Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Looking at my Orange phone bill yesterday:cry:, During our month jolly in France & Spain I made a few and also recieved quite a few calls, my bill was a whopping £270:Eeek:

Some calls from Spain were costing £1 a minute:swear:

Need to get a Spanish and a French Sim card for next years trips.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
7 years ago got £1100 phone bill from my 6 week trip to Russia with incoming calls charge @ £3 per minute:Doh::cry:

Gave up drinking vodka in Russia after this baby:Eeek:

Still never told Irina :secret::whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks guys my £34 charge for tinternet in France this year pales into insignificance, you've cheered me up no end:thumb:
Geo

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
I use OneRoam for my mobile all the time. But as Jim says, no good for internet.

When we were in France this summer, we enquired about mobile phone internet connection. Got all excited as the phone shop had a good deal on a phone + service for about €30 /month including internet.

Whipped out the Nationwide credit card to pay, and were told we had to have a French bank account to sign up for the annual contract.

So next day we made an appointment to open a French bank account.

We were subsequently told by the bank that French law requires a postal address in France (strictly speaking, French residency, but I guess an address would do). Evidently the address of the aire where we're parked for a few days would not suffice. . .

So we're working on how we do this. We could get an accommodation address, I suppose. Or meet some kind French motorhomiste on our travels who would let us use his address.

The trouble is, all our French bank account paperwork would go to that address, leaving us wide open to bank fraud from anyone who opens our letters.

Anyone know whether there is any angle under EU law whereby member country residents with a bona fide bank account in one country can get an equivalent account in another EU country?

Or maybe a bank like HSBC, which claims to be a 'world' bank, could give us a French account if we had a UK account with them?

This is an ongoing problem, both for cheap mobile calls and roamning internet connection. So if anyone has any ideas, I'd be very pleased to hear them.

Bruce

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Geo

I was still doing the auctions and knew a lot of the management and office staff as friends and they were ringing me all the time (Friends:Doh:) used to call em all son:roflmto:

They were calling me Sonski and thought it was so funny:Doh::whatthe:

Anyway outcome made it up to me in commission and entry fees:winky:so all was well in the end:winky:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Roaming

Hi

You can open a French bank account with a french bank and still be domiciled in the UK. I suggest you contact Credit Lyonnais or Societe Generale or similar via the via their London offices.

Roaming charges have, I believe fallen sharply for roaming with phone calls. Some operators are actually "free to receive" calls.

My own contract is with Three, and calls from Italy to the UK - or indeed from any country where there is a Three network (such as Ireland, Austria) to the UK are also free. Well not free, but charged at your normal tariff or the minutes are deducted from your bundles.

Russell

R

Ralph

Deleted User
Some calls from Spain were costing £1 a minute:swear:

Too late for you but I understand that they are now restricted on what they can charge. I think it's 38p per minute max but I'm happy to be corrected.

Quote below is from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

The EU has told mobile networks their customers must be able to call at a maximum price of 38p/min and receive calls for a max of 19p/min. Everyone should automatically have access to these cheaper prices unless you have opted for one of your providers other roaming packages. However, all but T-mobile users can also request free add-on packages which further lower the cost:

Vodafone, Passport, free on request, all customers. Doesn't operate everywhere but in countries it does, you pay a flat 75p connection fee plus your normal call charges eg if you've got free minutes for calling UK numbers they're included. Receiving calls also only costs 75p/call.

o2, My Europe, free on request, all customers. Ask for My Europe and you'll be charged 35p/min to make calls and 18p/min to receive them.

o2, My Europe Extra, £10/month. My Europe extra is free to receive calls and only 21p/min to make them. The subscription can be started any time during the month, but remember to cancel it when you return. If you're a heavy traveller, you can sign up now for a 12 month contract at £5/month.

Orange, Try It, all customers. If you've never used its roaming services before Orange will give you a free £5 credit (£3 on PAYG) worth of calls to make or receive while in Europe.

Three's standard EU roaming prices are the cheapest of all the networks', costing 25p/min to make calls and 10p/min to receive them, and you'll get them without asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We use Vodafone back in the UK and Movistar here in Spain. Never answer the UK phone here and never answer the Spanish phone in the UK. It's cheaper that way. :ROFLMAO:

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, John

Could you give me a little more information on Movistar only I have check "Google" but all the results are in Spanish

Thanks
Brian

:Cool: We use Vodafone back in the UK and Movistar here in Spain. Never answer the UK phone here and never answer the Spanish phone in the UK. It's cheaper that way. :ROFLMAO:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi, John

Could you give me a little more information on Movistar only I have check "Google" but all the results are in Spanish

Thanks
Brian

:Cool: Hi Brian. You can buy a Movistar Sim chip from just about any Phone place in Spain. Most Post offices and other shops stock top up vouchers. I have Quatro. Which means from 4am to 4pm it is something like 35c per minute and from 4pm to 4am plus weekends and holidays it is 12c a minute. There are other providers in Spain such as Amena, Vodafone etc. We just have Movistar because we have used them for the last 10 years. :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back