calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
I just bought a motorhome and obviously checked the tyres and they all had plenty of tread.
Normally factor in a set of tyres in a vehicle deal.
About a week later I read an article in Caravan Club magazine that refers you to this link.

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/

They (Tyresafe-Tyre Industry Council)recommend NOT driving on tyres older than 7 years.
Just checked and using their guide, I think my tyres are dated 2001.
Contacted motorhome dealer with concerns who told me not to worry about it so long as tread is OK.
Any thoughts.
Kev

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Thanks calcul old lad, not for your post, but for your avatar.

I agree completely.

Please Jim, Sir, Light of my Life, can you organise this for me, too?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Me, I am tight. Very. But do not drive on old tyres. I am also a recycle nut. Still do not drive on old tyres. Hate waste,but do not drive on old tyres. Penny pincher, but do not drive on old tyres. Not talking about worn out tyres, sad tyres, cracked tyres..... I even buy sell-bys, but do not drive on old tyres. Am I being clear? Hope that helps. Jane :Smile:

Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
Seem to recall that the date of manufacture is coded on the side wall of the tyre......its something like 03007 (March 2007).

I could go out and check on our vehicles but it is flipping cold out there and we have a huge log fire roaring in the inglenook. Will have a look in the morning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Just to add my 2 cents worth.

Checking the side walls for cracks etc is right but make sure to check the Inside wall as well ( ie the side facing under the vehicle ) twice I have had tyres from a well known quick fitter that ballooned out on the inside wall where it didn't show. Very nasty possibilities come to mind.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I just bought a motorhome and obviously checked the tyres and they all had plenty of tread.
Normally factor in a set of tyres in a vehicle deal.
About a week later I read an article in Caravan Club magazine that refers you to this link.

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/

They (Tyresafe-Tyre Industry Council)recommend NOT driving on tyres older than 7 years.
Just checked and using their guide, I think my tyres are dated 2001.
Contacted motorhome dealer with concerns who told me not to worry about it so long as tread is OK.
Any thoughts.
Kev

Thanks for the link, that website is paid for by people who sell tyres, I wonder why they are so keen for you to buy new tyres before the old ones are worn out :RollEyes:

The suggested 6 year limit is because sunlight may perish the tyre, but the age of the tyre is only a guide to the amount of sunlight it has had, and the tyres resistance to sunlight. I have fitted a 14 year old tyre that was like new because it has always been the spare carried in the boot!

The tyres on my bike are about 35 years old (the bike was a retirement present for a gentleman who never used it much) The rubber part of the sidewalls is full of cracks, and has been for many years, but the tyres still run at 60psi no problems at all. The strength is in the fibre reinforcement, not in the rubber sidewall.

I would certainly check the tyre inner side and outer side out for bulges though, irrespective of the age of the tyre. If there are any bulges, the tyre should be replaced because a bulge is a sure sign of a seriously weakened tyre.

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Seem to recall that the date of manufacture is coded on the side wall of the tyre......its something like 03007 (March 2007).

I could go out and check on our vehicles but it is flipping cold out there and we have a huge log fire roaring in the inglenook. Will have a look in the morning.

You are right, tyres are date coded and usually similar to this 0305 means march 2005

hope this helps

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
You are right, tyres are date coded and usually similar to this 0305 means march 2005

hope this helps

I think that after 2000 the code is 4 digits.
The first 2 digits = week number.
the final 2 digits = year.

For example 3407 means week 34 in year 2007.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Im not a 100% sure but I am sure if a tyre is over 5 years old and you have a blow out etc your insurance company will not pay out no matter how much tread is on the tyre .

( I could not open the link above so not sure of what it said ) and as I said above I am not a 100% sure.

Paul

OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp

The link in my original post explains how to read the code.
K

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have read other advice and changed mine after 5 years on my last van. I will do so on this van too.
Always an argumentitive thing is tyres. Personally I would not take any risk. Its not the sunlight issue but the weight on the walls. because motorhomes spend long periods standing (in some cases not mine) this can put a lot of pressure on the walls. I only buy camping car tyres (michelines at present xc) although many people opt to put ordinary van tyres on. Once again I had this explained to me and once again it was a standing weight issue.
Others will disagree, but for me I always heed tyre advice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
tread depth is irrelevent and tyres do deteriorate with age....

other damage aside, 5 years is the recommended age for renewal.

same reason as cambelts should be changed on a time basis as most vans wont do the mileage need for mileage renewal. ie: 80'000 mls or 4 yrs

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Please do not take chance with old tyres! I hadone blow on a caravan a few years ago and the damage that was done to the wheel arch area of the van was unbelievable.
With a motorhome and the weight it could be catastrophic.
Unless you can find some 35 year old bike tyres to fit:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Steve

OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
Thanks for the link, that website is paid for by people who sell tyres, I wonder why they are so keen for you to buy new tyres before the old ones are worn out :RollEyes:

The suggested 6 year limit is because sunlight may perish the tyre, but the age of the tyre is only a guide to the amount of sunlight it has had, and the tyres resistance to sunlight. I have fitted a 14 year old tyre that was like new because it has always been the spare carried in the boot!

The tyres on my bike are about 35 years old (the bike was a retirement present for a gentleman who never used it much) The rubber part of the sidewalls is full of cracks, and has been for many years, but the tyres still run at 60psi no problems at all. The strength is in the fibre reinforcement, not in the rubber sidewall.

I would certainly check the tyre inner side and outer side out for bulges though, irrespective of the age of the tyre. If there are any bulges, the tyre should be replaced because a bulge is a sure sign of a seriously weakened tyre.

Thanks for your comments. Yes I had realised that Tyresafe is an industry body with a vested interest in sales, but just to respond, the Caravan Club recommends replacement after 5 years. As far as I know, they have no axe to grind other than the safety of their members. In addition the American video report suggests that a visual check is not effective at detecting the degradation (drying out) of the rubber.
K

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for your comments. Yes I had realised that Tyresafe is an industry body with a vested interest in sales, but just to respond, the Caravan Club recommends replacement after 5 years. As far as I know, they have no axe to grind other than the safety of their members. In addition the American video report suggests that a visual check is not effective at detecting the degradation (drying out) of the rubber.
K

I don't know about the Caravan Club. I have not stayed on their sites because I gather they would not let me in as my motorhome has no windows in the back (for security, coolness in the Spanish Sun, and being able to get away with parking up where Motorhomes are banned like all over Gibraltar) It has 3 windows in the front and I don't find it any more claustraphobic than the average room in a house (that has only a window at one end.)

But, if the age of the tyre is so vital, isn't it strange, that with all the mountain of regulations there are about vehicles these days, including many regulations about tyres, there is not one concerning the age of the tyres?

Last edited:
OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
I don't know about the Caravan Club. I have not stayed on their sites because I gather they would not let me in as my motorhome has no windows in the back (for security, coolness in the Spanish Sun, and being able to get away with parking up where Motorhomes are banned like all over Gibraltar) It has 3 windows in the front and I don't find it any more claustraphobic than the average room in a house (that has only a window at one end.)

But, if the age of the tyre is so vital, isn't it strange, that with all the mountain of regulations there are about vehicles these days, including many regulations about tyres, there is not one concerning the age of the tyres?

Yes I do agree that you would expect there to be something in the MOT at least about the age of tyres.
BTW. I'm sure I have seen home builds on CC sites.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Yes I do agree that you would expect there to be something in the MOT at least about the age of tyres.
BTW. I'm sure I have seen home builds on CC sites.

It would be a very easy and cheap regulation to enforce if it was necessary wouldn't it? Every tyre stamped with its date of manufacture, checked at the side of the road by all the privatised traffic wardens on commission. They'd love it. But the tyre sellers have not convinced the Department of Transport it is necessary (and they have not convinced me when my bike is running fine on 35 year old tyres.)

I haven't actually tried to get on to a CC site, it was just something I read on another forum about being turned away if your van does not have windows in the back. (mine is a standard Citroen Relay high roof XLWB that just looks like an ordinary white van from the outside.)

Last edited:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
5 years is the recommended age for renewal.

same reason as cambelts should be changed on a time basis as most vans wont do the mileage need for mileage renewal. ie: 80'000 mls or 4 yrs

The vehicle manufacturers servicing schedule sets an age limit for cambelts and other components. But they don't put an age limit on the tyres.

The only organisations I have seen who put an age limit on the tyres are the tyre sellers. Oh and the Caravan Club who also think a motorhome is not fit for purpose if it does not have windows in the back. So you know how I value their opinion :RollEyes:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+

Lets face it most ordinary vehicles with the milage they do yearly need replacement tyres every 3 or 4 years, it is only the likes of caravans, trailers,motorhomes that spend any length of time standing in one spot. I prefer to be safe rather than sorry and have always changed my tyres around the 5 or 6 year mark and on my trailers its like changing a new tyre for a new tyre, the other thing i do is bring the old tyres home with me so that they cant be sold on as part used. I at present have about 12 tyres stacked in my back garden as i no longer have a use for them(they used to come in handy for making jumps etc when we had horses)

At the end of the day the rubber tread is bonded to a canvas type inner and over time that bonding will give as it deteriates helped along by the vehicle standing in one spot for a length of time then being moved (at varying speeds and distances) then standing again and if you are unlucky enough to get a little bubble of debonding somewhere within the tyre it is only a matter of time before that little bubble becomes a serious possibly life taking fault - not only possibly yours but nearby strangers too if it should happen whilst you are travelling at a reasonable speed.

Car manufacturers dont have to give tyre life limits as if there is a problem with a tyre it is down to the tyre manufacturer to resolve not the car manufacturer even when the vehicle is under full warrenty. A dealer may change the tyre if found faulty (good customer service) but he will take it up with the tyre producer not his vehicle producer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
Despite me pointing out the Tyresafe and Caravan club guidelines and sending him the alarming ABC TV video posted above, the dealer has preferred the advice of his colleague in the industry. So I'm getting close to naming and shaming right now.
Interesting how none of the other dealers have commented.
I'm also thinking of posting on a busier sub-board as I suspect there are a lot of motorhomers driving around with aged tyres.
K

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Some of the comments here relate to the weight of the van, length of time standing as breaking down the walls, but what about a spare wheel kept in the dark and never used on the road, surely that has a longer life expectancy ?.
The other point I would make refers to the length of time tyres sit in a Dealers before being sold because I don't think they do stock rotation like Supermarkets, and I expect they don't get MH's in every day.
Still got a tractor on 1950 rears with a few cracks in, but not too worried at 12mph flat out !:winky:

OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks evans88 for the Continental link.

It is interesting to note that Continental state

" Contintental is unaware of any technical data that supports a specific tyre age for removal from service"

Have no safety organisations done any research on age-related tyre failure, or at least included that reason in a general study of tyre failures?
Do we know that there is a real problem with tyres that look good but fail? - as apart from left standing on one spot/in sun and start to show visible signs.

Anyone got a clue?

Geoff

OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
ATS man told me this morning that 10 years is maximum legal age on the continent now.
Anyone verify this?
K

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I do find these threads regarding tyres very confusing surely the only people who can confirm how long the life of a tyre is the manufacturers, if anyone has any doubts just ring the manufacturer and ask.

I spoke to Michelin and explained my situation and the visual appearance of the tyre and they said they were OK why doubt them they are the experts, if I accept their advice when it comes to tyre pressures etc why wouldn't I accept their advice when it comes to all matters tyre related

As for all of the other would be experts what qualifications have they got when it comes to tyre manufacturer, companies like Michelin spend millions every year in research and development, then someone comes along who knows better, makes you wonder,

If the tyre manufacturer thought they could get away with telling you to change them sooner don't you think they would, do you really think they would suggest you take risks that would surely be against their long term and probably short term interests.

As for us using them differently than cars etc. if you telephone them you can explain what use you put them too, also they do make specific tyres for campers so I feel sure they will know more about them than anyone.

Please don't let us confuse 2 issues, If someone is worried about using tyres after a given period of time, say 5 years then by all means change them,

But just because someone feels worried does not mean that all tyres 5 years old are unfit, its just that persons personal preference, you really need to contact the manufacturer and ask them they are always in my experience more than ready to advise and if they advise you to replace them then take that advice.

Its also worth reading the posts where people have reported that new tyres they have just or very recently had fitted actually failed, so replacement is not always a surety of safety.

Last edited:
OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
Hi,
I do find these threads regarding tyres very confusing surely the only people who can confirm how long the life of a tyre is the manufacturers, if anyone has any doubts just ring the manufacturer and ask.

I spoke to Michelin and explained my situation and the visual appearance of the tyre and they said they were OK why doubt them they are the experts, if I accept their advice when it comes to tyre pressures etc why wouldn't I accept their advice when it comes to all matters tyre related

As for all of the other would be experts what qualifications have they got when it comes to tyre manufacturer, companies like Michelin spend millions every year in research and development, then someone comes along who knows better, makes you wonder,

If the tyre manufacturer thought they could get away with telling you to change them sooner don't you think they would, do you really think they would suggest you take risks that would surely be against their long term and probably short term interests.

As for us using them differently than cars etc. if you telephone them you can explain what use you put them too, also they do make specific tyres for campers so I feel sure they will know more about them than anyone.

Please don't let us confuse 2 issues, If someone is worried about using tyres after a given period of time, say 5 years then by all means change them,

But just because someone feels worried does not mean that all tyres 5 years old are unfit, its just that persons personal preference, you really need to contact the manufacturer and ask them they are always in my experience more than ready to advise and if they advise you to replace them then take that advice.

Its also worth reading the posts where people have reported that new tyres they have just or very recently had fitted actually failed, so replacement is not always a surety of safety.

Thanks Braunston
I would love to trust the experts but I believe that your trust in them is dangerous.
There are two problems with that.
1. Many experts have a vested interest.
2. They disagree
For example I have received wise words from experts ranging from:
"Don't worry in the slightest about your (nearly nine year old) tyres"
to
"Change them as soon as possible, 5 years is the absolute maximum age"
Plus every shade in between.
Lets me reiterate. These weren't off the cuff remarks from the bloke down the pub, but from people you would expect to be able to trust.
Judging from the American report, I'm not sure that the work on tyre age has even been done or at least published, but I would like to see it. Relevant to this is the one piece of advice that all the experts have agreed on is that if they pass the required visual inspection (MOT) they are safe.
I have doubts about the validity of this. As you say there is no guarantee of a competely safe tyre (even new). The best we can hope for is rigorous statistical based testing which can provide a low probabilty of failure. Please don't think that I am totally negative about the thread. I would find a European Law limiting tyres to 10 years of age quite reassuring, hence the question.
K

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back