HELP Rockwood problems in Arcachon France ! (1 Viewer)

Rocky 803

Free Member
Mar 3, 2009
Funster No
HELP !
We are currently in the Arcachon area of France and have hit a problem.
Our brakes have seized on and we need to get recovered to repair garage which will be able to cope with our Rockwood motorhome.
We have break down and recovery cover but need to know if anybody knows Where to get recovered to in Arcachon.
Obviously time is of the essence so any immediate suggestions would be much appreciated !!:cry:

Going nowhere fast !!

Anne .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Anne, what a first post:Sad: How unfortunate. If you get know joy here, get the recovery guy to recommend someone. If they are recovering large vehicles regularly I would have thought they would see you right. Best of luck:thumb::thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Is this the parked up hand brake on and when you went to move on brakes siezed game?

Just a thought, if it's the handbrake, what chassis/age of Rockwood?

Again, if it is have you tried 'rock' the RV, ie into drive, a little power, off again and into reverse and a little power (I do mean little) and repeat a few times?

Some RVs I believe have brakes that apply by default or under certain situations but I'm bu$$$%ed if I can remember the finer points???? I'm sure someone ages ago had some issue along those lines....

Best of luck?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
HELP !
We are currently in the Arcachon area of France and have hit a problem.
Our brakes have seized on and we need to get recovered to repair garage which will be able to cope with our Rockwood motorhome.
We have break down and recovery cover but need to know if anybody knows Where to get recovered to in Arcachon.
Obviously time is of the essence so any immediate suggestions would be much appreciated !!:cry:

Going nowhere fast !!

Anne .

Hi Anne.
Sorry to hear about your situation, if I was you I would to talk to some of the truck garages, DAF, SCANIA, IVECO, there will be a local one that the recovery driver should be able to advise you about.
French hgv fitters are usually quite handy and helpful although you probably won't get it looked at until tomorrow.:Doh:

Good Luck and keep smiling.

Mike.

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Hi, I dont know of your brakes are disc or drum, if its the rear axle and its drum brakes you could try giving the wheel rim a sharp tap with a mallet somewhere betweel the wheel nuts. this only applies if your van has been left in the same place for a few weeks with the handbrake on and if you've got steel wheels not alloys. While parked up at home on level ground I leave the van in gear rather than with the handbrake on.
I hope you get it sorted.

John

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I wonder if its the auto apply handbrake?

Olley

OP
OP
R

Rocky 803

Free Member
Mar 3, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for your concern

Is this the parked up hand brake on and when you went to move on brakes siezed game?

Just a thought, if it's the handbrake, what chassis/age of Rockwood?

Again, if it is have you tried 'rock' the RV, ie into drive, a little power, off again and into reverse and a little power (I do mean little) and repeat a few times?

Some RVs I believe have brakes that apply by default or under certain situations but I'm bu$$$%ed if I can remember the finer points???? I'm sure someone ages ago had some issue along those lines....

Best of luck?

Hi
It is the front l/h disc/pad that is sticking.
it is just getting hotter and hotter as we move so can't now at allI will do as you suggest and let the breakdown guys advise
many thanks
Anne

OP
OP
R

Rocky 803

Free Member
Mar 3, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for your concern

Hi Anne.
Sorry to hear about your situation, if I was you I would to talk to some of the truck garages, DAF, SCANIA, IVECO, there will be a local one that the recovery driver should be able to advise you about.
French hgv fitters are usually quite handy and helpful although you probably won't get it looked at until tomorrow.:Doh:

Good Luck and keep smiling.

Mike.

Many thanks Mike
Thats what I think we will do as their local knowledge should help
We are still smiling!!
Regards
Anne

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Ah ha!

Sticky caliper! Any good with tools?

Jack up left front, remove wheel and get a good strong G clamp. Use G clamp to compress the caliper in situ, go gentle and slowly, it will be stiff to start with, and make sure you're on solid surfaces, not pipes etc. You'd (mechanic) need to end up with G clamp typically at the back on the caliper itself and the front on the outer pad.
Compress gently all the way in then gently apply the brake and repeat several times and that should sort you.

Wrap a rag around the master cylinder just in case of leeks and when finished give a thorough check around the caliper for leeks, am I spelling leeks right?:Blush:

Had this loads of times on loads of vehicles and usually once freed off they are fine, which reminds me our front left on Winne sticks ocationally, must have a look myself!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, if your Rockwood is built on the Oshkosh chassis ie the Beachwood, I would say without hesitation its the rubber flexi pipes that the iner has separated from the outer,not allowing the flued to return,therfore the caliper is sticking.
If you undo the blead nipple and brake flued gushes out this will confirm.
This is a common fault with this chassis when it is older.
Do not allow them to replace the calliper,or recondition it,as the problem will return,you have to replace the flexipipe.
Regards, Dave.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back