Free Member
Apr 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
20 years
I would like to hear the views/opinions about anyone who uses a Cobb Roasting BBQ. I'm thinking of purchasing one but would like some feed back from anyone who has already has one.

Thanks
Jack the Rev :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We have always used charcoal bbqs there is less weight to carry, no gas bottles to run out half way through and are easily folded away, they come in various sizes from small to large

Our small one we bought end of season last year from somerfields for 50p

Food tastes much better too .

Good luck with making a decision xxx

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
We have a Cobb BBQ which we bought 2 years ago but I must admit that we haven't used it to its full potential. We bought the griddle at the same time. We will have to use it a lot more now as we haven't an oven in this vn.

We did roast a full chicken in it and it was done to perfection without any problems at all. The 'Hairy Bikers' use them all the time and use them as you would an ordinary oven, baking bread and scones amonst other things. You are supposed to be able to cook anything in them that you would in an ordinary oven, so we shall see.

They have now brought out 'Cobble Stones' that you use instead of brickettes but I think they expensive. There is a substitute, I have been told, from one of the Pound shops but as we live in France we don't have them here. We have recently used BBQ charcoal and it worked fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We must have had about 20 full Sunday roasts on ours. Chicken, Pork Lamb and Beef, cooks well and doesn't burn, some wine in the tray and you will see it work its way into at least an inch inside the Beef or Pork as you carve. Never used it as a BBQ, bit small for us, but as an oven, and if you like a traditional Sunday lunch wherever you are, then its well worth every penny of its exorbitant price. :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
they are of course not gas Gail, don't have one but looking so if you have one taking up space, unloved etc let us know what you want for it. Cheers.:thumb::thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Cobbs are absolutely brilliant pieces of kit - compact, easy to use, cheap on fuel (uses approx 8 small charcoal briquettes for a whole meal) although are expensive to buy intially (imported from South Africa). Absolutely recommended, no hesitation - worth the outlay if you have it!

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Agree with everything said. Had my COBB for 12 months and learning every time. Expensive, but worth every penny (or should that be Pence).

chrissie

Free Member
Nov 13, 2008
Funster No
Had a Cobb for about 5 years, used to use it a lot. It's not really a BBQ but you can cook almost anything with it as said before you can cook a joint, bake bread, pizza, etc...... Outside stays cool so if the weather turns bad you can pick it up & take it indoors (handy for extra heating when it's a bit chilly. Downside you can't adjust the temperature once it's lit, if you use the heat beads you can quench them when you've finished & use again.
On our last 3 month trip we only used it twice, saw the Cadac Safari Chef & liked the idea of being able to control the heat, much cheaper than the Cobb to buy bought ours off the web for £65, this included a regulator & 3 metres of hose & delivered in 48 hours from Link Removed more convienent to use than the Cobb.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The Gadget Show on Five tested one and raved about it.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Have to agree with Chrissie, we have a Cobb but bought a Cadac safari chef also which is easier to control the heat and only takes a few mins to heat up.

As Jim says it does a pefick job on choocks and meat joints.

OP
OP
J

Jack the Rev

Free Member
Apr 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
20 years
Thanks

Thanks folks for all your posts re the Cobbe BBQ. Will have to mull it over before spending the money on it.

Jack the Rev

stuhaynes

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
I would like to hear the views/opinions about anyone who uses a Cobb Roasting BBQ. I'm thinking of purchasing one but would like some feed back from anyone who has already has one.

Thanks

The beauty of the Cobb is that it is not just a BBQ. Have you ever seen the Hairy Bikers (on TV) making bread on theres? They are mostly stainless steel and should last for years. I use ours on our boat as well where we can actually BBQ even if its raining. I've put a link below to articles I hope you'll enjoy. Through the links you can see videos of the Cobb in action. Brilliant piece of kit.

Link Removed and Link Removed

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
superb bit of kit, get one, the food tastes lovely

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We bought one 2 or 3 years ago and only used it a couple of times so it's been living in the garage. As we have spent most of the time with EHU we have a Ramoska and also an electric frying pan. However we are having a solar panel fitted when we get back from Spain and then we will be going to Germany and using Stellplatz sites where we will not bother with EHU. So we will try it out again and perhaps get on better with it.

Mike

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Have to agree with Chrissie, we have a Cobb but bought a Cadac safari chef also which is easier to control the heat and only takes a few mins to heat up.

As Jim says it does a pefick job on choocks and meat joints.

I agree with Diabalo
WE have a Cadac Safari gas BBQ ...and I was looking at buying a Cobb as the wife fancied one so I looked on You tube...(just type Cobb BBQ)....it must be American as they rant over them in the video (yes they are a Cobb advert)....but watch the videos nothing was quick although a lot of the film had cut to shorten the time, to cut along story short having watched many videos and looking at the food that they would serve, the finished item, and the time it takes before you start cooking, I was not impressed at all,..... and I will be sticking to the gas Cadac Safari...until something better comes along..........but like another reply I do like the charcoal briquettes' to cook on its better than gas its just the time it takes......nine times out of ten its started raining before you start cooking with the Cobb ...and Yes they say you can bring it in side but would you want to put a Cobb on your counter top as you cook the rest of your dinner and serve out or as the chefs say PLATE UP.....we always seem short of space in the kitchen .......no sorry not for me not that desperate.

Mel......:thumb:....one mans meat is another mans poison ?

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Use our's all the time. Cooked Crisstmas dinner on it in 2008. We buy the bread mixes from supermarkets and bake our own bread after using it to cook a meal.

We bought the complete outfit at a show, including lighter, thermometer and all , for £150 two years ago and it still as good as new.

Saves the OH from cooking inside during hot weather and getting all hot and bothered.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
i'm sure by now jacks made up his mind and bought something......otherwise he's been looking since last may...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

stupid boy, don't you know there is no time limit on boasting how good our cobbs are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Oyyy !!!!
dont you get a cobb on with me....:ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When in the motorhome we light the cobb outside and then in bad weather often bring it in to cook on. After cooking it then gives us heat in the van. We then sit and dream we are in America, where we first saw this idea rather than Britain where obviously such an act is dangerous ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Well every one seems to have nothing but good to say about the Cobb and agree with all that been said, however there are a few negative thing that should also be said, oh! and by the way I have been using one for about 4 years.

1/ They a fiddly and difficult to keep clean (as in like new)
2/ They take much longer to cook than an open BBQ
3/ A whole chicken often takes longer that the one load of briquettes.

But having said that I still like them.

Doug...

Sasha

Free Member
May 17, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
10 years
We had a look at the Cobb cookers at Shepton Mallet M/H show last September and were very impressed with them, the guy selling them told us they were going to bring out a LPG gas version of them so we thought we would wait until then.

We were amazed at the things the Hairy Bikers cooked in them especially the Cornish Pasties.

James

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
we never actually see ours as a BBQ. We see it more as the oven and the BBQ as the hobb

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would like to hear the views/opinions about anyone who uses a Cobb Roasting BBQ.

How about a view from someone who looked at the much praised Cobb at a show and said "that's a pretty wood burning Aga" why would I want that when we have a perfectly good oven ? All that storage space lost for what benefit ?

"The king's new clothes" !

So we stuck with our gas Cabac - all for the easy life. And it's very good too. You can't beat lamb chops cooked nice and crispy on a BBQ.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
How about a view from someone who looked at the much praised Cobb at a show and said "that's a pretty wood burning Aga" why would I want that when we have a perfectly good oven ? All that storage space lost for what benefit ?

"The king's new clothes" !

So we stuck with our gas Cabac - all for the easy life. And it's very good too. You can't beat lamb chops cooked nice and crispy on a BBQ.

thats why we bought one in the first place - we did not have an oven in our van

jelzz

Free Member
Jan 22, 2010
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
We bought one 2 or 3 years ago and only used it a couple of times so it's been living in the garage. As we have spent most of the time with EHU we have a Ramoska and also an electric frying pan. However we are having a solar panel fitted when we get back from Spain and then we will be going to Germany and using Stellplatz sites where we will not bother with EHU. So we will try it out again and perhaps get on better with it.

Mike
I too have a remoska thing :Cool:a marvellous invention !!!!!
Couldn't do with out mine
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back