Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
During the two years we toured the USA & Canada did we ever have a condensation problem, the two roof vents were always fully open and most days several windows open as well.

Since returning to the UK in August 2009 the roof vents and windows have barely been opened to conserve heat, this has resulted in condensation on most windows and frames particularly when using hot water for showers,washing dishes, cooking and boiling a kettle to make tea.

Our 39ft RV has three slides, I have no idea what that equals in cubic feet area but at least fellow American RV owners will have a rough idea.

I have no knowledge of dehumidifiers so how do you choose which one to buy, price, tank capacity, moisture removal per day, brand?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Mick

never used one, we kept the roof vents open and had two 800 watt oil filled rads on, .. condensation was never a problem even in the coldest days .. that's my advice ..

jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For what its worth
In my opinion you will never get the RV dryer than the ambient air, so every time you open a door you will have a bucket of water to dispose of
keeping the van warm as per Jim's post works better IE prevention is better than a cure:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We generally get condensation when cooking etc and have to open vents and windows to clear hadn't considered a de humidifier, more weight to carry but a small unit might be worth considering

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi Mick

never used one, we kept the roof vents open and had two 800 watt oil filled rads on, .. condensation was never a problem even in the coldest days .. that's my advice ..

jim

Jim, During the recent cold spell with outside temperatures below minus 17c you kept your RV warm just with two 800w oil rads and your roof vents open:Eeek:

How many layers of clothing had you on?..........We struggle with a 1200w fan /convector and a 1200w halogen heaters, BOTH vents closed.

Could this be a good reason NOT to have any slide-outs?

Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, During the recent cold spell with outside temperatures below minus 17c you kept your RV warm just with two 800w oil rads and your roof vents open:Eeek:

How many layers of clothing had you on?..........We struggle with a 1200w fan /convector and a 1200w halogen heaters, BOTH vents closed.

Could this be a good reason NOT to have any slide-outs?

Mick

Hi Mick

Fortunately not this winter, we moved into a house last Sep, but the previous winter was also cold with minus temperatures at night.. the two oil filled kept the RV fairly comfy during the night.

I also fitted a 200 watt green house heater in the basement ( about a tenner from B &Q) to keep the tanks from freezing and another in the toilet ..

Daytime we supplemented the heating by using the gas furnaces .. and a 2kw fan heater.. a balancing act with other electric appliances , hence the Owl meter

We don't have slides which of course increase the volume of the RV and hence the more heating required .. I don't think it's a reason not to have slides but it is a downside..

Do you have dual paned windows.. ? I suspect you do, but if not you could make some winter screens from the silver aluminium insulation sold in most builders merchants or at a DIY store .. nothing fancy, you can edge with gaffer tape and if your really keen fit them with suckers to fix to windows or use tape.

jim

See basement heater on back wall..

Link Removed

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mick/Pat you may not be aware but then again you may:Blush:
That Halogen heater may feel nice on your body, but adds no heat as such to the air or fabric of the RV really a waste of time, :Doh: but good for instant heat when stepping out the shower:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Jim,

We also play balance the amps and The Owl is a god send, 'Thanks for its recommendation'

Geo, No I didn't know that I naturally thought heat was heat, keeps her indoors happy though,:roflmto:

Mick

verity23

Free Member
Sep 20, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 Years
Hi We use a dehumidifier during the night while asleep and suffer not condensation problems. ( we have two slideouts) The water tank size is 20L with an input of 400watts.

I do not of any MH I have seen which does not suffer from condensation, you just look around the campsite and its on every MH even with windscreen protection.

I would reconmend a dehumidifier!!

Deleted User
We got our single glazed 5er in Sept'08 during a very wet and humid spell of weather and had huge condensation problems, especially in the sleeping area, despite leaving windows and vents partly open.A largish 200w de humidifier reduced this virtually to zero, we also used this in last years cold spell in the UK with similar results but any dehumidifier only works above about 5 degrees(maybe not exact figure) so heaters also need to be used in sub zero temperatures.
We are now in southern Spain and use the dehumidifier most nights, producing about 5 litres per night, I cannot recommend dehumidifiers enough.

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi MicknPat
You continue to produce condensation all the time - breathing,cooking ect. And this will just keep building up, the van getting damper and damper.
A dehumidifier will keep this to a minimum and tolerable. you will need to keep the ventilation to an absolute minimum.
Our dehumidifier draws in air and blows out warm dry air producing a 'comfatuble dry' atmosphere. You will be amazed at the amount of water it drags out of the air.
Hopes this helps. :thumb:

PK

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I also use a dehumidifier, but only when the m/h is not in use.

My reasoning is that although you can never hermetically seal the van you can prevent soft funishings etc from becoming damp through absorbing airborne moisture.

The van's humidity is constantly below the percentage of the outside humidity which means that the dehumidifier is having a bebeficial effect.

Another plus factor is that as the units fan sucks in air it is also stirring up the air in the van and preventing pockets of stagnant air causing mildew and mould.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have our small dehumidifier running during the day--every day in cold weather while on EHU, it's in the bedroom and we turn it off at night because of the fan noise (it's not loud, just there) This helps to stop damp (and mildew) in mattress and bedding, it normally collects about 1 1/2 litres a week, where would this water be if we didn't catch it ?
Our dehumidifer is small enough to hide away when not required.
Heat and ventilation are VERY important though. When it's 90-99% humidity outside it's normally 50-60% inside
Nigel & Pamala

Apr 7, 2008
based in North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 650
Exp
11yrs
We use an ebac 2650e dehumidifier in our single slide 34ft damon daybreak, cost about £150. I leave it on 24/7 as it has an automatic setting and comes on when needed. I am amazed at the amount of water it collects at times but at least its not on the windows and walls. We also have an oil filled radiator and small electric convector heater for extra warmth. We still get a bit of condensation on the single glazed pullout windows but this soon clears with the dehumidifier. It is a bit extra wieght to carry but well worth not having the condensation and damp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back