Gas Filler Point Advice required (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I've just bought a Gaslow bottle and have arranged for a firm to drill the 'van for the filler point. (SWMBO won't allow me to do this)

They are happy for me to obtain the necessary parts.
Question; Our Gas locker is at a comfortable height on the nearside. There is sufficient room above the door and slightly to one side to fit the filler point to give direct entry into the locker. (It would be about a metre from the ground)
Can anyone see any problem with such an installation. I ask because many installations I see are at or near ground level on the skirt, or is that because the bottle locker is down there.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Mine was installed very low down because although we might have squeezed it in above and to right of the gaslocker door, the room inside for the connectors and not very flexible piping was the problem. Added to that RMB's don't have much if anything of a skirt, its all sealed double bottom. But Autogas guys at Carlton Miniot did a good neat job.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Have a look at these instructions from Gaslow - Link Removed. They recommend installing the filler point low down so that any escape of gas is vented away safely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As it is into the gas locker there is no problem with fitting your filler point where you suggest, I did one like that yesterday on a new Hobby.

D.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The fill point and connection hose stick out a fair way behind the bodywork and the skirt area provides a good gap behind for this. Also consider that the refill gun is quite heavy and needs a fairly firm surface that maybe the skin of the coach body may not provide.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our gas locker is a fair bit wider than the door as well. When we had Alugas fitted by @dave newell lvs he suggested that the obvious place for the filler point was in the wall to the side of the door and direct into the locker (which happened to be what I had thought as well). The wall provides a solid fixing point and the filler is at a convenient height for using the gas gun without bending or stretching. There are no problems with venting any gas escapes because the locker has its existing drop out vents.

EDIT - Dave posted whilst I was typing :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I prefer to fit the filler in the skirt, I do not like fillers through the van wall, the fillers are quite heavy to use and I've seen a couple of damaged vans due to this.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In our old van, the skirt was made of very thin fibreglass, so I fitted the filler in the wall next to the gas locker.
In our new van the skirt is made of aluminium, so is sturdy enought to take the weight of the filler and the hose (when filling).

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Lower also means there is less weight on the fill point
Here the hose is supporting itself
image.jpeg

evira

Free Member
Oct 22, 2015
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
since 2002
my gaslow filler is about the 1M height straight into the locker, it makes for a solid mounting with it in the wall and is easy to connect and fill up.
My locker door is in the garage so it made sense to me to go in at the height of the bottle tops and use a shorter fill hose. going through the skirt involved a hole in the floor and the skirt wasn't strong enough to mount anything.
Long term plan was to buy a water fill point that matched the oem one and convert that to an lpg point, but it's well down my list of things to do.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Camping Gaza ... are you bored? This thread is from July 2016 ... :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl... Incredibly so, you would not believe! But I actually posted the reply over a year ago...it's just shown up now because I have amazingly slow internet.... Honest.
Nah ... you replied to the other gas thread and then this one popped up at the bottom (as they do) and you just replied to it without realising it was an old one ... :D

Minxy Girl ... aka Miss Marple! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back