Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Folks

We had a young lady around the house yesterday who has talked my wife June into cancelling my AOL Broadband and BT Telephone line and Installing "TALK TALK". :Eeek:

She said that "TALK TALK" had taken over AOL. I have rang "TALK TALK" this morning and the young lady who answered the phone confirmed that "TALK TALK" had indeed taken over AOL.

I have been with AOL and BT for years and maybe I should have looked at the costs involved earlier. I know that I had a customer loyalty speed and download upgrade from AOL a number of years ago, although I cant remember what it is. (But I will find out, honest guvner)

The indvidual who called at my home yesterday told June that the cost of "TALK TALK" Broadband and Telephone was more than 50% cheaper than AOL and BT. :whatthe:

I am aware that AOL is more expensive than some other ISP'S but I have always had an excellent service from them.

After looking on the web this morning I am being charged a lot more by AOL than is advertised.

I told June to ring "TALK TALK" this morning and cancell any arrangements that had been made yesterday.

This being me in a male state of rage.:RollEyes:

Am I being a Dinosuar ?

June is not now talking to me and I wont be gettting any dinner tonight.:Doh:

I am aware that some people report poor service from "TALK TALK" in terms of reliability, connectivity, connection speeds = 8Mbps and download time caps = 40Gb.

Are there any wise ones who can help me make any sense out of this.

My judgement is still clouded after last nights fiasco :winky:

Cheers

Jim

:shout:

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Have you contacted AOL to ask if they have been taken over by Talk Talk?

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Have you contacted AOL to ask if they have been taken over by Talk Talk?

Thats the next step in the process and why I'm being charged more than the advertised price.

I dont want to confuse the issue at the minute. I need to get all my paperwork together when I'm home

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Jim let me just say the following. This is mine and many other persons experiences. If you do not believe me then go and have a search on the forums.

Like your wife I was happily with tesco about 18 + months ago. I had a knock and agreed to sign up for talk talk. At the time they were offering free broadband for life and free pone calls etc. It was well advertised on the television.
I signed up and awaited my migration date. It arrived and I awaited my new free talk talk account. After 2 days of no internet due to tesco ending there contract I began to worry. I contacted Talk talk and was pushed around to every continent to speak to that countries finest call centre person asking me what the weather was like. This went on for some 6 weeks. with no joy, all they would say is there was a delay. eventually I contacted Sky who now give me unlimited broadband, free telephone calls to all 01 and 02 numbers all day every day for a £10 per month. I also get movies and sports for just £29.95.

My story is not unique there was a whole host of people having trouble and many were on watchdog. I could not say if now was any better or worse, all I would say is that AOL are crap anyway in my book. :Blush:

So its up to you:thumb:

I llok forward to reading your posts on how you got on when the summer comes around.:thumb::thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i have used talktalk for years with no problems other than occasional slow speeds but i do live in the sticks and for really fast speeds you have to be within a couple of miles of a subbox or the main telephone exchange but that applies to all broadband (thats the reason they all say speeds up to X amount as it depends on your location). Over the years talk talk has saved me a good sum compared with when i was with BT, my package is free broadband,and free international calls,local calls and national calls all anytime included in my monthly package,(the amount my international calls used to be keeping in touch with family used to make the eyes water alone with out the rest) the only calls i pay on top of my monthly amount for are those 08/09/05 numbers or non geographic as they are called.
So no complaints from me with regard to talk talk - infact joining them stopped the quarterly raised voices re the telephone bill amount.
Highest monthly bill since joining them £29 that was my package plus some 0845/0870 calls when looking at renewing insurances. In the bad old days my bt bill was often over £150 +vat for the quarter

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We had a young lady around the house yesterday who has talked my wife June into cancelling my AOL Broadband and BT Telephone line and Installing "TALK TALK". :Eeek:
:shout:

Carphone Warehouse bought AOL a good while ago.

Carphone Warehouse bought Tiscali last year "Nothing will change".

TalkTalk is of course the Carphone Warehouse brand name.

I was with Tiscali, now this year they have just announced that as part of the integration all tariffs are merging so my deal goes from £12 to £18 a month.

Bastards.

I've not spotted any significantly better deals.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi Ihave been with talktalk for a number of years and have generaly been pleased wih the service.i have just signed up again and negotiated a discount.hope this helps.JohnM :thumb:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
The other side is getting AOL to stop taking your money, as it isn't a normal direct debit, so you cant stop the direct debit, it has to be stopped by AOL:ROFLMAO: best of luck with that one.
When I phoned for my MAC no the very sweet young lady whent into great detail about thier sister company "TalkTalk".
No I didn't stay with them as I too had heard the bad reports.
But still waiting to see when they will stop taking my money.

Don

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Carphone Warehouse bought AOL a good while ago.

Carphone Warehouse bought Tiscali last year "Nothing will change".

TalkTalk is of course the Carphone Warehouse brand name.

I was with Tiscali, now this year they have just announced that as part of the integration all tariffs are merging so my deal goes from £12 to £18 a month.

Bastards.

I've not spotted any significantly better deals.

Hi Brian

So your tiscali account will be the same price as TALK TALK do I have that right ?.

Is your tiscali just tinternet or phone as well.?

Jim

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Jim let me just say the following. This is mine and many other persons experiences. If you do not believe me then go and have a search on the forums.

Like your wife I was happily with tesco about 18 + months ago. I had a knock and agreed to sign up for talk talk. At the time they were offering free broadband for life and free pone calls etc. It was well advertised on the television.
I signed up and awaited my migration date. It arrived and I awaited my new free talk talk account. After 2 days of no internet due to tesco ending there contract I began to worry. I contacted Talk talk and was pushed around to every continent to speak to that countries finest call centre person asking me what the weather was like. This went on for some 6 weeks. with no joy, all they would say is there was a delay. eventually I contacted Sky who now give me unlimited broadband, free telephone calls to all 01 and 02 numbers all day every day for a £10 per month. I also get movies and sports for just £29.95.

My story is not unique there was a whole host of people having trouble and many were on watchdog. I could not say if now was any better or worse, all I would say is that AOL are crap anyway in my book. :Blush:

So its up to you:thumb:

I llok forward to reading your posts on how you got on when the summer comes around.:thumb::thumb:
Hi Haggers

Theyre the stories that I have been hearing and I know its a case of you pays your money and you takes your chance. Maybe from asking others first I can narrow down the chance of being wrong. Its a jungle out there.:RollEyes:

And I'm trying to pack up the fags, its been two weeks now, nobody will dare ring me and ask me for anything and the apprentices run for cover when I go into the workshop. What chance hav ISP'S got :whatthe:

Cheers

Jim
:RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian
So your tiscali account will be the same price as TALK TALK do I have that right ?.
Is your tiscali just tinternet or phone as well.?
Jim

Yes. £18 buys broadband, the line charge and some of the calls. I'd say the Tiscali brand is obviously going to be dumped.

They've also dropped broadband from no limit to 40G a month. Which I don't think is a problem. Mobile in the van I never used up 1G.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Yes. £18 buys broadband, the line charge and some of the calls. I'd say the Tiscali brand is obviously going to be dumped.

They've also dropped broadband from no limit to 40G a month. Which I don't think is a problem. Mobile in the van I never used up 1G.

Thanks Brian, both aol and talK talk offer 40G.

Jim

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The other side is getting AOL to stop taking your money, as it isn't a normal direct debit, so you cant stop the direct debit, it has to be stopped by AOL:ROFLMAO: best of luck with that one.
When I phoned for my MAC no the very sweet young lady whent into great detail about thier sister company "TalkTalk".
No I didn't stay with them as I too had heard the bad reports.
But still waiting to see when they will stop taking my money.

Don

Hi Don, Its an assumption on my part (first mistake) that because aol and talk talk are one and the same they would arrange payment conditions between themselves.

Jim

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Just to add to this for anyone who is with BT, I chated via internet with them yesterday because I was a lot of money in credit with them from direct debits and wanted to cut down on DD payments which they did straight away, better in my account than in BT's I thought. I also said thought my internet monthly charge was expensive compared to some other ISP's. They said I was on a really old tarif from 2006 and I should have changed tarif every year to save money. Result was a saving of £7 per month for internet fees and less per month DD and a new BT home hub. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Just to add to this for anyone who is with BT, I chated via internet with them yesterday because I was a lot of money in credit with them from direct debits and wanted to cut down on DD payments which they did straight away, better in my account than in BT's I thought. I also said thought my internet monthly charge was expensive compared to some other ISP's. They said I was on a really old tarif from 2006 and I should have changed tarif every year to save money. Result was a saving of £7 per month for internet fees and less per month DD and a new BT home hub. ::bigsmile:

Thanks for that Brian

Jim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Result was a saving of £7 per month for internet fees and less per month DD and a new BT home hub. ::bigsmile:

I've just done this with my mobile phone. Quick change of tariff save £4 a month.

If someone knocked on your door and said "here is a free bottle of Rioja, you get one every month" you'd be well pleased. So worth the tiny effort.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have been with AOL and BT for years and maybe I should have looked at the costs involved earlier.

After looking on the web this morning I am being charged a lot more by AOL than is advertised.

thats the problem Jim....you've been with aol for years...

usual rules apply....right, we've hook you, you've signed the contract, now ***k off and keep yer gob shut. we aint interested in you now you've signed.

we've done the same so you aint alone.
signed about 8 years ago, i think AOL 5 was new then:Eeek:, and shirl just pays by DD......£30 per month inc all national calls anytime.

keep telling her to cancel and change ISP and i cant convince her she WONT loose her AOL email addy if she does...but it falls on deaf ears.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
thats the problem Jim....you've been with aol for years...

usual rules apply....right, we've hook you, you've signed the contract, now ***k off and keep yer gob shut. we aint interested in you now you've signed.

we've done the same so you aint alone.
signed about 8 years ago, i think AOL 5 was new then:Eeek:, and shirl just pays by DD......£30 per month inc all national calls anytime.

keep telling her to cancel and change ISP and i cant convince her she WONT loose her AOL email addy if she does...but it falls on deaf ears.
Well Papa, Shirls only been doing the same thing as I have, as you say, why would they get in touch and offer me a service for less money?,

Well here comes the spooky bit. We were getting calls from AOL for weeks from an International Number. The first time they rang and asked for me, June said I wasn't in and I wasnt so they told her that they were ringing to save me money and they would ring back later.:whatthe:, oh yer says I.

The calls went on for weeks at approx 6pm every night (why didnt they send me an email), we never answered one of them. What if they were trying to put me on a lower tariff:Eeek:.

Anyway, Ive had a look at aol and talk talk on the web today. First off I'm paying way over the odds for my Internet and thats without a phone line from them, So as Brian and Dylan said there going to be getting a call. Also had a look at talk talk. They look the same as aol and tonight I'll try and spot the difference.

One things for sure I've learnt a few things today and they arent going to rermain the same. There was a thread on here about retreiving your emails etc a while ago and so I know that I can do that.

Cheers

Jim

:thumb:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
evidently AOL now provide free email addys to anyone....much like hotmail etc. so if you leave you just retain your email addy.

pain having to go to AOL to retreive 'em but i dont know how to redirect 'em to IE. or even if its possible.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
evidently AOL now provide free email addys to anyone....much like hotmail etc. so if you leave you just retain your email addy.

pain having to go to AOL to retreive 'em but i dont know how to redirect 'em to IE. or even if its possible.

I will try to dig out the thread that showed how to do it although it may be lost in time. I think AOL keep the account dormant and you can log in to it from another machine by going to the AOL WEB Site. Something you cant replicate until your turned off !!!.

Jim

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I've been with AOL for years. My phone had been changed from BT to Southern Electric because it was cheaper a couple of years ago.

I signed up for a new AOL package (which I later found is provided by Talk Talk).

I now pay £10 a month less to AOL, calls to the service centre if I need them are free from my landline (AOL had stopped their freephone number that they used to have for these).

AND it includes free evening & weekend calls and the line rental for the phone.

So I'm paying a lot less overall.

There was no break in service from AOL, it's just the same as it was before.

So I'm a happy bunny.

PS I don't have AOL on my netbook, but I can read & reply to my e-mails on it just by going to the AOL website and signing in using my normal AOL sign in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I've been with AOL for years. My phone had been changed from BT to Southern Electric because it was cheaper a couple of years ago.

I signed up for a new AOL package (which I later found is provided by Talk Talk).

I now pay £10 a month less to AOL, calls to the service centre if I need them are free from my landline (AOL had stopped their freephone number that they used to have for these).

AND it includes free evening & weekend calls and the line rental for the phone.

So I'm paying a lot less overall.

There was no break in service from AOL, it's just the same as it was before.

So I'm a happy bunny.

PS I don't have AOL on my netbook, but I can read & reply to my e-mails on it just by going to the AOL website and signing in using my normal AOL sign in.

Thanks Cazture.

After telling June to cancell the talk talk package that she signed up to on Tuesday, I had a look at it yesterday and aked her to re-sign last night. So I got my dinner after all.

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back