Up rating done....now for the V5 (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I have had our Burstner uprated by J R Consultancy to 3850 from 3500kg. I have the new VIN plate and design weigh certificate along with a letter stating that it has been done by a"Suitably Qualified Person". If I send the V5 away for updating it wont be back in time for our trip to Germany in a couple of weeks time. I could apply for a Temporary Registration document but this does not show any weights (I had one last year when I had lost the original V5). I'm thinking that I should keep the current V5 for the trip and produce the accompanying paperwork as proof of new weight and send off the V5 on our return. Do you think this is the better option especially as I will have to send off the new design weight certificate as well?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ours was back in ten days, good luck.(y)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I have had our Burstner uprated by J R Consultancy to 3850 from 3500kg. I have the new VIN plate and design weigh certificate along with a letter stating that it has been done by a"Suitably Qualified Person". If I send the V5 away for updating it wont be back in time for our trip to Germany in a couple of weeks time. I could apply for a Temporary Registration document but this does not show any weights (I had one last year when I had lost the original V5). I'm thinking that I should keep the current V5 for the trip and produce the accompanying paperwork as proof of new weight and send off the V5 on our return. Do you think this is the better option especially as I will have to send off the new design weight certificate as well?
I'm not sure if the new weight is legal until it is recorded and official on the new V5. What if DVLA decline the uprate until they see further evidence/proof of the uprate having been done properly.

I'm in a very similar position with my own uprate, but without the pressure of an imminent trip away.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Mine still is not back yet. Spoke to them and they promised it ASAP so December will be OK with them. I cannot understand why as Hymer make the option of 4200kg do they bother about the 3880 kg option just go for the higher one the cost is the same with 3500 as the lightest one for licence worries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That is what I would do.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Mine still is not back yet. Spoke to them and they promised it ASAP so December will be OK with them.

I think they only process it when you send in the end of life scrappage certificate for your vehicle :D

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
When I had the van weighed recently it was 60kg over the 3500kg. However the time before that with similar (withing a few 10's of kilos) loading it came in at 60kg under. Different weighbridges. There is no way I can account for the difference of 120kg. 30 or 40 perhaps but not 120. So which do you believe? I'm happy to accept that I'm a bit marginal so went with the up rate to be sure. Maybe for this next trip I'll trim down the weight a bit and hope I'm under then deal with the V5 after we get back. I've been travelling with the 3500kg limit for 18 months so a few extra weeks shouldn't be too much hardship.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I think in the UK any official would understand that you are in the process of uprating your weights and it would be very harsh of them to proceed against you if found to be over what your V5 states, but under what your new plate and certificate state.
I think it wise not to risk that conversation in Germany, or any other country.

At the moment you are in the same position as me, you have paid Mr Ruffles ÂŁ150 to state that your vehicle is capable of having its weight/s increased as per the letter, certificate and weight plate he has provided, but if either of us decide not to submit the request to DVLA, our vehicles will only be legal at their current limits.
We are in possession of documentation which shows that they are safe at higher weights, but until we complete the process with DVLA, we won't be legal at those higher weights.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Until the new weight is accepted by the DVLA and their system updated you are only legally allowed to run at the existing weight, ie 3500kg, it is highly unlikely you will be stopped and checked but better to be safe and ensure you're under 3500kg for your next trip if you can.

I wouldn't risk sending the V5C off now as you might need it, what you could do though is send in a photocopy of it along with a covering letter explaining your situation, and COPIES of the documents from John Ruffles ... do NOT under any circumstances send the originals ... the DVLA will accept copies anyway as they can easily contact John to confirm they are legit).

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
What sort of time scales are we looking at to get the V5 back?
I sent mine off over 4 weeks ago, still waiting.:rolleyes:
I think it depends on the luck of the draw. Reading through some older threads, the time scales range from 18 days to 2 months or more.

I posted mine off on 24/05 and I've checked the DVLA website for the past week, but I think I'm being over optimistic at the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back