Bailey Approach accommodation door inner trim removal (1 Viewer)

Cyrilcrow

Free Member
Jul 8, 2016
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach se745
Exp
20 years
My motorhome is 3 years old and recently the central electric locking for the above door has stopped working although the front cab doors still lock. Does anyone know how to remove the internal door trim?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I realise this post is, like me, getting on. But I have the same problem so has anyone have an "easy" explanation that a non-techie like me could follow, please?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
First of all it will break if not very very careful .Befor doing any of that at the bottom of your door there is usually a flexi rubber tube on the hinge side taking the wires to the door .Chances are one of these wires have broken with opening and shutting door .Pull the flexi back as far as you can to expose wires and check each one .Chances are the outer will be intact with wire inside broken .If it stretches it's just a reconnect situation.On my Rapid I found the wire quite stiff and after the second time I cut it back and joined a more flexible wire the Length of the flexi rubber cover . Enjoy lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@treetops1- thank you for this. Just so I know, if the wires, when exposed, don't appear to be broken, how do I know whether a wire is broken, inside the cable, so to speak?
When I look at my door, there is a bundle of wires passing between the van and the door, that has been taped. The tape is coming off but the wires seem intact. I understand it is the white and the green cable that concern the locking solenoid. Is this correct?
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Not sure about the colours but if you take an inch at a time and stretch the wire if there is a break it will stretch , I may be wrong but I really do think it is your problem The fact the wires have being taped also tells me that probably the problem .If you take a bit at a time and the plastic outer stretches that's were your break is .Ps it is not a problem to post we have all being there and in a few years you will be throwing possible answers out there yourself lol. I would check all the wires .There is other ways try that first .Enjoy lol

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
On our Hartal door it was the green and white wires that operated the solenoid, if you can expose the individual wires at the base of the door do a continuity test on both wires as far apart as possible, use a couple of pins to pierce the insulation and get to the conductor, if one is open circuit you may be able to repair it in situ if not you may have to run a replacement. Put up a picture of the inside of you door and I may be able to advise how to remove the access panel.
Cheers
Ed

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
you can expose the individual wires at the base of the door do a continuity test on both wires as far apart as possible, use a couple of pins to pierce the insulation and get to the conducto

Using a multimeter for the continuity I presume, but a little unclear what you mean by as far apart as possible.
Another "daft" question, I presume you don't doe this when on hook up? Or does it not matter so far as the voltage is concerned? Sorry if my questions show my ignorance! This is a learning process for me.
Many thanks.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Your system to the door runs on 12v .Your hook up charges your leasure batteries and gives you a mains supply to any mains sockets in the van . What sheddy said was my next suggestion.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
yes use your multimeter, as you are trying to find a break in the solenoid supply wires, the break is likely to be where the wires enter the door panel (as it was on my old Bessacarr) by testing as far apart as possible I meant over the greatest length of wire that you can access without taking the door panel off. No need for hookup as the locking system is 12v.(as mentioned above)
Cheers
Ed

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you both for the clear advice. I'm currently in Greece, exploring the Peleponnese. As soon as we get back to France where I left my multimeter and other tools, I'll have a go and report back.
Thanks again.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
IMG_0173.JPG Right, back in France and have checked the continuity of all the wires coming out of the door and into the frame of the Hartal door. There were no breaks over the range of wires that are accessible without removing the door trim. This was a bit disappointing, as I felt sure at least one of the wires may have broken within the cover. The colours by the way are green and white for the solenoid and red, brown and blue for the others.
The next step I suppose is to take off the door trim but SWMBO is against me doing it in case I worsen the problem (great to have such confidence in my skills) so will probably live with the problem until back in the UK when we will pay an auto electrician to do it. For info, I attach a photo of the door.
Thanks anyway for the advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back