Camping "NoProblem" Crete (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We'd love to drive Pug down to Southern Crete , but alas we've not yet got the time. We can only manage 3 weeks tops, and not wishing our life's away to retirement . It will come , as it does to everyone .

Aghia Galini was a tiny fishing village back in the day . We've visited numerous occasions , having got married there 23 years ago . Its got bigger since the old days , but not grown in all the years we've visited .
One road in , down to the Harbour and the same road out back up.
You can camp in the Harbour we've seen many a pvc down there . But not an RV , Aclass etc.
www.agiagalini.com

It has a great little campsite with all the facilities and a great taverna that does fab food.
IMG_4635.JPG

It's called Camping Noproblem
We like to sit around by the pool and relax there , having lunch almost daily in the taverna when we visit on holiday . It's quiet , clean, and peaceful .
Here are a few photos of the campsite for anyone interested in traveling down to Southern Crete for a visit .
IMG_4638.JPG

Toilet and shower block
IMG_4809.JPG
IMG_4810.JPG
We'd thoroughly recommend the place .
IMG_4640.JPG
Theres a washing up room with a huge communal fridge to the right and commercial freezer to the left .
IMG_4811.JPG
Elsan area
IMG_4814.JPG
entrance into site. Tents caravans and camping cars welcome .
IMG_4733.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG
Plenty shady spots .
IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4641.JPG
spotless pool .
IMG_4675.JPG

Some food eaten in the taverna which is very reasonably priced and cooked to order .
IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_4630.JPG
A huge platter of lamb ( big leg ) and traditional Greek food . We were going to get one each but we're told it was big ! It sure was .
IMG_4808.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks for that. It's listed in CamperContact #49627 but is one of only three sites they do list on the island with no aires listed at all. ACSI don't list anything for Crete.
I suspect wild camping is the main option but in our PVC I think we'd need to carry a second cassette otherwise we'd be looking for somewhere to dump too often.
We've had several holidays there (flying) and like Crete very much but we haven't been to mainland Greece yet and that is more doable in a MH. :)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We'd love to go to the campsite with our pvc Pug. Every time we come we say the same thing , even when we had our big family van. It's such a lovely place , Aghia Galini . Lots of tavernas and good eating places . No nightclubs , well there's a disco bar that's not open til july. Very few Brits cos they don't do package tours here. So mostly Dutch German . It gets busy as the evening goes on as at most places .
We've seen French and Albanian camping cars . It's so relaxing. No traffic up and down the streets all pedestrianised cobbles and stone.
IMG_4683.JPG
IMG_4685.JPG
IMG_4719.JPG
IMG_4720.JPG
IMG_4725.JPG
IMG_4734.JPG
IMG_4735.JPG

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Had a look on the map, that's a fair old trek down to where you are.
Looks lovely though, do they do a ferry from Italy across?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I'm told they do . But not sure . It's something we'd like to do once we have more time . It's around 2.5k from where we live. Satnav takes you through Albania .

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Yes that's right . DBK.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@The Dude was here at the campsite last week and is still in Crete . So will know the best route to take from Britain by Motorhome .
I'm guessing by the avatar they are regulars to Crete .

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
@The Dude was here at the campsite last week and is still in Crete . So will know the best route to take from Britain by Motorhome .
I'm guessing by the avatar they are regulars to Crete .
Yes, we've done it many times by car and in the motorhome. We have flown here for the last few times as we don't have the dogs anymore. We used to live in Crete and still spend 2 x 2 months each year here. You can either get a ferry from Italy to Piraeus, then drive to Patras and get another ferry to Crete, or alternatively drive via Slovenia, Montenegro, Croatia and Albania and then get the ferry from mainland Greece to Crete.I have a spreadsheet showing our route/costs of the journey we did in 2014 via Albania. If anyone wants a copy then send me a PM with your email address.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, we've done it many times by car and in the motorhome. We have flown here for the last few times as we don't have the dogs anymore. We used to live in Crete and still spend 2 x 2 months each year here. You can either get a ferry from Italy to Piraeus, then drive to Patras and get another ferry to Crete, or alternatively drive via Slovenia, Montenegro, Croatia and Albania and then get the ferry from mainland Greece to Crete.I have a spreadsheet showing our route/costs of the journey we did in 2014 via Albania. If anyone wants a copy then send me a PM with your email address.

Dude

Think you got our 'P' ports mixed up

Should be Italy to Patras, drive to Piraeus.

Just to not confuse anyone.

Geoff

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The main ferry to Crete is from near Athens I think. The port is called Piraeus.

Piraeus is like Heathrow for Ferries, (imagine Cross Channel ferry size and some even bigger)

Between 7am and 8.30am every day, there's this mass exodus out of the port to go to all the islands in the Aegean and beyond. In the evening there's a smaller Armada??? leaving to to go overnight to the islands further away, think Crete and Rhodes.
Piraeus is now a little suburban brother to Athens and the Metro underground/overground links the two.

Couldn't get SWMBO to go in the 'van (YET!!!) so we're off rollerbagging the Aegean next Spring. (Rollerbagging is the same as backpacking but for wrinklies)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the info Bev, added to our list of possibles for next year.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well there's always been a campsite at Plakias, which is roughly smack opposite Rethymnon - but we've not been camping there. They used to take 52 seat coaches from the airport to there though and the road hasn't changed, still goes along one side of the Kontokali gorge which is spectacular. Used to get shedloads of twitchers going there in early spring, eagles and Hoopoh (sp ?) and all sorts apparently. Don't think hardly anyone does packages there now, hence last few times we went, it was by minibus or a taxi.

Only thing is from memory the camping has a stone archway as the entrance which could be a prob - there was no reason to walk or drive down the little road which went past it unless you were going there specifically or to the nightclub which used to be there - very appropriately called Meltemi. Oh - and the Youth Hostel was along that road somewhere too. Plakias takes the full force of the Meltemi, in August - 40 degrees and you're constantly sandblasted, more or less all along that south coast - so do NOT go there in August.

Anyway - they were building something all along the beach road in front of there on the open ground between the two roads - I have no idea whether the fantastic naturist beach up that end is still operational in view of the building work, as we called it a day before they were finished.

Would be interesting to see what's what now, but might ruin our memories .........

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The main ferry to Crete is from near Athens I think. The port is called Piraeus.
Its about 23 hours overnight,,or was in 2001,,BUSBY,,

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back