Ready to go on 1st trip (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Having not managed to find the right MH, I've just converted my work van. The wife loves it - even got a sofa bed in the back! Has a loo, sink, cooker & a few other basic bits. But it'll do til we get the hang of things. It's a LWB high top so not to big for the 1st timer.
So we plan to go for 10 days at the end of July - just around Wales & possibly a little further. My question is: I'm not a technocrat so having looked at all the sat nav coordinates for the stops en route we'd like to try, how on earth do I put those in my Garmin???? It just keeps asking me for a postcode.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That's the second thread today!
On my Garmin, when I select Where To, I have to scroll down to next page of options to find Coordinates
You may have to change the format in settings somewhere if you need to change between degrees, minutes and seconds to decimal format.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
That's the bit I don't get!! The coordinates for the place I want are: 50.967941 -2.742045 My sat nav has options for: h ddd.dddd (degrees symbol) or h ddd(degree symb) mm.mmm' or
h ddd(deg sym) mm' ss.ss" all double dutch for me! Which format is the above reference in?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That's the bit I don't get!! The coordinates for the place I want are: 50.967941 -2.742045 My sat nav has options for: h ddd.dddd (degrees symbol) or h ddd(degree symb) mm.mmm' or
h ddd(deg sym) mm' ss.ss" all double dutch for me! Which format is the above reference in?
The format you require for those GPS coordinates is h ddd.dddd
50.967941 refers to latitude and would be N if you have to enter it on your satnav in place of the h in the format
-2.742045 is longitude and this location is west of Greenwich
and so you would enter W . You may not be able to enter the minus sign on the satnav.
If your desired destination has a positive longitude figure then you would put E when entering as the location would be east of Greenwich.

You do not need to enter all the decimal places, 50.9679 is sufficient.

Looking at this location on google earth, it is a roundabout on the A303 south of Ilchester.

If you want to convert between formats ( in order not to have to change your settings for example) you could use a webpage such as this

http://www.gpscoordinates.eu/convert-gps-coordinates.php

Your coordinates look like this
IMG_1479.PNG

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Glad I could help:) have a great trip, and I hope you're not going to pitch up on that roundabout:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
No!!! We are spending the 1st night just outside Bridport in a cafe car park (just dipping our toes) then off to Somerset to view a couple of campers for sale & see what nice overnight stops we can find.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
No!!! We are spending the 1st night just outside Bridport in a cafe car park (just dipping our toes) then off to Somerset to view a couple of campers for sale & see what nice overnight stops we can find.
Think about Brit Stops too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back