Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
Hi guys,

Well its getting dangerously close to me and the missus shelling out for our first RV. We know we want American, thats a given BUT do we go for Gas/LPG or diesel?

I have an old 740 Volvo which is LPG virtually totally because its an old carb model. Its soooo cheap to run and I confess to being a bit biased. The question is: Are there many LPG stations in Europe, if so where will I find a map/book/list of them. We are going away for the forseable and will be full timers.

Any thoughts please?

Oakeyfamily

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi only my thoughts :ROFLMAO: but at anything from 8 to 12 mpg for petrol and around 10 to 14 mpg for diesel ( if you are being truthful :ROFLMAO:) LPG would be the way to go for me.If stuck in Europe you can always bite the bullet and use petrol until you find a gas filling station :Eeek: or plan your trip and make sure you have full tanks keeping them topped up as you pass LPG points
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Gotta be LPG, just make sure you have an adaptor with you ..
LPG places just about everywhere nowadays :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Oakeys, Our Hurricane is on a Ford Triton V10 petrol /LPG and it runs a treat, about 8mpg on gas which I suppose relates to about 14 mpg in cost. Our last RV was an Allegro on the 6.5l V8 turbo diesel but at 215bhp it was a bit noisy and didn't have the pulling power of the 365 bhp triton.
We are at present about to buy a B class RV to reduce overall size a bit and will probably get one on petrol/ lpg again. There is the option of a Ford 6l powerstroke diesel but some have had problems here and in the states so we will probably steer clear.

best of luck Larry

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi.
We have had two deisel rv,s and our third is a petrol ,the wife chose it and i must say after not having a petrol vehicle for thirty years i am very happy with it, it is a b class and last oct down in France and Spain we could get around fourteen to the gallon but i dont drive it the speed some of these europeans pass us at. :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:
We will get it converted this summer just need to save a bit, and we will get it done in Newport one of the best conversion centre in the country.:thumb::thumb::thumb::

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi.
We have had two deisel rv,s and our third is a petrol ,the wife chose it and i must say after not having a petrol vehicle for thirty years i am very happy with it, it is a b class and last oct down in France and Spain we could get around fourteen to the gallon but i dont drive it the speed some of these europeans pass us at. :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:
We will get it converted this summer just need to save a bit, and we will get it done in Newport one of the best conversion centre in the country.:thumb::thumb::thumb::

Hello Griffs The Aspect 28 is on our shortlist to replace our Hurricane , we are waiting to see one that is due in at Dudleys, would you recommend it

Larry

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Oakeyfamily,

From Jan 2002 to 2007 we owned a Ford Explorer 4x4 that we had LPG converted, we purchased the Ford to tow a large twin axle caravan, I buy another tomorrow. :thumb:

Now filling the 4x4 solo was no problem, however once attached to the caravan things became a little difficult and in the UK I had to avoid some of my know LPG filling points if the caravan was attached. :Sad:

Now we toured France and Spain with our outfit, basically the French tend on their forecourts to position the LPG pump away from the petrol and diesel, they also tend to raise the pumps or have high kerbs around the pumps I presume to protect them from poor drivers.

If there are two pumps the distance between the raised kerbs mentioned can be narrow say Ford Transit width.

Spain is still somewhat limited with the number of LPG stations but is slowly increasing them. See Here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100414488872017056350.00045c0c2ec92a3f46ca4&ll=40.078071,-3.493652&spn=7.564133,19.6875&z=6

Because of the points raised and in MY opinion the problems I found they cause I choose to buy an 'A' Class diesel American motor home.

If you do buy petrol and get a conversion make sure you have filling points installed on BOTH sides just in case you cannot pull in with the filling point to a pump as the filling hose will not reach otherwise.

Mick

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Finland is the only country in the whole of Europe where you can't get Autogas.

olley

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
LPG or not LPG

Hello Griffs The Aspect 28 is on our shortlist to replace our Hurricane , we are waiting to see one that is due in at Dudleys, would you recommend it

Larry

Hi Larry,
Definitely recommend, since we've had our Winnebago we've never looked back. The Aspect is probably the lowest American RV & blends in wherever you go. We've found the Winnebago's to have that better finish. Ours is Maple woodwork with brushed steel electric sockets, not like the gold looking rope edged sockets that so many conversion companies fit. Our Winnie is only 26.5 foot long so yours will have a different layout,they are both very nice and i think you will be well pleased, we spent a month in France and Spain last October and found there was enough storage roll on the new season.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i dont know how accurate but while fun was down the other day i read on another forum (dont ask, i dont remember) there are only 22 LPG stations in the whole of spain :Eeek:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Papa, don't know where you got that info, ::bigsmile: but there's over 40 now. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Papa Spain is not the only country where its a bit sparse, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland and Greece are similar. There's apprently an EU directive out that all EU countries must have 5% of vehicles on LPG, don't know the time frame.

Very few; if any countries are at this level at the moment so the future looks LPG! ::bigsmile:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back