prize for the most obvious question? (1 Viewer)

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
Can I use a domestic combination microwave oven in my motorhome on electric hook up? Or is there some electric magic that I am not aware of and in danger of blowing up my van and/or the microwave? Whilst on the subject I may as well ask if it is possible to use any domestic electrical item in the van without the blowing up thing occuring?
Thank you to all the funsters in anticipation, (inc Bob and Jane the source of all knowledge):Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can I use a domestic combination microwave oven in my motorhome on electric hook up? Or is there some electric magic that I am not aware of and in danger of blowing up my van and/or the microwave? Whilst on the subject I may as well ask if it is possible to use any domestic electrical item in the van without the blowing up thing occuring?
Thank you to all the funsters in anticipation, (inc Bob and Jane the source of all knowledge):Smile:

Just depends on the hook up. If it's a low 6A one you can't, otherwise cook away.

Upvote 0

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

In a word, yes....................BUT
check the power rating of the appliance you would like to use.
Remember that start up current is considerably greater than running current for a microwave.

In general, on large sites, you've a good chance of getting a 16 amp hook up which will happily run any domestic appliance you're likely to take in your 'van, providing you dont run too many appliances at once.
On farms /CL's/ CS's, its likely that you'll get a 10 amp hook up so you have to do a bit more juggling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
A microwave draws 2.5 times its rated wattage on start up, so a 1Kw will draw 2.5 Kw at start up.

If you are on a 10 amp EHU you may, and should trip out, ::cry: on 16 amps, OK :Smile: but balance your demand.

Same applies to any domestic electrical items.:Cool:

10 amps provides 2300 watts

16 amps provides 3680 watts

Hope this helps

Nomadic

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you can run anything you want on hookup...microwave, sunbed, jacuzi, cement mixer, washing machine....anything...... providing you dont overload either your own fuse breakers or those in the hookup post.

i use the microwave on hookup or genny if no hookup available.

look on the data plate on appliances to find the watts.....divide by 230 and the result is the amps.....ie: 1000watts = 4.34 amps

on a 10 amp hookup you SHOULD be ok to run upto 2300watts of appiances together.
5amp hookup= 1150watts
16amp hookup = 3680watts.
dont forget to add in your charger etc.
id run slightly less though so as not to trip the hookup post.

Upvote 0

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Link Removed, just remember that your are camping! albeit in a tin tent with wheels!
All the power you use has to come in via that one small cable on the side of the van.

By all means do the calculations if you like that sort of thing otherwise just don't behave as if you are in a house with an 100 amp supply - you have a max of 16 amps and sometimes only 6.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs

Sat on site in Spain on 10 amps and use the microwave on medium power. No problem as long as I remember to switch off the kettle, hot air fire if in use ( gets a bit chilly by tea time) but can leave TV ON. just be sensible as someone stated you are camping!!!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Hopesy

Free Member
Nov 5, 2008
South Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
With Microwaves don't go by the rating written on the front (ie 800w)as this is the output, but look on the plaate at the rear as this will give you the input wattage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back