pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
25mm sq (min) and large, heavy duty clamps.:thumb:

car type, usually 16mm, will melt if its not a quick starter.

Last edited:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Halfords do a heavy duty version for Diesels, I have some but have fortunately never had to use them so I don't know how good, or bad, they are but they are made of very heavy cable with big croc clips on the ends.

25mm are £27 and 35mm are £40.

Phil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I had a set that I made up with welding cable, very thin strands of copper, which I left on a truck in Aberdeen. Started many a truck, mostly poor Eastern block fellas, and I think they would have started a trawler had they been requires to.

Basically you get what you pay for if you can't nick it! ,:winky:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
have said this before, on the 1998 and onward boxers and fiats its almost impposible to connect the positive lead to battery, i was given this tip which i only charge a tenner for is,,,,,, buy a heavy duty red positive battery lead,, in the warm and with time fit one end to battery, positive of course, (just checking) and run it nice and tight to a point under bonnet you can reach,, i can clip leads on in seconds, also light tester, or under bonnet torch,,, oh yes,, when not in use,,insulate well, the chap i helped to start his, wished he had done it in the dry,, we had to remove his battery,,, :thumb::Smile::Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
have said this before, on the 1998 and onward boxers and fiats its almost impposible to connect the positive lead to battery, i was given this tip which i only charge a tenner for is,,,,,, buy a heavy duty red positive battery lead,, in the warm and with time fit one end to battery, positive of course, (just checking) and run it nice and tight to a point under bonnet you can reach,, i can clip leads on in seconds, also light tester, or under bonnet torch,,, oh yes,, when not in use,,insulate well, the chap i helped to start his, wished he had done it in the dry,, we had to remove his battery,,, :thumb::Smile::Smile:

same thing as fitted to many BMWs as the battery is in the boot.:thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
same thing as fitted to many BMWs as the battery is in the boot.:thumb:

Same on my Volvo V70 estate - we had it for some time before (like an idiot) I left the hazard lights on for a couple of hours - then I tried to find the battery :Doh:

Why is it that when you make a silly mistake like that it is in THE most public place you could never wish for - like on the main car park at a Shepton Mallet RV Show! :Sad:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks all
Have looked at Halfords, is there an alternative (online) They dont measure them in mm2 just 400 AMP :Doh:. Did pop into my local car spares, they dont have any heavy duty ones, but, they could order some at £240!! Gulp....:Blush:

ShiftZZ

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all
Have looked at Halfords, is there an alternative (online) They dont measure them in mm2 just 400 AMP :Doh:. Did pop into my local car spares, they dont have any heavy duty ones, but, they could order some at £240!! Gulp....:Blush:

ShiftZZ

£240 !!!!!
does that include the doner battery as well.

multi strand 25mm cable should be no more than maybe £3 per meter and 4 decent clamps for maybe £20 plus £10 manufacturing/distrubution cost.
i make that a pair of leads 35mtrs long...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Another tip though proly not appertaining..
Last year my son-in-law was booked to do Newark with us
He never made it cos his battery went flat on his 1997 Merc based Compass

Someone turned up with a set of jump leads for him. Done the normal thing and it fried the ruddy ECU

Apparently it is common on them.

The answer is to turn on the headlights BEFORE connection up the leads
Once connected then you can turn them off

It is supposed to take take the surge out of the connection.
Dunno if it does work but we had the same story from several different places

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'v also read that somewhere.....probably on here. :Doh:

but with leads measuring 35mtrs theres not much chance of an overload. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I looked at Halfords website before I posted earlier and they show the size of several of them, the 2 I mentioned can be seen on these links.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Phil.

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I've got jump leads but I also bought one of those self contained jump starters, it will jump start a car, has a light, compressor and a 300 watt inverter built in. I dont think it would jump start a totaly flat battery but its been handy up to now. I got it from Halford £80.00 ish.

John

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
i have a set of jump leads that would start a tank. nice and long but VERY heavy duty.
If any one is interested they are £70.00.
I could bring any that are ordered to Newark, or Carmarthen.

mymotorhome

Free Member
Apr 8, 2009
Uplawmoor Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
12 Months
Anyway near Makro. I just bought a pair of heavy duty, extra long, jump leads for £25(plus vat). Realy good quality leads.
Pete:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Go to your local welding suppliers. We had a 5 mtr long set made last year with really heavy duty cable and clamps for about £40.00ish. :winky:

I think they would start the space shuttle!!!!:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back