Average speed cams do they really work? (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I would be interested to know if anyone on here has ever had an “Average Speed Camera” fine. I was travailing under the Hatfield tunnel today through the 40mph restriction. A car came past me as if I was standing still and continued over the arisen.
[FONT=&quot]I have never heard of anyone being clocked by ASCs, have you?[/FONT]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
never had a ticket from one and cant give a definative answer as to if they work but as nearly everyone else is doing the posted speed whats the point in trying to get to the front of the line.
you may pass a few cars but you will get to a line of complying cars anyway with no way to pass.

there will always be someone who ignores it.

i was in a contraflow on the southbound M1.....left lane for south, center lane as divider and right lane for northbound.
posted 50mph and a rolls royce doing about 80mph in the center divider going south.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you join in one lane and leave by another they apparently can't clock you.But I wouldn't try it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I would be interested to know if anyone on here has ever had an “Average Speed Camera” fine.
Considering the cost......never fancied finding out!

Being caught out by a normal 'mobile' cam is bad enough.....£60 plus three penalty points. Having those points on your licence for three years I think is a tad excessive given far more serious offences being committed. That said, most insurance companies don't penalise for SP30's.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I tend to do the limit plus a bit especially if they are long roadworks, but there is always somebody faster I have heard that if you change lanes it cannot detect you but like another poster I would not push my luck.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:I use the 10% margin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could always exit the restriction sandwiched between two HGVs...if the camera cant see the van it cant read the plate...:thumb:

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I'm not sure about changing lanes, as there are normally two cameras, one covering each lane !

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I know some who got caught at night by them on the M25.

Yes they do work.

dpick

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
Middlesbrough
Funster No
Hi if HGV drivers are watching the speed limit in a limited speed area then there are working cameras.

dpick

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
definative answer......yes they do work...

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm

Quote from the manufactures of SPECS system. "The SPECS system is so efficient and user friendly that Manchester CTO processed 2,500 offences in 6 man-hours".

By my working out if they all got tickets thats £150000 not a bad days work. Where does all the money go? :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
That`s £25000 an hour, not bad, anybody here on that sort of wage?:roflmto::roflmto:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
By my working out if they all got tickets thats £150000 not a bad days work. Where does all the money go? :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Well they don't appear to be using it to repair the potholes in the roads :Eeek: :Angry:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I went through some the other day on the M1 when it was quiet and I was at least a couple of miles in and wasnt really concentrating when I realised I was doing 70+. I reduced speed and remembered to exit on a different lane. Will see what happens? Probably nothing I imagine.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So the technology works but how do you set up and commission temporary road works cams. Do you set them up electronically or measure the varying distances between each camera. This measurement would have to be pretty accurate if you are measuring a couple of mph. Some cameras are miles apart and some only a few hundred yards.
The potential variables must be a bit of a challenge to the commissioning eng. How do you measure a vehicle that keeps changing lanes? It will be interesting to fine any first had involvement on here or is it a bit like reports of gassing.
The M25 variable speed section is different as the cameras are permanently fixed on gantries. ::bigsmile:riving2:

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
The speedo on a tacograph is calibrated too the exact mph so when I am in an asc control zone I just set the cruise control at -1mhp below the restricted speed but soon run up to motorists going slower because light vehicle speedo's re not as accurate as taco's useually 3mph slower there has been some debate as to whether the mph shown on a satnav is correct I can say that my TomTom is spot on with my taco but fast in my car and motorhome by about 3mph.

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Do you really care when your driving your motorhome there's no need to speed. Live life in the slow lane it`s less stressful :Cool:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Do you really care when your driving your motorhome there's no need to speed. Live life in the slow lane it`s less stressful :Cool:

Didn't say anything about a desire to speed ronny. Are you saying that you don't have to slow down for a 40mph motorway restriction.:ROFLMAO: You will get motorhomes a bad name.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

They installed a set near us last year and there was a concern raised that no one had apparently been fined, the concern was along the lines of if we have paid all that money for the cameras why don't they appear to be working, but i never saw the reply.

While i try to stick rigidly to the speed limit i do have this nagging doubt that they were never actually wired up, i seem to remember going out one day and when I returned in the evening they had installed all of them with no signs of any cables between them, now if they are fake they are doing a very good job so perhaps that was there intention.

You can normally see the cables draped along the ground or hooked onto fences between the cameras on the M25 road works and at a lot of other road working sites, i think the cables are normally blue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi,

They installed a set near us last year and there was a concern raised that no one had apparently been fined, the concern was along the lines of if we have paid all that money for the cameras why don't they appear to be working, but i never saw the reply.

While i try to stick rigidly to the speed limit i do have this nagging doubt that they were never actually wired up, i seem to remember going out one day and when I returned in the evening they had installed all of them with no signs of any cables between them, now if they are fake they are doing a very good job so perhaps that was there intention.

You can normally see the cables draped along the ground or hooked onto fences between the cameras on the M25 road works and at a lot of other road working sites, i think the cables are normally blue.

I think that a telemetry or wireless system would be more likely. Hard wireing would be a bit of a chore. You would require miles and miles of cable.

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Didn't say anything about a desire to speed ronny. Are you saying that you don't have to slow down for a 40mph motorway restriction.:ROFLMAO: You will get motorhomes a bad name.

Hi Buttons Of course i don`t mean ignoring speed restriction`s on any road i think that you possibly misunderstood what i was trying to get across.Maybe I
am just getting old and just want to slow things down .:thumb:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Buttons Of course i don`t mean ignoring speed restriction`s on any road i think that you possibly misunderstood what i was trying to get across.Maybe I
am just getting old and just want to slow things down .:thumb:
Hello ronny no probs, I'm no spring chicken myself. I find the best tool that I have for speed restrictions is the cruise control. It makes fixed speed driving a pleasure. Set it and forget it.:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

They do run miles and miles of cables for the road work cameras, next time you are driving through one of the zones you can follow the cable, as i say they are normally blue, usually accompanied by other cables and clipped to fences etc.

As for the ones i was talking about there really wasn't enough time to connect or run power supplies to them as they are in the central reservation, and the street lights are on the payment sides.

Having said all of the above and coupled with the earlier reports that no one had apparently been prosecuted by them, I still won't chance it and stick to under 50 so do a lot of other people, so it appears whether they are connected or not they appear to be working:cry::cry:

I think that a telemetry or wireless system would be more likely. Hard wireing would be a bit of a chore. You would require miles and miles of cable.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fibre optics !
My brother in law did some work on the original tests.. Dunno if they still do, but it was all run and maintained by BT !

Ahhhh The portable ones all run on radio..

mickandalva

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Arca
Exp
Speed Cameras

I have the same trouble when I am doing 40 or 50 whichever the lorries and cars have all got different speedo's to me because their 40's and 50's are faster than mine. Changing lanes is no good as all images etc go to a central computer. PC Plod.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back