Any Gas Fitters on MHF to Answer LPG Question? (1 Viewer)

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Are there any Gas fitter / engineers or relatives / friends of such a person?

I need to know if Gas fitters receive any training on LPG to qualify as a Gas engineer or is LPG treated as a separate subject and training package?

I need some work carried out on the LPG system of our RV and wonder who go to, a Corgi qualified gas engineer or LPG gas engineer?

Thanks Mick

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
You will need a gas safe registered engineer who currently holds the LPG element
which covers Leisure Accommodation Vehicles or LAV talk to Mark at CLS he`s on here and also is mobile :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:Cheers Rob,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you need to find a LPG gas engineer in your area go to the gas safe register website type in your post code and then scrolldown the list untill you find one with LPG and caravans.:Cool:

wildbilly

Free Member
Jan 11, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
since 2009
LPG for motorhomes

I am a registered gas installer and I can confirm that you need to be qualified in LPG and have passed an element on leisure vehicles to be able to work on a caravan/motorhome.
As stated earlier in the thread, look on the Gas Safe web site and find a qualified installer in your area or ring Gas Safe and ask them to for a list of qualified installers local to you.

:RollEyes:
Wildbilly

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
I need some work carried out on the LPG system of our RV and wonder who go to, a Corgi qualified gas engineer or LPG gas engineer?

Thanks Mick

Hi Mick

The best bet is to log on to the Gas Safe web site and look for someone in your area. Dependant on the appliance you have depends on the certification and registration they will need to have to undertake the work:

They will need the LAV which quite rightly covers Leisure Accommodation Vehicles (Rolling chassis)

Then they will need to have either or all of the following to work on the specific appliances as follows:

HTRLP2 for working on Fires/Heaters
WATLP2 for working on Water Heaters
CKR1 for working on cookers
REFLP2 for working on refrigerators.

Just to have the LAV certification/registration means they are only certificated for the Safety side of LPG.

Now here is where it gets complicated or confusing:
If the engineer has
Core LPG (PD) followed by CKR1, HTR1, CEN1, WAT1 then he is only allowed to work on Permanent Dwellings (Brick buildings)

If the engineer has
Core LPG (RPH) followed by CKR1, HTR1, CEN1, WAT1 then he is only allowed to work on Residential Park Homes (Statics, holiday homes etc)

To work on the sector specific appliances in Motorhomes, caravans (rolling chassis) he/she must have the LP2 codes.

Hope this helps, and you're not too confused. PM me for my mobile number if you need it.
BTW just in case you're wondering, I co-ordinate the assessments for the gas safe registered engineers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Pammy

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi Mick - I think you will find Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner is fully qualified in LPG works 01522 778944

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
Hi Mick

The best bet is to log on to the Gas Safe web site and look for someone in your area. Dependant on the appliance you have depends on the certification and registration they will need to have to undertake the work:

They will need the LAV which quite rightly covers Leisure Accommodation Vehicles (Rolling chassis)

Then they will need to have either or all of the following to work on the specific appliances as follows:

HTRLP2 for working on Fires/Heaters
WATLP2 for working on Water Heaters
CKR1 for working on cookers
REFLP2 for working on refrigerators.

Just to have the LAV certification/registration means they are only certificated for the Safety side of LPG.

Now here is where it gets complicated or confusing:
If the engineer has
Core LPG (PD) followed by CKR1, HTR1, CEN1, WAT1 then he is only allowed to work on Permanent Dwellings (Brick buildings)

If the engineer has
Core LPG (RPH) followed by CKR1, HTR1, CEN1, WAT1 then he is only allowed to work on Residential Park Homes (Statics, holiday homes etc)

To work on the sector specific appliances in Motorhomes, caravans (rolling chassis) he/she must have the LP2 codes.

Hope this helps, and you're not too confused. PM me for my mobile number if you need it.
BTW just in case you're wondering, I co-ordinate the assessments for the gas safe registered engineers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Pammy

This is interesting. I, for one, didn't know of this change to regulations, because previous rules didn't make working on gas installations in motorhomes a legal requirement.
If these new rules DO make it a legal requirement to have the necessary qualifications to work on motorhomes, then none of us diy people can service/repair the gas appliances in our vans.

Another example where we will not only have to pay to have this type of work carried out, but in addition, we will have to pay more VAT.

Mick H.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Lpg

I think that you will find the Gas Safe LPG cert covers domestic LPG installations but not touring vehicles (caravans & motorhomes). There is a separate registration known as ACOPS for these vehicles. In fact the law doesn't even require this for tourers.

I have taken this from the TC Training web site, its a good explanation.

ACOP LPG Caravan
Approved Code of Practice (ACOP)
This course is for Gas Engineers who are working out of scope in the Gas Industry on Touring Caravans.

Training & Assessments over 4 days

The Course consists of: Gas Safety Regulations, Characteristics of LPG, Characteristics of complete and incomplete Combustion, Expansion, Flammability & Explosive Limits, Flueing & Ventilation Requirements, Supply & Operating Pressures, Pipework Installation & Sizing, Testing for Gas Tightness, Gas emergency Actions & Procedures, Positioning & Operation of Emergency Controls and Gas Controls, Inspection Checking & Testing of LPG Appliances

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
A BIG thanks everyone for your replies, we have already been ripped off by a recommended (by friends) qualified RV engineer in the States :Angry:.

But not only that, we took our brand new Jeep to a Jeep dealership to have a simple wiring job done.

The simple job was to wire a 'spare' red light in each rear side light cluster which I thought would make great rear hazard / fog warning lights, required for UK use but not in the US, I purchased an illuminated on/off switch again which is part of the UKs legal requirement.

Now as I'm sure you all know your rear hazard or fog lights are only suppose to work when your head lights are turned on.

Now the Jeep electrician struggled with this job and made a complete hash of it so much that we had to get it done again in Southampton when we had the car SVA'd (now called IVA):Angry::Angry:

Mick

Last edited:

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
I've been trying to research wether it is now a legal requirement to have certification to work on gas appliances in motorhomes, following the changes from Corgi to Gas Safety.
What I have found suggests that there has been NO change, in this respect, so those of us who service our own vans appliances can still do so and be legal.

Mick H.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
To the best of my knowledge there is still no requirement for Corgi/Gas Safe registration to work on a motorhome or caravan's LPG system. It is highly reccomended though that you be "Competent". What this means in the real world is anybody doing such work in the course of a business should at the very least have an ACOPS certification.

D.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
I've been trying to research wether it is now a legal requirement to have certification to work on gas appliances in motorhomes, following the changes from Corgi to Gas Safety.
What I have found suggests that there has been NO change, in this respect, so those of us who service our own vans appliances can still do so and be legal.

Mick H.

Hi Mick
I never said that it was a legal requirement. Mick asked:

Ineed to know if Gas fitters receive any training on LPG to qualify as a Gas engineer or is LPG treated as a separate subject and training package?

and I answered him correctly. I know there is an ACoP route but I don't know anything about it. I only know of the ACS Gas Safe Registered route.

But let's not lose site of one very important thing here and I've said this on previous threads. Anyone who works on any type of gas appliances who is not 'competent' to do so (and competent means certificated either by ACS or ACoP accreditation) and causes a fatality will most certainly be up before the man with the curly wig.

The regs are here - have a read
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l56.pdf

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back