How do I get rid of this file? (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Have a file which has been causing some PC problems;

rlvknlg.exe

Plenty of info about this pest via Google plus the usual 'how to delete' etc, of which i'm familiar with anyway.

Gone through the usual search files and folders which is how/where I located it and manually deleted most from there, but there are two files which deny access and refuse to budge.

Anyone any idea how to f**k this off permanently? :Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I've come across this problem in the past it is because the file has been put into a system folder (e.g. System Volume Information) which cannot normally be accessed because of the danger of someone with too little knowledge making a mess of things by making changes.

What you probably need to do is right click on the folder name in Windows Explorer and then click on Sharing & Security in the menu. You then have to uncheck the Read Only box on the first (General) tab and click on Apply to make the contents accessible. The OS sometimes protests at such attempts so it is a case of keep trying until the files required can be accessed and deleted.

Don't forget to reset to Read Only after completing the deletions.

Graham

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
How do I get rid of this file?

Put it in a cake and send it to Parkhurst Jail. Simples!:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When I looked earlier Jim had posted a program to help. Gone now?:Eeek:

The utility I use is "unlocker" once installed, right click any file, click unlocker and you are presented with options like delete, move, rename, etc No matter what the circumstances, wether the file is locked or belongs to someone else, unlocker will still carry out the said function.

I have an older version of unlocker, last time I looked it had over half million dowloads from CNet alone. Someone this morning said they had a virus warning from the particular download I pointed to, so I thought I had better delete the post to be on the safe side. When I get the time I will check it out. If you want to find it just google "unlocker" without the quotes

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The utility I use is "unlocker" once installed, right click any file, click unlocker and you are presented with options like delete, move, rename, etc No matter what the circumstances, wether the file is locked or belongs to someone else, unlocker will still carry out the said function.

I have an older version of unlocker, last time I looked it had over half million dowloads from CNet alone. Someone this morning said they had a virus warning from the particular download I pointed to, so I thought I had better delete the post to be on the safe side. When I get the time I will check it out. If you want to find it just google "unlocker" without the quotes
As mentioned previous I did see your earlier post re. Unlocker before it 'disappeared' but now I see why. I downloaded Unlocker and it still refuses to budge. Incidentally after going on CNet to download, my pc locked up.

Looks like I need to get into the registry (something I don't really like playing around with) to find the 'root'.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
When I've come across this problem in the past it is because the file has been put into a system folder (e.g. System Volume Information) which cannot normally be accessed because of the danger of someone with too little knowledge making a mess of things by making changes.

What you probably need to do is right click on the folder name in Windows Explorer and then click on Sharing & Security in the menu. You then have to uncheck the Read Only box on the first (General) tab and click on Apply to make the contents accessible. The OS sometimes protests at such attempts so it is a case of keep trying until the files required can be accessed and deleted.

Don't forget to reset to Read Only after completing the deletions.

Graham
I know where the file is......it's getting rid of the damn thing thats proving a problem. Be interesting to know just how many other people have this daft file sitting 'eavesdropping' every time you connect. I first discovered it about a week ago and thought i'd got rid of it.....but it has a nasty habit of coming back.

The file name is rlvknlg.exe and in my case it's sitting in Program Files, but the 'root' must be somewhere in the registry and I doubt I will get rid of it unless I get in there and have a poke around.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
It's put on by relevant knowledge dot com and Win Patrol will get rid of it for you

Phil

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Had a look at this and basically it gets you to download a Registry Cleaner. The last time I ran one of those things I ended up reformatting the entire drive so I don't fancy risking that!

Absolute load of info on google about this daft file but it seems its a matter of sifting through all the bullshit progs persuading you to download this 'n that which doesn't actually do the job and get rid.....just clutters your drive up with useless crap!

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Win Patrol is a free utility that allows you to see lots of goings on in the computer. For example all the start up programs which can then be disabled if you dont want them starting up each time. Another allows you to delete any or all cookies. And the important one for your problem is to list all the active tasks. You can then kill any that you dont want and have them deleted on reboot. That would include the one you want to get rid of.

www.winpatrol.com

Pkil.

custom_ride

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
SouthamptoN
Funster No
This file is appearing with regularity as an adware and spyware related module. Many virus checkers are reporting it as a trojan. When you attempt to delete this it may not let you if the file is in use. Press ctrl-alt-del and fine the rlvknlg.exe program in your processes list, then end the task. Then you should be able to delete it after doing this. Visit rlvknlg.exe for complete information on this task or process.
MO.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Suggestions

Two suggestions:
1. Download Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and was the only program to get rid of a similar virus I had 3 days ago that was shutting down the computer every 10 minutes or so.

2. Start computer in 'Safe Mode' by pressing F8 and choosing the Safe Mode option. It stops the program starting and you should be able to delete it. Then restart.

Hope you get it sorted soon. I know how frustrating it can be, mine drove me nuts for 3 days solid.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thanks to all who replied with various suggestions.

Spent most of the afternoon sorting the bugger out and found it had first arrived in my pc back in September 09.....an unwelcome guest lurking within. :Angry: Precisely who benefits from these 'activities' is anyones guess.

Accessing Task Manager shows what processes are running (which is how I first spotted it after hearing one of the drives continually whirring away when I had nothing going), but simply clicking 'end process' does not get rid of it.....it does just what it says, ends the process, i.e. stops it running, but the file is still there on your drive and will 'kick in' again as soon as you reboot. You have to remove the thing off your pc. Sounds simple but it's often not! Eventually somehow I managed to finally get this bugger out.....spent that long 'fiddling' I still can't remember everything I went through and i'm that paranoid I keep checking back to see if it's got back in again. :RollEyes:

During looking at info about this rlvknlg.exe I came across yet another evil little 'invader' which involves a fake windows security centre....see here;
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back