Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Hi

Thinking of buying Garmin 265WT satnav. Has anyone got one or know anything about them and what is your opinion.

Thanks for you help

Sandra

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Hi Sandra

We have had a Garmin Nuvi (660 Europe) for over 3 years now (ever since the Tom Tom stopped working just after its warranty expiry in Italian Alps!!):thumbdown:

We have since been to over 27 different countries across Europe and it has not let us down ever.:thumb:

Only one grouse with it (well with Garmin actually) we decided to update the maps about 6 months ago and paid £99 as a one-off lifetime subscription to upgrade free of charge every time there is a mapping software upgrade, which seemed like good vfm. However since the upgrade we have had occasions when the screen freezes and the only way to get it to work is by running on battery power (it works fine when it is not plugged into the cigar lighter socket!!!?:RollEyes:

Having said this we went to Northern Spain and Portugal (via France) in Sep/Oct last year and it worked fine then.

So overall I can recommend Garmin (certainly over Tom Tom anyway) and you certainly don't need the MP3 player and other toys my 660 has (though the bluetooth phone connection is handy).

Hope this helps?:thumb:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Wkdtroll

We also have a garmin 660 Nuvi, had it about 3/4 years.

Ours sometimes freezes at certain points on the motorway, not sure why!!

Also when we were in germany about 3 years ago with brother in law, we followed them and they were using Tom Tom, his Co-ordinates got them to the Aires spot on, ours was about 2 miles away, do you know of any reason why this would happen??

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Had a 250W (Europe) for about 2 1/2 years now - an earlier model. I have been very happy with it, allowing for the fact that no SatNav routing is perfect and you cannot disengage the brain when using one. It would be nice to have weight / size restrictions in the programme, but I'm not prepared to pay for one of the truckers' models yet. In any event, they do not have all the French 3.5 tonne town / village restrictions in them anyway

So on balance, I will give a positive vote for the Garmin Nüvi. Mine is easy to use, accepts Lat/Long co-ords, is reliable and I can store POI files very easily.

Philip

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
just got a Garmin Nuvi 255W and tried it for the first time this week on a trip to Newcastle.
It's the 4.3 ins widescreen. UK and Europe Mapping included.

Absolutely brilliant, loads of info on the screen and easy layout to understand. The voice is good too.

All for less that £100 with free delivery.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
I've had a 265WT for a couple of years & it is great for cities. Need to be circumspect when heading for unknown areas. By that I mean, you should know roughly where you are going & let Garmin deal with the fine detail. You can input Lat & Long which is useful & I've installed all the Aires in France.

I got Doc Brown's voice installed - which is fun.:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had a Garmin 2610 for several years , used it in the US and Europe excellent but no lat long input, so have recently bought Garmin nuvi 865t which so far is vgood with lat long search , voice input etc.

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Are Garmin units easy to install POIs supplied by third parties ?

Can Autotoute Itinaries be converted and loaded into the units ?

Thanks

Rgds

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Hi

Thinking of buying Garmin 265WT satnav. Has anyone got one or know anything about them and what is your opinion.

Thanks for you help

Sandra

Just bought the same model on Friday, Downloaded the latest maps for free (you hav 30 days to do this) Not had chance to us it yet.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
hi Sandra
I have a garmin 250 done France and parts of Spain & UK of course all ok, just up dated free but loaded the wrong maps south & central and lost UK I talked to garmin who put me right, I then uploaded west & central now all ok again, so I will see what its like next month when we go to Spain. Pete & Lynn. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Are Garmin units easy to install POIs supplied by third parties ?

Can Autotoute Itinaries be converted and loaded into the units ?

Thanks

Rgds

Haven't tried that yet, but I believe so

Larry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread