this compares to the Brunner vento fan?

Also this appears to be the MCV version. CBE do a tornado 292 version. Anyone know the difference?

http://www.cbe.it/en/refrigerator-fans/ The fan numbers are the same so I think its just the style of the controller module.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back