Camos Flat + in Spain anybody?????? (2 Viewers)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

I have just had an email from Keith (Snowbirds). He is in Santa Suzanna at the moment (north of Barcelona) and he has the Camos Flat dish (not +). He can't get a good enough signal to pull in the English stations.

Has anyone used their Camos Flat + north of Barcelona and managed to get a signal good enough for Sky and all the terrestrial channels?

We dont want to pay to have the + fitted and then find that it wont work in Santa Suzanna where we spend 5 months of the year. At the moment we are carrying a large dish and stand as well as the suitcase dish which we use on our way down to Spain, which is a real pain.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Ginny and Mike

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
We have the Camos Plus, we find it works great all the way down through France until we hit the Med, then we lose several channels, including BBC 1, 2, ITV, 4 and 5. I think you will struggle with it in Spain. We use our 65mm dish on a tripod when further South.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
There is a thread somewhere from Road Pro who managed to get all stations as far south as Sitges using the skew on the Plus. It might be pushing it though for the unskilled. One option might be the Maxview semi tronic which has an 80cms dish.

My suggestion would be to e mail Road Pro.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Camos 40cm Dome 145

Hi,:thumb:
We are presently at Camping Roquetas in Almeria. A long way south from Barcelona. We are on Astra 2 South as shown on the Camos controller. We have a Pace 12 volt Sky box which we have set to 12.441GHz. At the moment we can receive Five USA, Five USA Plus One, Fiver, Film 24, True Movies (weather permitting) and BBC News 24. (On the first four programmes and BBC News we still get a picture even in the thunderstorms!). When we camp at Peniscola (2 hrs from Barcelona) we can pick up BBC1 and ITV as well providing we manage a clear line of sight.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
You must remember that UK TV and Sky comes from 4 satellites, and the one thta carried BBC and ITVs are Asra 2d and is a very narrow beam spotted on the UK. Therefore in Spain reception is tricky, especially between Valencia and CDSol. 80cm should just about pick up BBC and ITV in Barcelona, but will get trikier the farther south yougo (although on the CDS the signal gets stronger).

Fives and BBC Nes etc are ona much stronger signal and thats why thy are available easier than Astra 2d channels.
If you use a sky card, you can get ITV and C4 by adding them to your other channels list by scanning 12402 and 12480.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have the Camos Plus, we find it works great all the way down through France until we hit the Med, then we lose several channels, including BBC 1, 2, ITV, 4 and 5. I think you will struggle with it in Spain. We use our 65mm dish on a tripod when further South.

Hi, so what does the skew? do, on the plus? I understood the advantage of the plus was that it was bigger and having this skew - whatever that is - enabled you to have a much better reception than the ordinary Camos Flat dish.

Have you adjusted this on your dish?

Ginny

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I haven't got a Camos flat sat but was thinkiing of buying one for my new van. I think you can tilt the dish sideways from the back by unscrewing two buttrfly screws which enables you to get better reception at the edge of satellite coverage. You have to tilt the dish to either the 7 o clock or 5 o clock position for maximum effect in say Spain. The footprint for the Camos Plus flat sat is here:

Link Removed

Coverage in Spain on Astra 2d is very marginal if you want BBC.

You will see that the more expensive automatic dishes have a skew option so in this respect the Camos plus in unique for a crankup. How it compares to the Maxview is anybody's guess.

I have previously used a Maxview crankup which is excellent but I am still undecided what to get next as I definitely want reception in Spain like the original poster. I might even go for an automatic 85cms dish for this reason and even then coverage will be very patchy.

Last edited:

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Yes, the Camos Plus has a skew adjustment, as the previous post mentions, just two butterfly bolts. If you have easy access to the roof of your mh adjustment is easy. Even in our local area Lancs/Yorks a skew setting has to be made. The Camos comes with a booklet that identifies the skew settings for cities throughout Europe. Even with the skew setting made I still couldn't get all programs in the South of France. The great benefit of the Camos is you can have it up in the strongest of winds without losing signal, unlike some of the standard round/oval dishes, but I really wouldn't have bought one to spend extended breaks in Spain.
Dave

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, the Camos Plus has a skew adjustment, as the previous post mentions, just two butterfly bolts. If you have easy access to the roof of your mh adjustment is easy. Even in our local area Lancs/Yorks a skew setting has to be made. The Camos comes with a booklet that identifies the skew settings for cities throughout Europe. Even with the skew setting made I still couldn't get all programs in the South of France. The great benefit of the Camos is you can have it up in the strongest of winds without losing signal, unlike some of the standard round/oval dishes, but I really wouldn't have bought one to spend extended breaks in Spain.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I think for the first time you have hit the nail on the head and answered our question!.

We tour through France and use our little satellite in a suitcase system which is fine. We then use the large dish and tripod in Santa Suzanna, it seems we will have to continue carrying the dish if we want to use our Sky+ and getting all the channels we have at home.

Thanks again for your advice.

Ginny and Mike

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You must remember that UK TV and Sky comes from 4 satellites, and the one thta carried BBC and ITVs are Asra 2d and is a very narrow beam spotted on the UK. Therefore in Spain reception is tricky, especially between Valencia and CDSol. 80cm should just about pick up BBC and ITV in Barcelona, but will get trikier the farther south yougo (although on the CDS the signal gets stronger).

Fives and BBC Nes etc are ona much stronger signal and thats why thy are available easier than Astra 2d channels.
If you use a sky card, you can get ITV and C4 by adding them to your other channels list by scanning 12402 and 12480.

Well, we are undecided again! We have just received another email from Keith. He has followed Satandpcguy's instructions and now has all the channels except BBC1! He is over the moon because Jean loves Corrie etc.

My question is how much better is the Plus than the standard Camos Flat dish. I understood that it was bigger, so does that mean it is better???

Ginny

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Planer Plus

My understanding is that they are the same size, but the Plus has the advantage of the skew adjustment.

We are at Gandia, and with our Plus at 22degrees, are recieving BBC World and Sky News Int. all as confirmed by "satandpcguy"

Last year we had a larger selection of UK programmes with our Maxview trypod kit!!!

Most of the static dishes here are 1 metre, and it would seem that is the sure way to go.

Hope this helps.

Nomadic

Last edited:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The flat sat is 40cms and the flat sat plus is 56.5cms. Size is normally everything and the ability to skew is a big big bonus.

My own view is that you will be very much on the margins and coverage will be hit or miss depending on atmospheric conditions and the time of the day as the signal gets weaker in the evening.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
My understanding is that they are the same size, but the Plus has the advantage of the skew adjustment.

We are at Gandia, and with our Plus at 22degrees, are recieving BBC World and Sky News Int. all as confirmed by "satandpcguy"

Last year we had a larger selection of UK programmes with our Maxview trypod kit!!!

Most of the static dishes here are 1 metre, and it would seem that is the sure way to go.

Hope this helps.

Nomadic

BBC World and Sky News Intl are not on the main UK tv satellite....
they are on Astra 1 - located at 19 east...and easily picked up around most of europe.
They are on a completely different satellite "constellation" to the UK TV which are on Astra 2 and Eurobird 1 at 28.2 to 28.5 east.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I've just revisited this thread. Is there any further evidence of the ability or otherwise of the Camos Flat Sat Plus to get Astra 2D around Barcelona.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back