Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
thinking of geting a generator can you tell me if you plug it in then start the generator or do you start it then plug it in to the van

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Always start it and let it run a bit before switching on, less chance of a spike

IMO

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you should start it first and let it run a few minutes to settle down.

in a perfect world you should turn off the fuse box main switch then plug it in and turn the mainswitch back on. (CC recommend you do this on hookup as well)

beleive me...not many folks, me included, do this but do let it run for a couple of minutes first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
My method is to:
1. Plug cable into van but not genny
2. Start genny - easier pull if not loaded to provide power.
4. Get it running without choke.
3. Plug cable into genny.

This is not an expert answer - just the way I have always done it. Maybe an expert will come along and tell us how it should be done:winky:

Patrick

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
thinking of geting a generator can you tell me if you plug it in then start the generator or do you start it then plug it in to the van

Not an expert but I make sure my battery charger unit is off and all 240v appliances are also off to avoid voltage spikes .I then plug genny in van and start up, leave the genny run for a few minutes before switching on battery charger etc

Shore-is-Good

Free Member
Aug 26, 2008
Somewhere warm
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Just as important:

How to disconnect from generator...Unplug cable from generator and leave gen. running for a few minutes before shutting down. Never kill genny while current still flowing to van.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Our genny instructions specifically state that you should start without any load applied and that it should be allowed to run for a few minutes to warm up before apply any load - also that it should be stopped for refueling and that you should restart without load even when warm

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Reckon every one is right and in all honesty I really should follow your example.. Hate to admit it ( esp given my background !! ) but I never worry about it
Though yes, I do of course let the gen settle down before plugging the van in to it but that is more to do with being kind to the genny engine that avoidance of spikes :Doh:::bigsmile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqAgKlN5w-4[/ame]

this one looks good enough for when at a show next to the darkside:ROFLMAO:

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
All good advice, one thing I will add - when your putting it back in the locker at the end of the trip turn it of on the fuel valve and let it run dry instead if turning it of oin the control panel. This will use uop the fuel inn the carb and make it run dry. No stale fuel in the carb and it will help with the smell!
Simon

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Generator

Can anyone tell me are they good? I think it is better to plug in to the site?.

May be silly question but new to moter homing.:Eeek:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Can anyone tell me are they good? I think it is better to plug in to the site?.

May be silly question but new to moter homing.:Eeek:

Alivan,

yes they do the job, and I think you will find they are only used where EHU is not available.

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
All good advice, one thing I will add - when your putting it back in the locker at the end of the trip, turn it off on the fuel valve and let it run dry instead if turning it off on the control panel. This will use up the fuel in the carb and make it run dry. No stale fuel in the carb and it will help with the smell!
Simon

I would further add to have it unplugged from your MH and also to ensure you do not run out of fuel in normal use. In both these situations the engine can speed up and cause damage.

Not sure what generator you are proposing to use. If it is a cheap and cheerful, get a surge arrestor at the generator. I used a low budget unit and burnt out the charger in my MH as it ran to fast. Taking delivery of a Kipor today as a result of this near miss

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Generator

A surge protector plugged into the gennie is also a good precaution.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Even better, put the surge protector on th van side of you EHU plug and it will protect you when on dodgy hook ups - they do exist:Eeek:

This questions was raised on an RV forum.. apparently they are popular in the US. I've done a lot of Googling and not found a simply plug and play product.. only hard wired for the DB.. I came to the conclusion that no one made one.

If this product were available, others raised concerns about theft of said plug.

I use a 6 way surge protected socket for voltage sensitive portable equipment

jim

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Slightly off topic but ...
How big of a genny do you need ?
How long does it need to run to charge the battery ?
Do you leave it on all the time or just when battery runs down ?
I cant decide between fitting an extra battery or a genny for the occasions we have no hook up .

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
I can see I'm gonna have fun when I'm on my own down in Weymouth, all these things to remember :RollEyes:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
How do you run a genny ?

"AS LOUDLY AS POSSIBLE"

Jim

:roflmto:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Slightly off topic but ...
How big of a genny do you need ?
How long does it need to run to charge the battery ?
Do you leave it on all the time or just when battery runs down ?
I cant decide between fitting an extra battery or a genny for the occasions we have no hook up .

If you only want a gennie for charging, rather than running things like microwaves etc., then a 1KVa should be sufficient - that size can deliver a continuous output of around 900 watts.. Check the input power requirement of your on-board charger to confirm that this is less than 900W. If wattage is not stated, see if the instructions specify the current draw in amps, then multiply by 230 to get the watts.
If you want to run more power-hungry devices from the van's sockets as well as charging the batteries, you will need a bigger generator - 2KVa or more.

How long does it take to charge the batteries? Same time as if you were on EHU. Check the charging current of your on-board charger - that's the output. They are typically around 15-20 Amps. Divide the total Amp-hours of battery capacity that you are trying to recharge by the output of your charger and that gives an approximation of the number of hours required.

In practice, you should not be trying to recharge the battery(ies) from flat, so the time required depends on how much you have drawn out. As an example, my estimated maximum consumption is 20 Amp-hours per day in summer and 60 Amp-hours per day in winter. (These are almost certainly on the high side of reality.) So, taking the winter example, and knowing that my charger output is 18 Amps:

60/18 = 3.33 hours to recharge.

I am new to generator use, but last Sunday, after two nights without charging, I ran the gennie for about 2.5 hours which gave me ample power for another night at least, but did not get the batteries (2 x 110Ah) back to full charge.

If you have only one battery, fitting a second has to be the first step. With the two that we have, we never hook-up in the summer (unless it is part of the pitch price) and in winter, we can last 3-4 nights.

Philip

Last edited:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Wow........
Many thanks for that very informative reply you have answered all and more of my questions. Think I will take your advice and fit an additional battery 1st then see how we get on.
In reality we want to run the eberspatcher for a few hours a day and evenings also on low setting all night and with a couple of lights on in the evenings.
i know this is prob a very difficult question but in your exoerience do you think that 2 110a batterys will be sufficient as I very much doubt we will ever be in one place for m,ore than 2 days.
Ian

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
This questions was raised on an RV forum.. apparently they are popular in the US. I've done a lot of Googling and not found a simply plug and play product.. only hard wired for the DB.. I came to the conclusion that no one made one.

If this product were available, others raised concerns about theft of said plug.

I use a 6 way surge protected socket for voltage sensitive portable equipment

jim

Try this lot, Jim: Link Removed

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In reality we want to run the eberspatcher for a few hours a day and evenings also on low setting all night and with a couple of lights on in the evenings.
i know this is prob a very difficult question but in your exoerience do you think that 2 110a batterys will be sufficient as I very much doubt we will ever be in one place for m,ore than 2 days.
Ian

I have no experience of the Eberspacher system, but guess it needs power for the pumps / fan operation. As a comparison, we have a Truma gas system that requires power to drive the hot air fan. Last weekend we left it running 24 hours / day, albeit set at the lowest level overnight and whilst we were out in the day. In addition, we had a 12V TV and digital receiver box running for about 3 hours each evening and were not stingy with the lights. And I ran an inverter for a couple of hours to recharge my camera battery. I am pretty sure we could have lasted the third night without recharging the leisure batteries - I just wanted to try out our new generator!

Like us, you move from place to place quite quickly and recharging will be via the engine alternator. I think 2 x 110 Ah batteries will be ample for your needs. Apart from topping up at home before and after a trip, I only get the hook-up lead out of the locker once or twice a year! And I only got the generator as an emergency back-up for occasions when we might be in a field for a few days in winter - such as a rally.

Philip

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Philip
Many thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail. I will have a look into fitting the batery this weekend and let you know how I get on.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Option

Or there's solar power panels, quiet and free,once purchaced ,also safe (no petrol)no lugging about,AND no going outside in the RAIN...people.
As far as i'm aware,no you dont need to earth generator. (p.s i have a small 950,but will convert to solar soon as)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back