Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Good afternoon
Please could someone confirm my thoughts on the weights which are stamped on my sliver plate in engine bay. Please correct me if i am wrong.

3500kg (max weight of MH fully loaded + passenger and driver.
5500kg (train weight, allowed to tow 2000kg?)
1 - 1850 (front axle?)
2 - 2120 (rear axle?)

If i add the two axle weights together it comes in at 3970kg, 470kg over 3.5t.
Does this mean i have one of the crap MH designs that is over weight before i even get any kit in it?

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
According to my Peugeot Boxer handbook the top line is UNLADEN weight.(kerbweight). My Autosleeper handbook has a completely different set of figures to the plate but that's another story.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi Mark,
Not necessarily.

The max weight of 3500 kg is just that. Take you MH to a weighbridge and it's not allowed to weigh in more than that.

Your load may not be evenly distributed over the length of the vehicle (it usually isn't). The individual axle weights are the maximum weight permitted on that particular axle. So, just to use your figures for a minute - if your front axle weighed in at 1850 kg that's OK as long as your maximum weight was less than 3500 kg.

The other figure you need to know, and this should be in the MH handbook (not the base vehicle handbook) is the Mass in Running Order. This is weight of the vehicle when it was driven out of the converters factory, plus three quarters of a tank of fuel, plus engine fluids, plus (not sure that this one is always true) a full tank of fresh water, plus gas, plus the driver. The handbook should specify what the converter includes in the MIRO. Subtract this weight from your Max weight (3500 kgs) and you are left with payload. How you use your payload is up to you but it will include such items as fixed awning, bike rack, tools, barbeque, camping chairs and tables, ground sheet, drive-away awning, solar panel, generator, crockery, kitchen equipment, toiletries, clothing, food and beverages, Sat TV, bedding, chemicals and cleaning stuff, the dog and all its essentials, the kids and all their essentials, computer, oh! and the wife:Doh:. NB this list is not all encompassing and there may be items on there that are not applicable to you.

What guns do you have and what do you shoot?
I have an old .177 Gamo 'recoilless' springer which needs a bit of TLC. an Air Arms 100 NJR .177 (also needs a bit of work) in a custom stock with a Tasco Customshop scope, a Walther Dominator .177 with a Bushnell Elite scope and a BSA Ultra .22 with a Hawke Airmax SR6 scope.
The 100 and the Dominator are used for Field Target and the Ultra for LSR.

Anyway, hope the info has been of use.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
According to my Peugeot Boxer handbook the top line is UNLADEN weight.(kerbweight). My Autosleeper handbook has a completely different set of figures to the plate but that's another story.

VOSA have no interest in what the handbook states only whats stamped on the vin plate....the top line is always the gross weight followed by the train weight and then the two axle max weights...three if its a tag axle.:thumb:

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks jdee.
I only have the one air rifle now and it only gets used when we are away in the MH.
Its a Umarex 850 Airmagnum . Full powered Co2. Great for the woodies and get plenty of rabbits with it when out wild camping. It only comes out when we are on isolated spots or in the middle of no where were it will not cause offence to people. Nothing better than a plate of Rabbit, Pigeon and on a few rare occasions Phesent. Mrs hates me prepping it all and cant stand the stink.

So i need to find out the Mass in Running Order weight to determin my payload.
I Will have a look and see if i can find anything. Thankyou:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Pappajohn
Can you tell me why my 2 axle weights add upto more than the gross vehicle weight?

its to allow for uneven loading, usually in the original truck form but still applies to motorhomes.

if you load the rear axle to the plated limit then deduct that from the gross weight....the remainder is the allowance on the front axle.

ie: rear axle limit = 2200kg....front axle limit 1700kg...total 3900kg BUT the gross weight is 3500kg.

load the rear to max 2200kg then deduct this from the 3500kg gross = 1300kg....then the front axle cant weigh more than 1300kg.

2200kg rear + 1300kg front = 3500kg gross.

works with any variable inbetween the max axle limits, front or rear.

hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Cheers papajohn.

So i load up rear axle to the max permissable 2120kg which leaves me 1380kg for the front. This way i am on or under the 3.5t gross.

Now i would need to load up with everything in the MH as tho we are going away(including her) and pay a visit to the weighbridge.
Get Each axle weighed separatly and a total weight for whole thing?
Does this sound like the correct plan of action to take?

We are off to France and have read about the horror stories of been made to off load kit and travel to weigh stations and then pay for it and then get fined.
Seems a lot easier to stick a uk weigh bridge cert under their noes then get raped and bummed by them. Well depends if you into that sort of thing:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers papajohn.

So i load up rear axle to the max permissable 2120kg which leaves me 1380kg for the front. This way i am on or under the 3.5t gross.

Now i would need to load up with everything in the MH as tho we are going away(including her) and pay a visit to the weighbridge.
Get Each axle weighed separatly and a total weight for whole thing?
Does this sound like the correct plan of action to take?

We are off to France and have read about the horror stories of been made to off load kit and travel to weigh stations and then pay for it and then get fined.
Seems a lot easier to stick a uk weigh bridge cert under their noes then get raped and bummed by them. Well depends if you into that sort of thing:Blush:

thats about the long and short of it but i wouldnt recommend loading the axle to its limit.....difficult to judge the front weight then and it would make a big difference to the way the van 'sits' and handles on the road...tail heavy and headlamps pointing skywards.
just load as you normally would then go to the weighbridge....you really only need rear and total as you can work out the front from that but you may as well get the front as well so you have the full set to show the authorities.

they COULD still insist on you going to a weighbridge because, like the MOT, its only proof of weight at the time of weighing.....you could have added a lot more afterwards and then be overweight.
its unlikely but possible.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And pray you do not end up where I did !! :Angry:
A van almost empty without even my better half on board and 200kg heavy !!
The miller must have come out of the factory with a payload of about 800 grammes I reckon :RollEyes: !!

I would not worry about trying to work out your payload.. Great bit of info when you are looking at buying a van but not a lot of good once you own it..
Just load the old girl up ( nnoooooooo Not HER !! The van !! ) and trundle off to the weigh bridge..

rickscott

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Ellon, Aberdeenland
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
2, previous 12 caravanning
Would agree with papajohn, if you put fuel in it after you have it on the weighbridge, then your cert it worthless.

It is only a record of what the vehicle weighed at the date and time on the printout.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back