Reduction on ferries for wrinklies (1 Viewer)

Absolutelyalan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Chalabre, South of France
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 2008
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I discovered it today quite by accident. If you're about to book a crossing with DFDS on the interweb - DON'T!

I was trying to book a ferry crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe with DFDS and the website was playing silly b*****s, refusing my card. After a lot of burrowing around on their website (why is it they always do everything to stop you actually speaking to them?) I found a phone number for 'Channel bookings'. Called them this morning and was told 'Oh, this isn't the number for Newhaven - Dieppe'. Yes, but your website..... leave it, not worth arguing about.

Anyway, the lady then gave me a French number to call, which I did. Totally different reception, a delightful, pleasant French lady who spoke fluent English and actually seemed pleased that I wanted to use her company. So here's the important bit (at last, I hear you groan) - she asked me if I was over 60 and when I said yes I am, she said I get a 20% discount. 20%!! It made quite a difference to my one-way crossing with my campervan, so the potential savings for a large motorhome on a return journey would be significant.

So, the number to call is 0033 232144729.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Out of interest, mainly because I am not yet 60 and mildly jealous (slightly infuriated) how did you get to prove it

supplementary question, why should over 60's travel for less ? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@DavidG58 They count the wrinkles around your eyes to prove you are over 60(y)

As to why, well it might be a general thought that those over 60 are less wealthy and have no way of earning more than those who are younger :unsure: I am over 60 and not wealthy so shall say no more apart from what the heck can I do to earn more income.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are booked for three weeks time and have the discount. I presume they much check our passports at the ferry as I didn't have to provide evidence and Nick is the over 60 person. @Hollyberry ,how did you find the frequent traveller scheme. I've tried googling it but no luck. Thank you.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@carolyjn Maybe you have to find a partner to share the frequent traveller scheme :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They will be able to check that at least one of the travellers is over 60 as you have to give details of all those travelling prior to the trip ... Advanced Passenger Information.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
They will be able to check that at least one of the travellers is over 60 as you have to give details of all those travelling prior to the trip ... Advanced Passenger Information.

Yes, but do they actually check. That involves looking at the date of birth on the passport and calculating mentally whether you qualify. Somehow, i doubt they will bother ;)

OP
OP
Absolutelyalan

Absolutelyalan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Chalabre, South of France
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 2008
Been out on the town (or what passes for it in rural France) so I've just rejoined the discussion.

The lady asked me for my date of birth, so maybe they will check at the port. But I bet not.

As for WillH's point about not getting a discount on a pint of beer, that's true, but it takes us longer to get rid of it!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Out of interest, mainly because I am not yet 60 and mildly jealous (slightly infuriated) how did you get to prove it

supplementary question, why should over 60's travel for less ? :)

Because we can ;) We also get free prescriptions, concessionary rates on C&CC bookings, English Heritage and NTS membership to mention a few.

I suspect your slight infuriation will disappear if and when you reach 60. If you don't however, it is likely to be the least of your worries!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Because we can ;) We also get free prescriptions, concessionary rates on C&CC bookings, English Heritage and NTS membership to mention a few.

I suspect your slight infuriation will disappear if and when you reach 60. If you don't however, it is likely to be the least of your worries!
Don't forget Bus passes.:D

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I discovered it today quite by accident. If you're about to book a crossing with DFDS on the interweb - DON'T!

I was trying to book a ferry crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe with DFDS and the website was playing silly b*****s, refusing my card. After a lot of burrowing around on their website (why is it they always do everything to stop you actually speaking to them?) I found a phone number for 'Channel bookings'. Called them this morning and was told 'Oh, this isn't the number for Newhaven - Dieppe'. Yes, but your website..... leave it, not worth arguing about.

Anyway, the lady then gave me a French number to call, which I did. Totally different reception, a delightful, pleasant French lady who spoke fluent English and actually seemed pleased that I wanted to use her company. So here's the important bit (at last, I hear you groan) - she asked me if I was over 60 and when I said yes I am, she said I get a 20% discount. 20%!! It made quite a difference to my one-way crossing with my campervan, so the potential savings for a large motorhome on a return journey would be significant.

So, the number to call is 0033 232144729.
Well that is no way to repay her excellent customer service is it, give everyone her number. The poor lady will now be rushed off her feet.....:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's pension age now but most of us wrinkles on here have them.:D
2010 was when they started putting back the age you could get one, they gradually extended the age over a few years. I got mine in 2010 had wait an extra 34 days for it.
A benefit for the environment as we always get bus to Worthing or Brighton.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A bit of background.........
I'm 15 miles from Newhaven and have used the N'n - Dieppe service since about 1956 when the port was owned by British Rail and our Morris 8 was driven onto a sort of pallet with a chain at each corner on the quay and winched onto the ship. I've since travelled a couple of times each year for the past 25 or more years. I was in fact involved in the establishment of this service (it must've been 30+ years ago?) when it was a joint venture between the Dieppe Chamber of Commerce and a consortium comprising Newhaven/East Sussex councils and other stakeholders. Part of the agreement was that students, registered disabled people and over 60's enjoyed a 20% discount and this was carried forward by future operators; P&O Stena operated the Dieppe route until 1998, Transmanche Ferries were the operators in April 2001 together with (I believe) Hoverspeed. After five years of successful service the government decided to tender the line in a paid-for concession and LD Lines was awarded the contract in 2006, receiving an annual subsidy of up to €14.6 million. LD Lines commenced sailings in 2007. In August 2008 they announced that this service would not be continued when it was then taken over by Transmanche and now DFDS. Only the 'lead' person named as such on the booking has to be over 60 for everyone included on the ticket to benefit from this discount. DOBirth is checked at the check-in (as is the length of a vehicle - crudely) when the passport(s) is/are handed over. It's a closely guarded 'perk' which is not publicised.
I was also involved in the establishment and subsequent discontinuance (failure) of two attempts to run a high speed service from Brighton marina to Fecamp which proved impractical and undependable (exactly as I had advised them - being a commercial skipper) due to the hazardous harbour entrances and tidal restrictions in slightly/fairly bad weather.
O.K. you can go now but there'll be questions later.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
. Only the 'lead' person named as such on the booking has to be over 60 for everyone included on the ticket to benefit from this discount. DOBirth is checked at the check-in (as is the length of a vehicle - crudely) when the passport(s) is/are handed over.
I've always been asked if both of us are over 60! But I can see the logic as ferry prices are normally for vehicle and up to 5 people for the same price.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I've always been asked if both of us are over 60! But I can see the logic as ferry prices are normally for vehicle and up to 5 people for the same price.
Yes, Lenny, and I asked why 5 could go in a vehicle for the same price as one person and the simple answer was that they encourage more people per vehicle because the more people there are in a vehicle the more is spent in the shop, bars and restaurant.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes, Lenny, and I asked why 5 could go in a vehicle for the same price as one person and the simple answer was that they encourage more people per vehicle because the more people there are in a vehicle the more is spent in the shop, bars and restaurant.
Obviously don't know Funsters.:ROFLMAO:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Obviously don't know Funsters.:ROFLMAO:
How true, Lenny. The food's pretty grim and quite pricey for mediocre quality (well they've got you by the corner steadies haven't they?) I don't do 'shopping' and a coffee halfway to wash my Chunky KitKat down is about all I ever spend on board (4hrs).
BTW - ISTR that when I go by motorbike (just me) the fare is the same as or perhaps more than a car +5. I guess the extra is insurance against a sozzled Wrinkly Rocker and his mates smashing up the bar furniture, which is rather unfair as I haven't done that since I retired fifteen years ago.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back