Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi i have been reading a number of posts regarding which ferries to take to France and most people seem to recomend Norfolk line as they are the cheaper, i have just got a couple of quotes for 4 people in a motorhome 7 meters long above 3 meters high in april both early sailings around 6am and Norfolk line have quoted £102.00 and P&O are quoting me £68.00, ther seems to be a large diffrence have i missed something with P&O i have tried it a few times and its always the same price do they add charges on when it comes to entering your details as it seems very reasonable to me.
Thought i better check before i Book

Thanks Ged :Smile:

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
£68.00 does seem very cheap. I booked a couple of weeks ago to travel out this Sunday and return in March. Cost wth P&O £37.50 each way. Thought that was good value.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
£68.00 does seem very cheap. I booked a couple of weeks ago to travel out this Sunday and return in March. Cost wth P&O £37.50 each way. Thought that was good value.

I dont think you missing anything. We were activley booking on the web at the weekend and as we were booking the price went up £20.00.

We changed to Seafrance and paid £122.00 Return, 2 peeps and a dog, no charge for the dog.

Its difficult to say that one provider is cheaper or more expesive than another. You have to take account of time of year, the day, the time of day, your mh length and for us the big thing was the hieght.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
When shipping out of Dover we normally use Norfolk Line as they seem to work out the cheapest for us, this year we've booked P&O for mid June 2 adults + rv 10m x 4m high £125.50 return.

Mike.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
When shipping out of Dover we normally use Norfolk Line as they seem to work out the cheapest for us, this year we've booked P&O for mid June 2 adults + rv 10m x 4m high £125.50 return.

Mike.

Sorry Ive edited my post above. Its £122.00, not £220.00.:Blush: So yours is very similar to mine Mike.

Jim

:Smile:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we always find norfolk line more expensive,we are 7.31m long and above 3mtrs high. sea france are normaly cheaper for us. last year we got a multi carnet with sea france costing £192 for 3 return trips just pull up and go on next ferry,this year i think they have increased the price for m/h's over 5mtr so dont think we will be getting 1 this year

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
just priced up our return ferry for summer for 3 adults(including child 16) 1 child and a dog p&o £180 seafrance £160 norfolk line £152 norfolk line used to charge a suppliments over 7m i think now its up to 9m before they charged

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We changed to Seafrance and paid £122.00 Return, 2 peeps and a dog, no charge for the dog.

Its difficult to say that one provider is cheaper or more expesive than another. You have to take account of time of year, the day, the time of day, your mh length and for us the big thing was the hieght.

Jim

That is really interesting, we have 2 dogs which cost £30 each on P and O and the Tunnel, this is usually a third of the cost of travelling so the fact that there is no charge for dogs on Seafrance is very interesting indeed. Thanks for the information we will definitely look at them for our 2nd crossing in September.

Ginny and Mike

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
norfolk lines

members of c c, and booking via them always gets me very cheap fare, have just phoned to see, next wed 2359 out followin tues 2359 back, 6mtr 2 adults, 54 80 return, that was 2hrs ago, that and c ls, only reason i pay my membership, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
members of c c, and booking via them always gets me very cheap fare, have just phoned to see, next wed 2359 out followin tues 2359 back, 6mtr 2 adults, 54 80 return, that was 2hrs ago, that and c ls, only reason i pay my membership, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They would have to pay me for me to go at that time.

Jim:Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
People rarely mention LD Lines who operate Dover to Boulogne. If your traveling south it can save a few miles over Calais or Dunquerke.

I've just been quoted Boulogne to Dover return £85.50 or a single trip £47.50.

Admittedly I'm going in the opposite direction to you and I'm a solo traveler, but I've often found LD lines to be cheaper than the rest.
The bonus is if you get the speed ferry it's only just over 35 minutes for the trip.

Pete:Cool:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We always use seafrance now.
Always seems cheaper and the service has always been good as has P&O but Norfolk line, terrible service when we used them a few years back and have not gone with them since. there loss we go accross the channel 3 or 4 times a year.:thumb:

Maurice Dancer

Free Member
Jan 21, 2009
Funster No
People rarely mention LD Lines who operate Dover to Boulogne. If your traveling south it can save a few miles over Calais or Dunquerke.

I've just been quoted Boulogne to Dover return £85.50 or a single trip £47.50.

Admittedly I'm going in the opposite direction to you and I'm a solo traveler, but I've often found LD lines to be cheaper than the rest.
The bonus is if you get the speed ferry it's only just over 35 minutes for the trip.

Pete:Cool:

For info, LD moved the speed ferry from Dover - it's a normal ship now so takes a bit longer.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi i have been reading a number of posts regarding which ferries to take to France and most people seem to recomend Norfolk line as they are the cheaper, i have just got a couple of quotes for 4 people in a motorhome 7 meters long above 3 meters high in april both early sailings around 6am and Norfolk line have quoted £102.00 and P&O are quoting me £68.00, there seems to be a large diffrence have i missed something?
First of all ......no one ferry line is 'cheaper' than the cheapest price available. Think about that for a minute. Its plain and simple good old fashioned logic. In a nutshell it means compare like for like with all companies, then look at the lowest figure you get and bingo......thats your cheaper ferry company at that particular date and time.

Anyone who tells you different simply isn't thinking right.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Did you check what the price was without CC membership? It wouldn't surprise me if it was cheaper!

Regarding times of crossing etc. Late night fares have always been cheaper and there used to be a time when you could book a night time low rate.....then turn up say at mid-day (peak period) and ask if there was any available space. They would always get you on which no doubt annoyed the numpties who paid a couple of hundered quid for the same slot you got on for 75% less.

But the ferry companies wised up and won't let you do that now unless you pay a 'flexi fare'.

I suspect it's probably more to do with the SS (State Security) than profiteering.

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
I prefer to go with the company with the most ships/sailings if one ship drops out due to technical difficulties and it does occasionally happen there is another not far away. If there is only one on the route (eggs in one basket) it spoils the start of a holiday for a few quid.
So I stick with P & O given up with the Western Channel, Brittany Ferries are too expensive, even though they are nearer

suntorfan

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Compass 2 berth
Exp
since March 09
Norfolkline always seems to work out dearer whenever I have obtained a quote - but is a much nicer travelling experience - lots of Samsung tellys - not quite sure why this is good = if Belgium is better for you route-wise then it's probably best to go with them. I think you have you to experience all of them before choosing your own favourite which is based invariably on what you are doing/where travelling to at the time. Bon voyage!!:Smile:

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
i always just go on the cheapest one and have never had any problems with any comany and av been on them all ?? as long as you get there its only a short time to be on them ?? the price is the main thing to worry about all the ships are clean and tidy ? thanks keith::bigsmile:

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
£89.00 return last June with P&O. on the return leg we were not due to sail until 1.30 am but rolled up @ about 9.30pm was admitted through at no extra charge cos the queue to get on was quite small, lucky I know but people are right when they say go with a tried and tested company, I made my decision after reading what the good folk on here had to say.::bigsmile:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We booked Norfolk line for June, cost us £52 Return with a Code which was on here just after christmas, bargain.
We find Norfok line ships very comfortable too.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well we go for the cheapest 'for the times and dates we want at the time of booking' too, but I have to say from our experiences over the last 10 years and up to last October - P&O consistently have proved time and time again to be more helpful at check-in whether UK or France. On at least 3 crossings last year we got on an earlier ferry just by turning up early. Even when there was a lot more than £10 difference in the price, and never asked to pay anything on any occasion. If they were more expensive but £20 dearer when booking, frankly at the moment I'd rather pay it.

In the past we - being 3 cars + fully laden trailers containing 10 assorted adults and children - having made far better time down to Dover than expected - have been ordered completely out of the docks by other carriers - and we nearly all had a need of the loo on one occasion so on the way round to "lane whatever it is", we all pulled up on one of the ferry lanes, which was 100% empty for 500yds in every direction, left a driver in each vehicle, engines running and ran to the loo. Did we get into trouble or what? At least somewhere in France (don't ask me which port cos I forget) we had the same on a motorbike in the flipping rain, but at least there was a parking area there and we kept hoping a caravan or m'home would turn up and take pity on us (not to drip all over their pride and joy - but a cuppa, or even a kind word and the loan of a brolly would have been very welcome! I do tend to try and bear this in mind now we're the ones in the dry!)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
i always just go on the cheapest one and have never had any problems with any comany and av been on them all ?? as long as you get there its only a short time to be on them ?? the price is the main thing to worry about all the ships are clean and tidy ? thanks keith::bigsmile:
Exactly.

If you want to sail at peak times or fussy about the brand of telly's they have onboard, then you will pay top dollar for the priviledge.

Have to say the only company i've not yet been with is Norfolkline.....for the simple reason i've not yet found a cheaper fare with them than the others.

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Exactly.

If you want to sail at peak times or fussy about the brand of telly's they have onboard, then you will pay top dollar for the priviledge.

Have to say the only company i've not yet been with is Norfolkline.....for the simple reason i've not yet found a cheaper fare with them than the others.
thanks bulletguy i was begining to think i was the only sane one on the site when booking a ferry :ROFLMAO:never seen a telly on one of them ferrys ( in the bar ) thanks keith :winky:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
thanks bulletguy i was begining to think i was the only sane one on the site when booking a ferry :Rofl1
Very few of us around mate.
Never fails to amaze me the amount of folk who stick with the same ferry company year in year out which just goes to show there are plenty of people around with money to burn. :RollEyes:

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Very few of us around mate.
Never fails to amaze me the amount of folk who stick with the same ferry company year in year out which just goes to show there are plenty of people around with money to burn. :RollEyes:
as i said before bulletguy if the price is right just book, there all the same ( please all ferry companys if ye reading this dnt make me regret them words ) :ROFLMAO: i wont live it down on here ? thanks keith::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Last year when we went with a Toad in June, the cheapest was the tunnel, have also used Norfolk Line, P&O and SeaFrance at different times when they were the cheapest.

Just shop around, but expect different results each time you do, theres no rewards for loyalty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back