your expert views please! (1 Viewer)

madmothermeryl

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
today!
Well we have narrowed it down to the 2003 Autotrail Cheyenne 696G, seems to tick all our boxes! I have a couple of questions if you could help:-
1. one MH has a Fiat Ducato engine and the other has a Mercedes engine - does that make any difference?
2. Anyone know the 'emissions' for these vehicles?
3. Don't quite understand the 'payload' situation - there will only be 2 of us and we aren't going to tow anything just carry a couple of bikes and fishing stuff.
4. What are Discover Leisure ( York) or Spinneys dealers like to deal with?

I know that is quite a lot of information that I am looking for but it would really put my mind at rest to get answers from unbiased people who are using motorhomes all the time!
Thank you very much in advance for reading and hopefully posting back some answers!!:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi in answer to your questions my own opinions would be as follows-

1) To me no. I love my fiat but others would say its the be all or end all of choice of van. Your choice is on the old chasis which is without doubt the best fiat done.

2)Sorry no, but curious as to why you ask? if its regarding tax I think ours is £185 per year as a 2.8

3) Should not be a problem. Would expect it to be at 3.5t It can be an issue though and I have had to uprate our van due to the payload being tiny. pots pans and crockery would amaze you how much it all weighs, add the sat system and some other goodies and you can be close. CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU BUY. Motorhome becomes adictive and before you know it you need enough stuff to last you for a 6 month round the world trip.

4) cant speak for discover but Spinneys is just up the road from me. I have purchased a caravan off them in the past and found them very good with there customer service. There is another shop closer to me but I would allways rather go to Spinneys because there customer service is much better.
I don't know where you are or if you have seen the van in spinneys, but if you want me to cast my eye over it making sure its not a complete peice of Junk before you travel just ask. I have to go there early in the week to get some bits.

good luck what ever you choose.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
madmothermeryl

madmothermeryl

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
today!
That is really kind of you to offer to have a look at it for me, I would appreciate it.
The Fiat engine MH is at Spinneys - looks pretty good but has little repairs on roof where there has been a solar panel and satellite, Spinneys say they will re-fibreglass? the roof so all hidden - is that ok?
Inside is fine, bit of wear and tear but not bad
If you could give me your opinion I'd be very grateful, going to see the other one in York tomorrow - 10K miles less and £3K cheaper!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I,ve got the 696G (Fiat) and ran it for the last 3 years . No problems with it, the garage swallows up most things, the gross weight is 3750 and we tow a trailer with 2 motorbikes on. There are just 2 of us and most of the cupboards are half empty as it is designed as a 4 berth. The Fiat is probably the one at 3 k cheaper, but they both have the same interior and thats where you spend most of the time.

Upvote 0

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
You will not have any problems with Spinney. Since buying our mh from them last year we have had cause to contact them several times because of a few minor problems and one major problem. Their after sales service matches the friendliness of their sales process. Really can't fault them so far!

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the MERC will always get a premium over the Fiat, and be a much more sought after when sale time comes along :thumb: What is the condition of both vans ? If both about the same and the MERC is 10,000 mls less plus 3 k cheaper you should not have to ask this question :ROFLMAO: The Merc wins for me - no contest :thumb:
The roof repair should have been done as soon as it was seen :Eeek: or has it been botched up and they intend to do a proper repair ?
Emissions ? both will pay the same tax so unless you are very green it is a none question / chances are the merc will win on this as well :ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if discover leisure just bought the premises and stock from barons but kept the barons staff as they were then be cautious.

the sales men are good when they're selling but once off the forcourt they pretend not to know you.
we found the only way to get any joy was to actually visit them and speak to the guy who sold to you.

aftersales ordering is abysmal to sale the least.

we bought our first van from barons (york) over 5 years ago and after they pretended to do a PDI and valet we found 2 roof vent screens missing.
salesman ordered them and were still waiting to this day for delivery.
numerous visits and fobbed off/ bull sh&tted each time.

the above sentence says a lot for the workshops too.....
water pump leaking, vent screens missing and a totally dead leisure battery were three of the faults not picked up on.

if they imported their own staff then all may be well and it certainly couldnt be any worse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back