hitch costs (3 Viewers)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'm sure someone must know the current cost of having a 5th wheel hitch supplied and fitted plus the brake controller and associated wiring to a uk pickup ?????

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Yep I had one fitted last March.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'll bet there is someone out there who knows how much fuel it takes to get to the moon and back.

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
i'm sure someone must know the current cost of having a 5th wheel hitch supplied and fitted plus the brake controller and associated wiring to a uk pickup ?????

Hi John I think when I did my Transit ( at Messingham fishing last year) the Tekonsha brake unit was about £120.00 & the rails for the 5th wheel where about £ 100.00,I fitted them myself (with help from our works mechanic) I already had the 5th wheel fitted to my L200 & this was a second vehicle so I could move the 5th wheel from one to other.When I bought the 5ver from Niche the original 5th wheel & wiring was fitted in with the purchase price.If you ring Greg @ Niche in Lincolnshire 01507327172 I am sure he will give you a price or sell you the parts to fit yourself.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John I think when I did my Transit ( at Messingham fishing last year) the Tekonsha brake unit was about £120.00 & the rails for the 5th wheel where about £ 100.00,I fitted them myself (with help from our works mechanic) I already had the 5th wheel fitted to my L200 & this was a second vehicle so I could move the 5th wheel from one to other.When I bought the 5ver from Niche the original 5th wheel & wiring was fitted in with the purchase price.If you ring Greg @ Niche in Lincolnshire 01507327172 I am sure he will give you a price or sell you the parts to fit yourself.

thanks for that tink.

been looking on the niche marketing site but theres no mention of the hitch fitting.

if the men with scarred faces and jack handles (bailiffs)come for our van then i'v been thinking about a 5er.(when shirls property sells)

only a litt'un 'cos the hilux has less horses than the grand national but at least theres no running costs...tax, mot etc and i would expect around 20 to 25mpg...about the same as the kontiki.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi John
You could also try Paul at Cross Country RV-----in Mildenhall
For a complete brake and hitch setup fitted he quoted us £1400, thats a digital brake controller. He will supply only, they are not hard to fit----I fitted the setup that we have now.
Nigel & Pamala

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Paul at Cross Country fitted my Hitch plate. I did not need a brake controller as it is integrated in the truck, IIRC the cost was about £900 I think.

HTH

Rob

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
toll free Brian but you need a VERY large fuel tank.
and, in this instance, a straight line is the shortest.
sorry John but because escaping the earths atmosphere is dependant on the slingshot effect it is far from a straight line, hee hee.

joking aside John are you thinking of going the 5th wheel route yourself or helping someone else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry John but because escaping the earths atmosphere is dependant on the slingshot effect it is far from a straight line, hee hee.

joking aside John are you thinking of going the 5th wheel route yourself or helping someone else.

thinking about it for me roger.

not enough work/wages to meet the payments on the van at the moment but we all know finance houses dont care about things like that, all they want is paying regardless, so it might get repo'd soon.

looking at every avenue to prevent it but its not looking good.

a used 5er will be affordable when shirls property sells and no ongoing costs once bought...road tax, MOT etc, just insurance to worry about.

already got the pickup and wont need the toad so theres a saving.

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
thinking about it for me roger.

not enough work/wages to meet the payments on the van at the moment but we all know finance houses dont care about things like that, all they want is paying regardless, so it might get repo'd soon.

looking at every avenue to prevent it but its not looking good.

a used 5er will be affordable when shirls property sells and no ongoing costs once bought...road tax, MOT etc, just insurance to worry about.

already got the pickup and wont need the toad so theres a saving.

Very sorry to here that mate, I have just helped a mate of mine who was going through a similar thing, Not a MH but a car.

He was financed to Black Horse, I suggested he ring them and explain situation ie that he couldn't afford payments, and suggested he ask if it could be changed to a longer finance agreement, He did as I suggested and they phoned him back next day and did just that, it was originally over 3 years and they asked him what he could afford and they changed it a 5 year agreement and if and when his finances change he can change it back.

It's worth a try.

:thumb:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Having spent all my working life in Finance houses I would urge you to talk with them. They are human beings after all and all they want is to do their job.
It is quite simple really................... acts like a decision tree.

1. Do we (the finance house that is) have a legally binding agreement?

Is the customer a "can pay but won't" or a "can't pay but wants to"

scenario a) Litigate and recover
scenario b) Assist via re-scheduling, suspend interest, re-write loan, etc etc.

Talk to them is my suggestion.

HTH

Rob

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We are with Black horse for our MH and have had a caravan years ago with them and have found them very amenable when we have been in a tight spot.

Over Christmas we struggled, and the DD was returned, I phoned Black horse and they agreed for us to pay it weekly for a few weeks. We are now bacck on track.

When we were tuggers years ago, I lost my Job, Black horse were very understanding and patient.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Very sorry to here that mate, I have just helped a mate of mine who was going through a similar thing, Not a MH but a car.

He was financed to Black Horse, I suggested he ring them and explain situation ie that he couldn't afford payments, and suggested he ask if it could be changed to a longer finance agreement, He did as I suggested and they phoned him back next day and did just that, it was originally over 3 years and they asked him what he could afford and they changed it a 5 year agreement and if and when his finances change he can change it back.

It's worth a try.

:thumb:

Having spent all my working life in Finance houses I would urge you to talk with them. They are human beings after all and all they want is to do their job.
It is quite simple really................... acts like a decision tree.

1. Do we (the finance house that is) have a legally binding agreement?

Is the customer a "can pay but won't" or a "can't pay but wants to"

scenario a) Litigate and recover
scenario b) Assist via re-scheduling, suspend interest, re-write loan, etc etc.

Talk to them is my suggestion.

HTH

Rob

thanks for the help guys,
as this is a short term problem i'm reluctant to involve them until i really have to but i do realise the sooner i do, the better.
the loan term is 10 years and the reason i didnt take insurance was i intended to repay within a few months when my flat sold.
once i had the funds i asked for a settlement but in my naivity or stupidity i didnt realise the total amount that was owing, i'v only had HP once before and didnt understand the repayment terms, and couldnt cover it for a full repayment.

the finance house (paragon finance) wouldnt accept a £30k lump sum part payment and subsiquently the money has been spent on other things.

Last edited:

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Sorry to hear that, I hope you come out of it Ok and don't lose anything whichever way it turns out, Just in case it does go to the worst I can tell you that Calder charge 1250 complete with Air suspension.

But I sincerely hope you dont need it.
:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back