Running a Truma boiler for heat only? (1 Viewer)

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
When the water system is fully drained down, is it possible to run the warm air heating only (i.e. with no water in the boiler)?

Steve928

Free Member
Aug 28, 2009
Funster No
Which Truma system do you have?
Our boiler (Ultrastore) and heating (Ultraheat) are entirely separate units: currently the boiler is drained down while the heating is on on the 500W and lowest thermostat setting to keep the chill off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
My Bessacarr handbook includes a section about the Trumatic C 6002 EH (which is what mine is) and it doesn't say that you can't run it without water so I tried it and it gives out heat. (Page 77)
It also has a section on the Truma Ultrastore Water Heater which says Never operate the water heater without water in it. (Page 69)

Hope this helps.:thumb:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Heating ...

Again, depends on model, the Truma Combi range will run without water, no probs,:Smile:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Willh

One of the reasons I can think of is to be able to get the dump valve temp above 8C so that one can fill the boiler tank without resorting to the 'clothes peg' method.

geoff

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
i have a combination water and heating boiler not sure what model 6002 or something and I had the same querie. I rang Truma UK and they gave advice over the phone, very helpful and I have run mine now with no water. Give them a ring with the model and I,m sure they will advise you.
Dave

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
truma heater

its amazing how many people don t know if heater will work or not without water i also don t know how ours works it has a switch just for heating but it heats water up so not too sure how it works :Smile:

kevandmarg

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Colne, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ours is a Traumatic C5002 which definately runs with just heat & no water. Tried it out last weekend when I didn't want to fill with water because of frost. Only just got got MH so I've been reading all instruction books for all appliances & the trauma one explains how to run the heater with the boiler empty,

Kev

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When the water system is fully drained down, is it possible to run the warm air heating only (i.e. with no water in the boiler)?

Ours is truma trumatic C. The manual says "In the operating mode Heater Without Boiler the hot air heater can be operated with empty boiler".

So that is one click clockwise on the dial.

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004

If I decide to winter camp, I might not be able use the water system as I am unsure if the water tank on my 'Geist Spirit 560' is not fully insulated (it is below floor level).
I would just use site facilities.

I can't be sure of any of this yet as I have only just got my van this week, and have yet to investigate.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
With all this confusion it seems that Truma need to clarify their Manual to explain to new users.

If you people at Truma monitor this website (and I hope you do because this is a big market for you), please take note.

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
If you have a Truma C4002 or C6002 there is nothing wrong with the manual so please do no criticise before you read. It my be that the converters manual will not explain clearly, they should have included the Truma operating instructions. Truma manual page 10 heating is possible without restriction with or without water content. I am sure if you have any other Truma the manual will be just as clear if it does not say then you can't.
Steles

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Hi
If you have a Truma C4002 or C6002 there is nothing wrong with the manual so please do no criticise before you read. It my be that the converters manual will not explain clearly, they should have included the Truma operating instructions. Truma manual page 10 heating is possible without restriction with or without water content. I am sure if you have any other Truma the manual will be just as clear if it does not say then you can't.
Steles

"nothing wrong with the manual" !!! A very bold statement indeed.
Do you work for Truma?

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
As I said my Truma manual on page 10 explains.
Have you got Truma manual for your heater.
Nothing to do with Truma
Retired engineer.

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Heat w/o water?

I too had the same query on our '56 Plate M/H complete with Truma.
Definate YES. I did research it first with the dealer and all has been OK.
I DO MAKE SURE THAT THE 'selector knob' ONLY GOES to THE heat- only POSITION .....
dON'T KNOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU PUT IT TO ANOTHER !?!
Hope that helps:Smile:

Doodlebug

Free Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Funster No
Exp
We too have a C6002 and have used the heat setting without any water in the system this January and very grateful for the very good heating it provided.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks to everyone for the information.

Got me thinking, I've only got the Burstner version of the manual, so emailed Truma and half an hour later.......

Please click on the following link which will enable you to download the operating manual for your model of heater.
Link Removed

Now that is *serious* service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back