Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Is there any Funsters that has travelled form France to Portugal or Portugal to France going through Spain from Biarritz...From the New Year 2010.... to present date

What are the roads like........................

what is the best route this time of year....

which is the best and safest road to go on.....

which are the best places to stop on route.......

name/number of the roads to travel on

any help would be welcomed as it would be a new trip for me

Mel:thumb:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I avoid toll roads except in the snow and around San Sebastian.

Motorway over the border then up up & away on what seems like a never ending ascent heading for Vitoria Gasteiz. Then Burgos, Valladollid, Salamanca & Plasencia. It gets warmer when you descend off the high plateau onto the A66 at Banos de Montemayor between Salamanca & Plasencia.

It depends where you are going in Portugal where you leave the A66.

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Done portugal lots of times.Dont use the toll roads,but never had any problems.Roads in portugal and spain are good if going near seville then lots of new roads.Stopped on aires and services and never had a problem.Enjoy,lots of beautiful scenery.
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Is there any Funsters that has travelled form France to Portugal or Portugal to France going through Spain from Biarritz...From the New Year 2010.... to present date

What are the roads like........................

what is the best route this time of year....

which is the best and safest road to go on.....

which are the best places to stop on route.......

name/number of the roads to travel on

any help would be welcomed as it would be a new trip for me

Mel:thumb:

What part of Portugal do you want to head for ?

RD

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
If going from Calais then head for Rouen on the A28, free most of the way except between Boulogne and Abbeville.
From Rouen head to Alencon, Le Mans, Tours, you can go motorway at a cost or good N roads but i would use the motorway around Tours as far as Poitiers then the N10 which is as good as motorway as far as Bordeaux.
After Bordeaux head for Biaritz but stop on the motorway as far as Bidart if heading for the Aire at Biaritz it is only a few Euros but well worth it.
For stopovers I always use Aires which you will find at
http://www.campingcar-infos.com.

I would recomend the Aires at Cleres, Nuilly Pont Piere, and Biaritz for this section.

From Biaritz jump back on the motorway and go by the E05 then E80 all free motorway from just after the border to Vittoria Gasteiz, then either pay as far as Burgos about 12 euros i think or jump off onto the ordinary road, slower but good.

From Burgos head on the E80 to Palencia , Valladolid, Salamanca, all free motorway then follow the signs for Portugal crossing the border at Villa Formosa.
You then join free motorway IP5, IP2, IP6, to just north of Santarem then its paid motorway the A13, and expensive to Alcacer.

For stops after Biaritz there are Aires at Vittoria, Palencia, and Valadolid or campsites at Cubulas, a bit of a flea pit and expensive and a good campsite at Hotel Regio in Salamnca.
The campsite at Alcacer is good and reasonable.

You will find all the GPS coordinates for the Aires at the www.campingcar-infos.com
website.

You will find the route from Biaritz on a very easy and quiet drive being motorway for 95% of the time.
Hope you enjoy your trip and if i can help you further dont hesitate to ask.
RD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If going from Calais then head for Rouen on the A28, free most of the way except between Boulogne and Abbeville.
From Rouen head to Alencon, Le Mans, Tours, you can go motorway at a cost or good N roads but i would use the motorway around Tours as far as Poitiers then the N10 which is as good as motorway as far as Bordeaux.
After Bordeaux head for Biaritz but stop on the motorway as far as Bidart if heading for the Aire at Biaritz it is only a few Euros but well worth it.
For stopovers I always use Aires which you will find at
http://www.campingcar-infos.com.

I would recomend the Aires at Cleres, Nuilly Pont Piere, and Biaritz for this section.

From Biaritz jump back on the motorway and go by the E05 then E80 all free motorway from just after the border to Vittoria Gasteiz, then either pay as far as Burgos about 12 euros i think or jump off onto the ordinary road, slower but good.

From Burgos head on the E80 to Palencia , Valladolid, Salamanca, all free motorway then follow the signs for Portugal crossing the border at Villa Formosa.
You then join free motorway IP5, IP2, IP6, to just north of Santarem then its paid motorway the A13, and expensive to Alcacer.

For stops after Biaritz there are Aires at Vittoria, Palencia, and Valadolid or campsites at Cubulas, a bit of a flea pit and expensive and a good campsite at Hotel Regio in Salamnca.
The campsite at Alcacer is good and reasonable.

You will find all the GPS coordinates for the Aires at the www.campingcar-infos.com
website.

You will find the route from Biaritz on a very easy and quiet drive being motorway for 95% of the time.
Hope you enjoy your trip and if i can help you further dont hesitate to ask.
RD

Hi RD ....Thank you very much for that information it was very kind of you, we live in Northern France between Berck sur mer and Arras and have done the route down to and around Biarritz many times as we have covered many km touring France...so that part was not a problem BUT I have looked at your info on the France route in case I can improve on my own route (and of course new aires to try).that I was taking from my home northern France to the aire just above Biarritz, called "Ondres plage"...it was the Spain and down to Portugal that was the problem as I have never done it before and because of the time of year it is now, I was not sure what the roads would be like (meaning Passable with snow,icy, or just bad roads)so your info was a BIG help thank you .....and where to stop on the road in between France and Portugal if I did not complete the full trip in one day .........

How long would you say it would take you to the destination in Portugal once you have left Biarritz (rough guide)..........Thank you Mel :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Rd... there is a possibility we will take your route its similar to my route, but me and the wife do like trying new aires out as we to only use aires.....just one question on the aires you have written is there any of the aires not suitable for a RV 40' long and a car on tow as hopefully we are meeting up with another funster and this what he has got...BIG... so said he must be able to get his rig in onto the aire ......if you could alter your previous thread saying yes or no would be a great help :thumb::thumb: Mel

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You will be travelling quite close to Quinta Majay, Mel. You would be welcome if you want some rural, semi isolated peace and quiet before heading further south to Alcacer...

JJ

mickey

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
France
Funster No
Exp
3 months
France to Portugal.

Easy route through Spain,San Sebastian,Burgos,Valladolid,Salamanca,Cacares.Then head for Badajaz(border with Portugal).Then it,s a straight road to Alcasar(Lisbon road).
Did It both ways easy.
Good driving:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Camping Fuentes Blancas at Burgos is open all year, and is ok for RV's although over 34' may need to shut a bit to get around the first bend after reception see here: http://www.campingburgos.com/01_principal.php?lang=EN the website is quoting 08 prices, if that's still the same then at €10.25 plus €2.97 per adult inc. leccy that's not bad.

See Jims map here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...42.338499,-3.628922&spn=0.14313,0.256119&z=12

I drove from there to Camping Lisboa (about 450miles) in a day.

There's a carpark at Saint Jean de Luz that's ok for RV's, but not pulling a trailor, although you could unhitch it. Nighttime only, you have to be gone by 09.00 see here:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...386774,-1.662111&spn=0.03518,0.06403&t=h&z=14

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You will be travelling quite close to Quinta Majay, Mel. You would be welcome if you want some rural, semi isolated peace and quiet before heading further south to Alcacer...

JJ

Thank you JJ that is very kind of you.........................Mel

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Rd... there is a possibility we will take your route its similar to my route, but me and the wife do like trying new aires out as we to only use aires.....just one question on the aires you have written is there any of the aires not suitable for a RV 40' long and a car on tow as hopefully we are meeting up with another funster and this what he has got...BIG... so said he must be able to get his rig in onto the aire ......if you could alter your previous thread saying yes or no would be a great help :thumb::thumb: Mel

From Biaritz we normaly drive straight across to Hotel Regio in Salamnca and from there to Alcacer so 2 days comfortable time wise without killing it but Salamanca is worth a at least a days stop.
As for the 40ft rig you will be ok at Salamnca but Palencia would be too tight for it i would think, I have not tried Vittoria or Valadolid as of yet.

RD

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We stayed at the aire at Palencia & Vitoria Gasteiz on the way home in March last year. The aire at Vitoria is on a large car park & I would think it was big enough for almost any size. Although it was in the middle of a lot of blocks of flats it was really quiet, maybe because the Police station was just across the road.

Link Removed

They were charging 10 euros at Biarritz when we were there, the gendarmes came to collect it, despite the signs saying it was free until April. We moved to Ondres Plage then to Capbreton.

Attachments

• Vitoria Gasteiz.jpg
    Vitoria Gasteiz.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread