Hi everybody newbie potential 5th wheel buyer! (1 Viewer)

pete2sorted

Free Member
Jul 5, 2016
Woolwich
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy 5th wheel
Exp
Hi, new to 5th wheels. Looking to buy soon, need to know what vehicle to pull with, and best size 5th wheel.

Confused with law, DVLA say I can pull up to 8.25kg combination, but seem clueless regarding subject matter?

Many thanks

Pete

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. there are questions to ask what categories have you on your licence .
when did you get it .
how many do you need to seat in the tow truck .
what plans have you got for parking etc

OP
OP
pete2sorted

pete2sorted

Free Member
Jul 5, 2016
Woolwich
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy 5th wheel
Exp
Morning all, thank you for the warm welcome.

The main categories on my licence are: (not relevant cat A) B1,B,C1,C,D1,BE,C1E, D1E

All obtained before 1997

The tow vehicle will be carrying 2 adults 1 child and 2 small dogs

And Parking will be secure storage, any recommendations appreciated!

Many thanks

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Pete

Welcome to FUN, I think when vwalan asked about parking he was also referring to what type of camping/parking you were going to do. The only thing I know about 5th wheelers is that you can get American ones and you can get ones made by the fifth wheel company in Wales. I could ask why a 5th wheel over a Motorhome or Caravan have you done motorhomes already.

Martin

OP
OP
pete2sorted

pete2sorted

Free Member
Jul 5, 2016
Woolwich
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy 5th wheel
Exp
Hi Martin

I've done caravan, so prefer the idea of having a vehicle that can be used once set up on camp site!

OP
OP
pete2sorted

pete2sorted

Free Member
Jul 5, 2016
Woolwich
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy 5th wheel
Exp
hi. there are questions to ask what categories have you on your licence .
when did you get it .
how many do you need to seat in the tow truck .
what plans have you got for parking etc

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We have a Fifth Wheel have a look round at a lot then decide what would suit your need we love ours

Last edited:
OP
OP
pete2sorted

pete2sorted

Free Member
Jul 5, 2016
Woolwich
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy 5th wheel
Exp
Hi Vwalan

I've got Cat: A,B1,B,C1,C,D1,BE,C1E,D1E

we are probably going to camp in Wales and south west coast areas!

Thanks

Pete

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi and welcome. I have a fifth wheel outfit for sale at the moment. A 2013 KZ Sportsman with full lounge slide, solar panels fitted and as new condition. Dodge Ram 2003 XLT tow truck with LPG conversion. Cheaper to run than any Japanese truck and on top of the job. £25000 for the complete outfit.
Dodge Ram 001.JPG
Fifth wheel 001.JPG
On the road again 003.JPG
On the road again 001.JPG

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. thats ok most fifth wheelers will be ok for you .
its just these days alot havnt got c1+e, or even b+e .
parking i meant at home or secure parking .
where you park when away i,m not bothered . i never use campsites .
have done , but only rarely.
there is alot of choice out there. i prefer flat fronted trucks as it makes cheaper ferries and easier turning . but many dont like them as its a bit too truckie .
my truck is a 7 seater .
have fun and might catch you on the road somewhere .
i advise new drivers to have a word with a local hgv school . a couple days with them you will learn things you never thought of before . most will do a few days and not that expensive .

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We also have had a look at the fifth wheel option the Yank ones are useually the larger ones most do not seem to have double glazing or winter insulation but are much cheaper than the ones built by the Fifth Wheel Company. There will be a good selection to look at the Malvern show. We are very impressed with the Celtic Rambeler 28ft with a slide out and maybe a Ford Ranger 3.2 but still at the talking stage at the moment.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
B+E exceeds C1E in this case.

C1E limits you to 7500kg plus a trailer of 750kg.
The combination can be juggled as you want.
ie: 6000kg tug plus a 2250kg trailer if the tugs train weight allows.

As your licence is pre 1997 the B+E category has no upper trailer limit, the only limitation is the tugs train weight.
As VWAlan will confirm, you could have a truck weighing 6500kg and a train of 10000kg then downplate the truck to 3500kg (the upper limit for a B licence) as you won't be carrying cargo but it still retains the 10000kg train limit so a trailer weighing 6500kg is legal.

American fifth wheels weigh a lot...could be twice the weight of a European caravan of similar size.
A lot of weight needs a lot of grunt to pull it.
American pickups every time in my opinion.

Last edited:

nudger66

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
greenfield
Funster No
MH
5th wheel slide out
Exp
since 2000
Hi, new to 5th wheels. Looking to buy soon, need to know what vehicle to pull with, and best size 5th wheel.

Confused with law, DVLA say I can pull up to 8.25kg combination, but seem clueless regarding subject matter?

Many thanks

Pete
HI pete yes you can pull 8.5 tonne combined on normal licence providing you had licence pre 1997 as per best 5th wheel what ever suits your requirements but id recommend calder leisure kountrylite as they are light and perfectly balanced. as per tow vehicle check tow rating and nothing less than 3.0L and manual always better. hope this helps:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
HI pete yes you can pull 8.5 tonne combined on normal licence providing you had licence pre 1997 as per best 5th wheel what ever suits your requirements but id recommend calder leisure kountrylite as they are light and perfectly balanced. as per tow vehicle check tow rating and nothing less than 3.0L and manual always better. hope this helps:)
hi, pappa john is correct . its even possible to lower a 7.5 ton truck to 3,500kg gvw and keep the train of 11ton.
there was a few years back an isuzu that could give 12 ton trainweight but few of them around .
flat fronted truck gives shorter length and better turning circle .
big bonnetted pickups are useless for uk and europe . ideal in the usa .
also be warned alot of usa pickups dont come with a train weight so cant pull anything in the uk and eu.
the 8250 kg trainweight is for c1+e , but vehicles under 3,500kg come under the b,,,or b+e if towing . so can have more than the c1+e.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If by 'the south west' you mean that to include Cornwall - there are always going to be roads down there and sites you can't access, with anything too huge. Ditto Wales. And both places tend to have a fair few stone or drystone walls in rural areas.

Just sayin .......

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

It doesn't look like Pete subscribed, or has contributed in the last year.

Ps. It's only 8.25 tonnes, not 8.5.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back