Upgrade a Ducato 2.8 tdi engine (1 Viewer)

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has anyone ever upgraded their 'old' 2.8 Fiat engine to a new spec engine or increased the power output in some way. I know you can't do anything electronically as it is the older engine but I love my Hymer B644 just need more power when towing my race car trailer. Any ideas are welcome, apart from sell the motorhome and buy a new one:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As you have said.. no electronics.. the 2.8 TDI isn't fitted with an ECU so can't be mapped or have a chip fitted..

there may be mechanical ways to tune it ... but beyond my knowledge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Be careful what you wish for the clutch is the weak link on the 2.8 jtd as I've learned the hard way.:rolleyes:l
Poxy remap cost me over £2000. in repairs.

Sorry ignore me just realised yours is tdi not jtd
That's why I'm an unemployed village idiot(y)

OP
OP
R

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Its a 2000 so cannot be chipped!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i did read on a forum,maybe motorhomefact, somebody had new injectors fitted with modern" spray pattern" which they reckoned made a difference, so this maybe worth looking in too.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Has anyone ever upgraded their 'old' 2.8 Fiat engine to a new spec engine or increased the power output in some way. I know you can't do anything electronically as it is the older engine but I love my Hymer B644 just need more power when towing my race car trailer. Any ideas are welcome, apart from sell the motorhome and buy a new one:)
There'll be a slightly larger turbo available to fit. The smart bit is knowing the optimum boost & a Diesel tuning firm should be able to help with that.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I suspect that it's the 16 years of use that has taken the edge off the performance.
In my experience the performance and power of any engine drops off due to several reasons including poor running in when new, poor servicing and idling for long periods (ever heard people charging batteries while parked on site!). I assume you cannot be sure of how it was used from new.
The starting point is to get a dyno result to see what power it delivers compared with the manufacturers figures. Then you can decide if reconditioning is the answer.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As a 2.8TDi owner, I enquired about extra power.

Apparently, optimisation of the diesel pump timing, is the only way to increase the power output. With that, other compromises may result, ie, lower MPG, and possibly a smokier exhaust when under load. :(

I left mine as it was, and the only time I suffer from a lack of power, is on the hills, but running at almost 5T most of the time, it isn't unexpected. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back